Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Early impressions 100%
By Stimulus

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a dealer demo with 8000 miles. Paid $51K pre-tax, sticker of $63K, Invoice of $57K. Included $4500 eco credit. Dealer extended Warranty to 55,000 miles. I have driven 3000 miles so far and can find nothing to fault. Performance and handling is superb. There is no turbo lag if you use kick-down mode or shift to M1 for quick starts. Hiway accel is gutsy, mind the staties. I-Drive is easy to use, but it helps to practice when you are not driving. The Nav is DVD based but terrific. BMW Assist lets you download locations from Google Maps. Cool. I drive a lot in my job. Mileage averages 21mpg around New England and Boston. 27mpg on a long hiway trip at 75mph to 80mph.

Engine, brakes, I-Drive, Audio System (pop in a USB stick, IPOD too), full moon roof, seats.

I would prefer a bigger center console, but the split lid is really cool.

Our first deisel & BMW
By mdezine

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked up a demo w/7500mi on it. Loaded with most options. The torque is plentiful, if switched to sport mode, it's even sweeter. Drove 1500+miles in 5 days and had no body aches. Very precise steering and fantastic brakes. The turning headlights and fog lights illuminate the roadway very well. Sound system is also amazing. This SAV is a blast to drive. It's my wife's so don't get to drive it much, but I feel good to have my family travel in this solid vehicle. Good crash ratings. Everyone says that the i-drive is a pain, however everything new in the world of electronics has a learning curve, once you master it, its all intuitive. Patience is a virtue. Lastly we got 27mpg on our road trip.

Steering, braking, sound system, safety features, real time traffic updates, heads up display, bluetooth, panoramic glass roof, sport mode, 600+mile range w/one tank. 4yr/50000mi maintenance plan, BMW roadside service, BMW SOS plan, heated steering and most of all the torque.

Replace run flats with normal tires. Provide spare tire for 3rd row option.

I got what I hoped
By Aussie_Rob

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been researching an SUV (Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, Discovery 3 or Bimmer) for 4 months and after a lot of deliberation went for the X5 turbo. I couldn't be more thrilled with what I got. The turbo is smooth and delivers great performance and yet is amazingly fuel efficient for a large vehicle. I'm 6'3" and so there is plenty of space, great driving position and visibility. I had an E90 325 manual and the X5 isn't any slower and the handling isn't vastly different. My wife thought paying this much for a car ($90k Aussie) was ludicrous but she's already a convert - "it's very comfortable isn't it??" She never liked the 325. So I'm wrapped - so far anyway.

Turbo diesel. Rear door opener. Drink holders location. Seats. Front & rear parking sensors. Visibility. Fuel economy. Exterior design.Interior space. "Secret" glove compartment. All the gadgets and tie downs in the rear trunk area.

Make the iDrive more intuitive. I agree with the guy who suggested you could have an accident trying to get it to work when driving. Make run flat tires optional.

Very Happy with Diesel X5
By NorthernVABMWdriver

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my 6th X5 and probably my favorite. I like the idea of driving clean-diesel and a more fuel efficient SUV without much trade off in performance and comfort. Acceleration is excellent; it feels faster than performance numbers indicate. Diesel engine clatter does not intrude into the cabin; you would not know it's has a diesel engine from the interior. I custom order my BMWs and this one took only 9 days from production start to delivery.

Comfort seats are a must-buy option. Heads up display. Taught suspension. Tight build quality. Upgraded sound system is very good. Roomy interior.

Reduce the exhaust rumble. It's "sporty" but can be annoying and intrudes excessively into the interior. OEM tires are poor performers with short tread life. Remove the backup camera from the technology package. It's a useless waste of money that takes too long to start, so I just turn it off.

X-5 Diesel
By Lakerdad

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Clean burn diesel engine and great fuel mileage, no black smoke or smell. A little bite noisy when standing by the car. When staying inside of the car, cannot tell the difference between gas and diesel engines! It is the first BMW I own. Hopefully the quality as good as Japanese products!

Handling is great!

Most X-5 Diesel equipped a few option. That is a disappointment!