Used 2010 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Will never go back to gas engines
By eastcoast

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

11,000 miles on a 2010 X5 diesel and I love it. Excellent build quality, performance, comfort, and zero defects. (I'll be first in line for the new X5 4.0d in 2011.) I like the comfort/convenience of an SUV while knowing that clean diesel doesn't pollute like a gas SUV. I looked at the 555hp X5 M, but I can't stomach guzzling gas and polluting like that any more. No tire problems yet. (And yes, whiners in the previous post, your X5 does have a spare tire. Try reading your owner's manual.) I've had 6 X5s since 2001. Although this is the most truck-like vehicle BMW has ever made, it has the best combination of performance, fuel efficiency, low emissions.

Favorite Features

28.5 mpg pure highway (optimal conditions). City/highway combined mpg: 23. That's great for a 5,300 lb vehicle. Add 3 passengers, and it's 3 tons. Comfort seats are the best. The new iDrive/navigation is vastly improved. The torque is great in the mountains.

Suggested Improvements

BMW, pay attention: not all buyers equate noise with performance. This X5 is quieter than the last generation, but you can still tune out more exhaust and road noise. Diesel engine noise is fine but the exhaust note is too intrusive especially on hard acceleration. Your competitors all are quieter.

I can't believe it's a diesel!
By JACK

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I just took delivery of my 2010 X5 35D and am grinning from ear to ear from the driving experience and the superb turbo diesel engine. I have owned 3 series BMWs previously, but decided to buy something bigger. All in all, the fit and finish and the quality of materials used is second to none. The new I-drive is more intuitive than I anticipated. So far, my only complaint is that the car is a bit difficult to get in and out of. I equipped my X5 with running boards purely for aesthetics and found that it actually impedes one's ability to enter and exit the car and leaves dirt on one's pants. My experience with the car is too new to report on its fuel efficiency. The sound system is nice.

Favorite Features

Turbo diesel engine growl during acceleration. Fit and finish of the car. Confidence inspiring handling. The std. sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Offer better value-oriented option packages. Re-design the running boards and the placement of them so that is actually assists the driver and passengers with entering and exiting. Make a better third row seat that adults can actually sit in.

Update after 6500 miles
By Rick

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

After 6500 miles this car has not had a single problem. Average fuel economy is 26.3 mpg. Most of my trips have been 300-400 miles of highway at 80- 85 mph with 60 or so miles of urban driving. For me, this is such a perfect vehicle as it handles long open stretches effortlessly but handles like a sports car in cities and mountains. To those who have rated this car low I can only suggest either they are an anomaly or they have an agenda.

Favorite Features

The heated / cooled adjustable seats can be tuned so precisely to your body as to seem like they are molded. Once you learn the I drive system its hard to go back to a conventional vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

The rear storage area could be slightly better as two sets of golf clubs are a little snug.

Amazing vehicle but tires are major flaw
By glouis188

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I love this vehicle!I ordered the diesel even though I live in Minnesota and it delivers as advertised even in -18 deg.It's worth every penny regardless of the negative reviews on price and the I-Drive (which is great!).I'm a car guy and this thing just rocks.Close your eyes, sign on the line and you won't be sorry. No comparison to any of the other Lux SUVs that I drove, amazing! One issue to keep in mind. The vehicle came with Bridgestone Dueler H/L tires as OE and they are awful. Since new, they have droned on so loudly that I went back to the dealer at 850 miles thinking there was an issue.There is, as they are cupping but the dealers hands are tied until 5K miles. Avoid these tires!

Favorite Features

The Diesel is seamless and their doesn't seem to be a spool up lag as with other turbos. Combined mileage is ~24 at low temp and constant snow. The Idrive is very easy now and I haven't looked at the manual. I'm 6'6" and very comfortable as the car is so open and the sunroof makes it even better

Suggested Improvements

The Bridgestone tires are dreadful...period.

Love it!
By PJ

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My Land Rover LR3 lease was coming to an end and I have been looking at a lot of different options for my next vehicle. I came across a black X5 Diesel on the BMW of Arlington website and decided to take a test drive. I was really impressed from the moment I first got in. It is very well appointed, has lots of useful technologies, and is amazing to drive. I really liked my LR3 but the X5 is part sports car and part SUV. The diesel is so strong and awfully quiet. Fuel mileage is double what I got in the LR3. The parking attendants at my parking garage think it is the nicest vehicle they have ever seen. Best car decision I ever made.

Favorite Features

The diesel engine - powerful, quiet, great fuel efficiency. Technological features like the Nav system with traffic updates, parking assist, etc.

Suggested Improvements

None that I have found yet.