Used 2010 BMW X5 xDrive35d Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (33 reviews )

Good but not good enough
By Bill Hopper Jr

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

We bought a BMW diesel X5 and there is a lot of good things too say like room, looks, fuel economy and performance however in the age of information all I can say is SHAME on BMW. With all the so called advances surrounding information systems BMW has missed the mark by more than a country mile. The important variables like oil pressure, coolant temperature and battery voltage level are all missing. This information is all "vital" since they provide valuable insight when a system is "starting" to fail. I prefer and I am sure that many other drivers would prefer to have maintenance done before you are in a location or at a time where help is hours away. Again SHAME on BMW & our salesmen.

Plenty of room and the diesel is great giving us reasonably fuel economy and plenty of power. Also having all wheel drive lets us go in snow areas to ski.

Needs a battery voltmeter, oil pressure and water temperature gauges. Sun visors are too high. Needs a tailgate rated to hold two people. Needs a 6 speed stick for added fun in driving a sports model like this. Also it needs an oil dip stick so we can check the oil level. This is more reliable.

I Love This Car!
By Todd Ramming

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have owned my 2010 BMW X5 35d for 10 months and like the car more now than ever. The car is a pleasure to drive and gets very good mileage (about 29 mpg highway for me) for a large vehicle. The low-end torque of the diesel makes it a fun and safe car to drive. Some people like to hate iDrive, but in 2010 BMW fixed the main issue by adding buttons so that many features can be accessed in one step rather than navigating through menus. This is an amazingly clean diesel. Hold your hand behind the exhaust for a while. There is no soot or smell. Great for driving family and dogs around town and on long trips.

I ordered the heads-up display (projects info on windshield) and the seat with ventilation and "seat massaging". I love both features.

None.

If you need an SUV, consider a Diesel
By Diesel Convert

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The 2010 BMW X5 35d (Diesel) has many advantages and very few disadvantages over its gasoline counterparts. MPG is outstanding (got 30 MPG NY to VA Beach with 4 adults and 600 lb luggage). Torque rivals that of V8 Model. Main disadvantage is that you can't use biodiesel with a bio content >5%. Compared to the 3.0 or the 4.8 L version, the diesel is a bargain. Yeah, it's a little louder than the 3.0, but 35d's sound under full throttle rivals that of the V8 version. Another downside is that you can't (or couldn't) get the sport package. Whether it's the X5D or the Audi Q7D, luxury SUV buyers should really consider the advantages in fuel economy w/o loss of performance.

Torque.

Rear gate should be closeable from inside the vehicle. Tow package should be standard

Love it still, after 18,500 miles
By cablue

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I am so happy I bought this diesel! I've had it for 10 months now, and I still look forward to driving it every day. I'm getting 28.5-29 mpg. pure hwy. driving. Mixed driving I'm getting around 24.5-25.

Comfort seats! It's a must-have! Diesel engine is awesome. A lot of power and great gas mileage for this size of a vehicle. Great sunroof and spaciousness inside.

With rear climate pkg, tinted windows are too light. Standard stereo is POOR! VERY disappointed in that. If you're into music, do the upgrade. Wish I had. Can open the rear hatch from inside but cannot close it from inside. Sun visor should have an extension.

Expectations Met or Exceeded
By bxj

2010 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Did my due diligence (research, test drives) and ordered from factory to my specs. Very satisfied overall - traded in my 2003 530i (great car)- no regrets other than when I signed the check. Great combination of fun to drive/fuel economy/cargo capacity.

Turbo Diesel power once you get moving, fuel economy, BMW handling, brakes and the first class build quality that keeps you coming back.

Eliminate the very slight turbo lag, reduce engine noise in cabin (ok but could be better);Offer more options for Adjustable suspension (bit on the firm side as expected): Center console double lid can complicate access until you get used to it.