2009 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Best Green SUV

2009 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Review

Best Green SUV
By I Offset on

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've led a double life for years. I'm a committed environmentalist, and at the same time I'm an SUV lover. I love SUV's because I'm 6'4", I'm claustrophobic, and I have a kid, dogs and a horse so I need to be able to haul a lot of gear. But I also totally believe that if we can't all reduce our carbon footprint our children's children will face some huge problems. So, two years ago I traded in my Range Rover for a Mercedes ML 500, and last month I traded that in for the new BMW X5 diesel. I got 12 MPG with the Range Rover, 15.5 with the ML 500 (both on premium), and so far (after 650 miles) I am getting 20.1 mpg on the X5. Not as good as a Prius, BUT WAY BETTER TO DRIVE.

1. Super smooth ride/drive. ML tranny was jerky - not this. Felt every bump on my Rover and ML - not on X5. 2. Awesome seat comfort (have the fully adjustable ones). 3. Amazing torque. I live in SF Bay area; we have BIG hills; X5 drives like I'm in KS. 4. I-Drive is EASY.

Nothing major. Just silly details: 1. Wish the exterior mirrors folded in automatically as one exits the vehicle. 2. Not sure why the rear view camera takes so long to come up on the screen after one shifts into reverse.