Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Mixed feelings
By Matthew

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first SUV, or should I say SAV... what got my attention at the dealership was the exterior styling of this vehicle. Also, having never owned a spacious and roomy vehicle, I thought it was time for a change. What I love about my new X5 is the driving position because you sit up very high and the car has very good visibility all around. I also love the panoramic sunroof. I am not sure how I feel about the leatherette seats... they feel kind of rubbery although they seem very durable. I must say the seats are extremely supportive on long trips and adjust in many ways. I feel BMW should try to improve fuel economy in the gasoline engines as I did not want a diesel.

Favorite Features

Bi-Xenon Headlights, corona-rings on headlights, and cornering lights. Driving position. Roomy interior. Panoramic Sunroof. Awesome braking power for a 5,000lb vehicle! Cool shifter. Memory key settings very cool and easy.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. Ease of ingress/egress (running boards get in the way). Bass quality of std. audio system pathetic. LCD screen for iDrive too far out of driver's line of sight. Needs A/C vent center console. Larger included wheels/tires. Add more orange LED interior lighting. Ugly std. steering wheel.

Vermillion Red-Liner
By AIA

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 09 Vermillion Red X5. These are rare and had to be custom ordered. I have owned X5's in the past and this is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive and handles great like a true BMW even though it's a heavy vehicle. It has all the options imaginable. Gas mileage is great for such a beast.

Favorite Features

Voice activation, keyless entry and the fun to drive factor.

Suggested Improvements

Faster processor for the iDrive, rear camera to engage quicker, Park Distance to be 24/7. These are things that I am picky about.

Is this a SUV?
By Spirited SUV

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my Mercedes GL450 because we wanted something slightly smaller, but not give up the utility, and luxury-comfort. The X5 hits that mark perfectly. It has sporty handling but is still luxurious and quiet. Gets 20 MPG which is great in my book. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs and am super comfortable in it, and... my kids have room in the second seats!

Favorite Features

Nav, and sporty handling. Overall Luxo- feel to the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Interior design. Move door unlock button from the center dash to the door. Tailgate lift can be hit accidentally, (Bad if you are in your garage). Put paddle shifters on a sporty vehicle!

It's not a 330i but...
By PNC

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Went from a 2001 BMW X5 to a BMW 330i and now back to a 2009 X5. Needed the X5 to pull a boat, which it does with ease. The 2009 is much improved over the 2001 in terms of build quality. The 2001 X5 did have mechanical issues. I do miss the handling of the 330i but for a SUV, the 2009 X5 is as close as it gets!

Favorite Features

Build quality, iDrive, navigation, backup camera, 3.0 inline 6-cylinder engine, transmission is like silk, I laughed at the auto tailgate but now I would not get an X5 without it.

Suggested Improvements

Just touched (2 mph max) a cement pole at the bank ATM and the front bumper cracked. Wish the car had 2-wheel drive option instead of always 4-wheel drive.

Nothing Better
By Fleas

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I typically do not drive much. However, this X5 really makes you want to go out there and just ride. Everything about it is satisfying. The color I got was dark blue (monaco) with the saddle brown leather and it is just amazing. After tinting the windows I plan on putting the new BMW 21" 215 wheels in ferric grey! Amazing.

Favorite Features

Everything! There is nothing I do not like about this car. In fact, as I sit here this morning, I am ready to go ride.

Suggested Improvements

I really don't have any.