Used 2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

First BMW
By lsd1

2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The 2010 BMW X5 was my entry into the BMW brand. It is a nice blend of car and SUV. I bought it with 12,000 miles so took advantage of a price discount by the dealer. I have put 14,000 miles on the car so far and have been pleased. The 2010 'control wheel' (which manages access to radio, navigation, etc.) is much more user friendly than I expected, and improved over 2009 and earlier versions. The finishes and quality earn the great reputation this brand has achieved. Have not had any service issues with the car since purchase.

Suggested Improvements

Key observations: 1) The car came with the third row seating, which really does not seem functional. 2) Main complaint are the factory installed running boards which makes getting in and out of the car more challenging. I tried to have the boards removed, but the dealer confirmed this is not realistically possible do to factory install. 3) Also, have to really dip my head (I'm only 5'8") to clear the door opening when getting in an out. But, once inside, all is good. 4) Be sure to check for your desired seat position and be aware of a 'blind spot' which is much more obvious in some positions. While all cars have blind spots, this one can be unusually unique.

No Southern Comfort
By RBROADWELL

2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I leased this 2010 X5 for my wife. I have never leased a car before, but I am glad I did since I will be getting rid of this vehicle ASAP. The car is a gas guzzler and you are constantly filling up. It is just outright inconvenient. The fuel tank is just too small. The backup sensor system so sensitive that it is obnoxious. The air conditioning system is inadequate and very noisy. The left side of the drivers face is always hot during SC Summer months as the A/C airflow is entirely inadequate. Run flat tires seem good until you have a flat or blowout. Then you must depend on BMW roadside service which is useless on the weekends. Very disappointed in this vehicle for the price of the lease.

Favorite Features

15,000 mile service interval is nice, but don't leave it up to your wife to check the oil or tires.

Suggested Improvements

The 2010 X5 needs a far more powerful A/C system and needs to add a spare tire...you are kaput with even minor tire damage. Don't even think about taking this vehicle off road. Fuel range needs dramatic improvement and the backup sensor system needs refinement. Revamp roadside assistance program

Nice car, but unreliable
By 1stBMW

2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Car is great. I have everything except Navigation package. X5 drove great for the first 5200 miles until the electrical system and comfort access failed. Been without my ride I've had for 5 months for two weeks now. This is my first BMW, and may be my last, since the X5 is proving to be unreliable.

Favorite Features

Get up and go, handling (love the sport suspension compared to the base), the upgrade seats (very comfortable).

Suggested Improvements

Vehicle needs to be reliable. The service department for BMW needs to show confidence in repairing problems instead of shaking their heads saying they're "looking at it." Try replacing the bad parts!

Better than advertised
By Bigpunnisher51

2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Well I've spent about a week with my 2010 X5 3.0. Initial impressions are quite favorable. I am quite taken by the overall fit and finish of the vehicle, it's absolutely beautiful. I went with Sapphire Black, and every option available. Driving thus far has been refined, although I am going to miss that raw thrust and power of my outgoing FX 45, but I need to slow down anyway. Hopefully it will be as reliable as the FX

Good but miss expectation
By lbc

2010 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Got the new X5 for a very good price. With just a few hundreds over invoice and factoring in the $2500 rebate, great deal. Had a BMW 330i with ZHP before. Expected a similar "best in class" dynamic. Was quite disappointed. The vehicle is close to my outgoing 2001 MDX than the 330i in terms of performance and handling. Don't know about the turning radius myth. Where my MDX could make a straight U turn, I have had to do w/ 3 point turns. Big gaps in the doors letting dirts in. Tires are run-flat only. Hugely expensive as BMW disallow repairs. A small nail had cost me $400.

Favorite Features

Great exterior, best looking in class. Solid feeling on the road. Relatively good cornering manner. Not much tilting.

Suggested Improvements

Please, let me have a regular tire. Extremely noisy. Very expensive. Pointless. Need more horse power to move the massive body. Can we have more precise engineering to have smaller gaps that can match an 8 year old Acura?