2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Best Green SUV
By I Offset on 03/01/09 20:53 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've led a double life for years. I'm a committed environmentalist, and at the same time I'm an SUV lover. I love SUV's because I'm 6'4", I'm claustrophobic, and I have a kid, dogs and a horse so I need to be able to haul a lot of gear. But I also totally believe that if we can't all reduce our carbon footprint our children's children will face some huge problems. So, two years ago I traded in my Range Rover for a Mercedes ML 500, and last month I traded that in for the new BMW X5 diesel. I got 12 MPG with the Range Rover, 15.5 with the ML 500 (both on premium), and so far (after 650 miles) I am getting 20.1 mpg on the X5. Not as good as a Prius, BUT WAY BETTER TO DRIVE.

Finally!
By Hazbeen on 02/11/09 08:09 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I've been a long time Porsche/BMW/Mercedes driver and this is by far the best all around vehicle I have ever owned. I enjoyed my M3/997 more from a pure driver's standpoint but I can actually carry my dry cleaning home now. The new X5 is a terrific package and the diesel power plant completes it nicely. I have wanted a proper diesel power plant in a daily driver for some time now as the advantages during a daily commute are obvious: torque while being fuel efficient and low rev requirements to get the job done. It feels as quick as the V8 powered X5, however provides guilt free driving while in view of my Sierra Club neighbors.

2009 BMW X5 35d BiTurboDiesel
By Stephan on 01/19/09 12:41 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I am driving the all new 2009 X5 diesel since one month, approx. 1000 miles. Before I drove already the X5 3.0 I6 cylinder for 2 years and the X5 4.4 V8. The diesel engine fits that car best!! The torque is huge - no difference to the V8. The mileage is about 25 mpg, even in those days extreme winter temperatures. By the way I didn't had any winter problems so far. The 2008/2009 update to the X5 is significant to the older models, e.g. more space in back row and trunk. Also remote trunk opener, keyless comfort entry, rear view camera are nice features. I love my all new X5 35d.

2009 X5 35D
By CHATTGUY on 01/16/09 02:51 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Diesel mpg averages 28-30 at 60-70mph, in town I am getting about 22 mpg. I was worried about the iDrive, but it works great once you understand it. The voice navigation is best I have used. Power tailgate sounds flimsy, but works. Power is awesome from the 3.0 diesel, frugal yet powerful. I was concerned about ride with runflats, but so far just seems a little stiff.

Diesel: Who Knew?
By Jon on 01/12/09 15:08 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The X5 Diesel is a phenomenal vehicle. It handles and rides like a dream. The gadgets are the best quality, and the ride and efficiency are true BMW. I don't want another SUV.

Excellent
By Martin on 12/18/08 06:58 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Just picked up my ordered BMW X5 xDrive35d (diesel) that I had ordered back in August 2008. Ordered every option possible (costly). It was worth the wait. The diesel is very quite and drives like a dream. The torque is huge and available at any speed. The twin turbo diesel engine does a magnificent job. There is absolutely no lag at all. You punch it, and it goes. With that much power, you really do not need the big 4.8i. I was debating between the diesel and the 4.8i for the longest time, but now I am very glad that I went for the diesel. Picked up the x5 2 weeks ago with a full tank. Drove 500 km and still have more that quarter tank of fuel left. Fuel mileage, so far so good.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.