2010 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )
Good but not good enough
By Bill Hopper Jr on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We bought a BMW diesel X5 and there is a lot of good things too say like room, looks, fuel economy and performance however in the age of information all I can say is SHAME on BMW. With all the so called advances surrounding information systems BMW has missed the mark by more than a country mile. The important variables like oil pressure, coolant temperature and battery voltage level are all missing. This information is all "vital" since they provide valuable insight when a system is "starting" to fail. I prefer and I am sure that many other drivers would prefer to have maintenance done before you are in a location or at a time where help is hours away. Again SHAME on BMW & our salesmen.

I Love This Car!
By Todd Ramming on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have owned my 2010 BMW X5 35d for 10 months and like the car more now than ever. The car is a pleasure to drive and gets very good mileage (about 29 mpg highway for me) for a large vehicle. The low-end torque of the diesel makes it a fun and safe car to drive. Some people like to hate iDrive, but in 2010 BMW fixed the main issue by adding buttons so that many features can be accessed in one step rather than navigating through menus. This is an amazingly clean diesel. Hold your hand behind the exhaust for a while. There is no soot or smell. Great for driving family and dogs around town and on long trips.

If you need an SUV, consider a Diesel
By Diesel Convert on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The 2010 BMW X5 35d (Diesel) has many advantages and very few disadvantages over its gasoline counterparts. MPG is outstanding (got 30 MPG NY to VA Beach with 4 adults and 600 lb luggage). Torque rivals that of V8 Model. Main disadvantage is that you can't use biodiesel with a bio content >5%. Compared to the 3.0 or the 4.8 L version, the diesel is a bargain. Yeah, it's a little louder than the 3.0, but 35d's sound under full throttle rivals that of the V8 version. Another downside is that you can't (or couldn't) get the sport package. Whether it's the X5D or the Audi Q7D, luxury SUV buyers should really consider the advantages in fuel economy w/o loss of performance.

Love it still, after 18,500 miles
By cablue on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I am so happy I bought this diesel! I've had it for 10 months now, and I still look forward to driving it every day. I'm getting 28.5-29 mpg. pure hwy. driving. Mixed driving I'm getting around 24.5-25.

Expectations Met or Exceeded
By bxj on 08/22/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Did my due diligence (research, test drives) and ordered from factory to my specs. Very satisfied overall - traded in my 2003 530i (great car)- no regrets other than when I signed the check. Great combination of fun to drive/fuel economy/cargo capacity.

WOW including MPG
By JC55 on 07/21/10 13:21 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We wanted an upgraded fuel conscience SUV, the X5 Diesel is all that we expected and more. On a road trip we could not believe the performance in a variety of road types and conditions, we kept thinking the fuel gauge was not working, fortunately it was! Great performance with comfort and passing fueling stations. Can't rate higher than perfect 10s.

Not totally in love
By Dorothy on 07/19/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My husband loves the engine. It's quiet and peppy. We live in the country and are averaging only 20 mpg. You really do have to read the owner's manual. On the down side my car sits at the dealership because the computer system went down at service and a part has to be manufactured. Five weeks and counting. BMW has been attentive to the situation.

Awesome
By Dr.K on 06/01/10 19:01 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Just purchased X5 35D it is a great vehicle addresses all the short coming of the previous X5 specially in fuel economy and space utilization. The I-drive takes sometime to get used to but a great improvement over the previous one. We love the all around view of the camera, simply said WELL DONE BMW.

2010 BMW X5d
By Retired Dan on 05/31/10 15:11 PM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

My wife and I love this car. It is very easy to drive and comfortable. The memory seats and adjustments work well for us because she is "short" and I am "tall". As soon as you unlock the doors with the remote, the proper adjustments to driver seat, mirrors, etc. are done for you. We've had cars with this in the past but this one just seems to work better. The diesel is great with lots of power and the mileage is good, 18-23 mpg. The diesel is very quiet except when it's cold but when it warms up, it purrs like a kitten. We have the 3rd row seat for our grand-kids and it works fine for them but I don't think 2 adults would be comfortable.

2010 BMW X5d
By Retired Dan on 05/30/10 11:27 AM (PDT)

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We love this car. The diesel is a strong performer and good mileage. We have not experienced the lag time on start up that testers have stated. We got the 3rd row seat to accommodate grand kids and it works great for that, not enough room for adults though. The ride is quiet and firm which we like. We don't even notice the diesel noise, it purrs like a kitten!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2010 BMW X5 Diesel in VA is:

$127 per month*