Used 2010 BMW X5 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )

2010 BMW X5d
By Retired Dan

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My wife and I love this car. It is very easy to drive and comfortable. The memory seats and adjustments work well for us because she is "short" and I am "tall". As soon as you unlock the doors with the remote, the proper adjustments to driver seat, mirrors, etc. are done for you. We've had cars with this in the past but this one just seems to work better. The diesel is great with lots of power and the mileage is good, 18-23 mpg. The diesel is very quiet except when it's cold but when it warms up, it purrs like a kitten. We have the 3rd row seat for our grand-kids and it works fine for them but I don't think 2 adults would be comfortable.

Ride, overall performance, i-drive, diesel motor and feeling of security.

The brake dust is the worst I've seen on any vehicle I've owned. The wheels always look dirty unless they are cleaned every 2 or 3 days and there are some flaws in the paint.

2010 BMW X5d
By Retired Dan

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We love this car. The diesel is a strong performer and good mileage. We have not experienced the lag time on start up that testers have stated. We got the 3rd row seat to accommodate grand kids and it works great for that, not enough room for adults though. The ride is quiet and firm which we like. We don't even notice the diesel noise, it purrs like a kitten!

Ride, interior, the i-drive, front seats and cargo space.

Do something about the brake dust. The wheels always look dirty! Worst brake dust I've ever seen on a car and we do not drive the car hard! Not to happy with the paint. We have found some flaws and if you look real hard, there is some bletchiness after a good wax.

Awesome Engine
By Dave

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Awesome engine and handling. Picking it up at Factory Performance Center was an outstanding experience and makes you feel really safe in this vehicle. So far we are averaging 24 mpg and this engine really rocks. Thought we wouldn't like the "I" drive, however, it is really easy to use.

Engine and handling performance.

Air conditioning system is undersized. Electronic shifter can be done away with. Get rid of the run flat tires. Needes dual sun visors.

My first BMW
By red308

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I researched and test drove all the leading 2010 SUVs that are not gas hogs. Far and away the BMW X5 diesel was the best driving experience. Mercedes was #2 and Lexus was #3. The x5 diesel was the most responsive under all driving conditions. It combines the right amount of power with a great feel for the road. The brakes are incredible. The acceleration is excellent. The ergonomics are outstanding. For me, the engineers at BMW have really done their homework. I love the iDrive interface and the integration with my Apple iPhone and iPod. The backup sensors, rear camera and overhead view are superior to anything I saw from other manufacturers. Very happy with my choice.

I learned in this process that even the competitors acknowledge why BMW is called the ultimate driving machine. Each time a test drove a car I told the sales person what cars were on my list. Each time I said that the X5 diesel was in the list you could tell they knew the competition was strong.

Open grill to radiator should be better shielded from bugs (like the Lexus). Cutout in bumper for hitch could be improved. There is a learning curve for all the controls but the manual is quite good. Not sure if everyone takes the time to read it though. Rear privacy glass not standalone option

*drool*
By Abhi

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've never come across a car that is fun to drive each and every time you press the "start/stop" button! The X35D turbo is a rocket on the highway. If the highway is empty and I'm just craving a little get-pushed-in-your-seat-on-take- off fun, I just release the hounds. The 3.0 gas is not bad, but the 3.5D is just plain amazing. Interior technology is great. The backseat is actually spacious like a sedan and not like most SUV's where it's a bit narrower with no thigh support. The engine is of course a bit louder but the roar when you giddy up is fun.

Twin Turbo, Seamless Idrive-Ipod integration, most comfortable SUV seats ever, Google Maps integration with BMW Assist.

Need to figure out a better design for the running boards - they look good but seem to get in the way a bit when getting in and out (might be my fault since I'm not that tall)

• SUV