Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

I got what I hoped
By Aussie_Rob

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been researching an SUV (Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, Discovery 3 or Bimmer) for 4 months and after a lot of deliberation went for the X5 turbo. I couldn't be more thrilled with what I got. The turbo is smooth and delivers great performance and yet is amazingly fuel efficient for a large vehicle. I'm 6'3" and so there is plenty of space, great driving position and visibility. I had an E90 325 manual and the X5 isn't any slower and the handling isn't vastly different. My wife thought paying this much for a car ($90k Aussie) was ludicrous but she's already a convert - "it's very comfortable isn't it??" She never liked the 325. So I'm wrapped - so far anyway.

Favorite Features

Turbo diesel. Rear door opener. Drink holders location. Seats. Front & rear parking sensors. Visibility. Fuel economy. Exterior design.Interior space. "Secret" glove compartment. All the gadgets and tie downs in the rear trunk area.

Suggested Improvements

Make the iDrive more intuitive. I agree with the guy who suggested you could have an accident trying to get it to work when driving. Make run flat tires optional.

Very Happy with Diesel X5
By NorthernVABMWdriver

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my 6th X5 and probably my favorite. I like the idea of driving clean-diesel and a more fuel efficient SUV without much trade off in performance and comfort. Acceleration is excellent; it feels faster than performance numbers indicate. Diesel engine clatter does not intrude into the cabin; you would not know it's has a diesel engine from the interior. I custom order my BMWs and this one took only 9 days from production start to delivery.

Favorite Features

Comfort seats are a must-buy option. Heads up display. Taught suspension. Tight build quality. Upgraded sound system is very good. Roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Reduce the exhaust rumble. It's "sporty" but can be annoying and intrudes excessively into the interior. OEM tires are poor performers with short tread life. Remove the backup camera from the technology package. It's a useless waste of money that takes too long to start, so I just turn it off.

X-5 Diesel
By Lakerdad

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Clean burn diesel engine and great fuel mileage, no black smoke or smell. A little bite noisy when standing by the car. When staying inside of the car, cannot tell the difference between gas and diesel engines! It is the first BMW I own. Hopefully the quality as good as Japanese products!

Favorite Features

Handling is great!

Suggested Improvements

Most X-5 Diesel equipped a few option. That is a disappointment!

Our First Diesel
By pedalian

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Purchased this as a demo vehicle, have put over 4000 miles on it so far. The diesel is amazing. This thing has power! My wife drives it to work every day on the freeway, getting about 28mpg on the highway. Our combined average is 24.5 (according to the computer). Very comfortable to drive. We do have the 3rd row seats and they are pretty useless except for kids under 12. We checked out the VW Tourareg TDI as well and liked it too, very much. Almost got it instead, but we got better financing through BMW Financial. No regrets. Engine can use B5 biodiesel according to the manual, and I have been using that as well. No issues. (I mix 100% biodiesel at 20:1 ratio with regular diesel).

Favorite Features

Engine, mileage, ride, power. The bluetooth works well, and the iDrive is nice once you understand it. The large double-opening sunroof is very nice. Backup camera includes dynamic indicators showing your path as you move the steering wheel. Sounds/feels like a big V8.

Suggested Improvements

Please put an OFF button on the climate control (you have to press the fan control down button repeatedly to turn it off). Engine could be a little quieter at idle, and on initial take off.

BMW X5 Diesel
By palmharbor

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The diesel engine is perfect for this SUV.It is very solid and the transmission shifts smoothly. The ride is better than my previous SUV, a Mercedes ML500. The iDrive is very frustrating and the navigation system is poor compared to the older Mercedes system, and can't begin to compete with a $200 Garmin. There is no setting to automatically fold the power mirrors when locking the vehicle, and the front parking sensors are not full time - when pulling into my garage I must stop and push a button that also turns on the rear camera to check on the front. Amazingly, BMW does not include floor mats as standard equipment and they must be purchased separately from the dealer.

Favorite Features

The AC system is excellent and a one button push turns the fan to high and the setting to 60; after cooling another button returns the system to presets.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of iDrive; increase personal settings for mirrors; vastly improve the navigation system; permit the liftback to be opened from the outside if the driver's door is unlocked without having to push the dash button first. Offer a wood & leather steering wheel. Put a shallow tray in the center