2009 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )
I got what I hoped
By Aussie_Rob on 08/24/09 19:30 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I have been researching an SUV (Landcruiser, Nissan Patrol, Discovery 3 or Bimmer) for 4 months and after a lot of deliberation went for the X5 turbo. I couldn't be more thrilled with what I got. The turbo is smooth and delivers great performance and yet is amazingly fuel efficient for a large vehicle. I'm 6'3" and so there is plenty of space, great driving position and visibility. I had an E90 325 manual and the X5 isn't any slower and the handling isn't vastly different. My wife thought paying this much for a car ($90k Aussie) was ludicrous but she's already a convert - "it's very comfortable isn't it??" She never liked the 325. So I'm wrapped - so far anyway.

Very Happy with Diesel X5
By NorthernVABMWdriver on 08/09/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my 6th X5 and probably my favorite. I like the idea of driving clean-diesel and a more fuel efficient SUV without much trade off in performance and comfort. Acceleration is excellent; it feels faster than performance numbers indicate. Diesel engine clatter does not intrude into the cabin; you would not know it's has a diesel engine from the interior. I custom order my BMWs and this one took only 9 days from production start to delivery.

X-5 Diesel
By Lakerdad on 08/06/09 12:23 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Clean burn diesel engine and great fuel mileage, no black smoke or smell. A little bite noisy when standing by the car. When staying inside of the car, cannot tell the difference between gas and diesel engines! It is the first BMW I own. Hopefully the quality as good as Japanese products!

Our First Diesel
By pedalian on 08/01/09 11:06 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Purchased this as a demo vehicle, have put over 4000 miles on it so far. The diesel is amazing. This thing has power! My wife drives it to work every day on the freeway, getting about 28mpg on the highway. Our combined average is 24.5 (according to the computer). Very comfortable to drive. We do have the 3rd row seats and they are pretty useless except for kids under 12. We checked out the VW Tourareg TDI as well and liked it too, very much. Almost got it instead, but we got better financing through BMW Financial. No regrets. Engine can use B5 biodiesel according to the manual, and I have been using that as well. No issues. (I mix 100% biodiesel at 20:1 ratio with regular diesel).

BMW X5 Diesel
By palmharbor on 07/30/09 04:39 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The diesel engine is perfect for this SUV.It is very solid and the transmission shifts smoothly. The ride is better than my previous SUV, a Mercedes ML500. The iDrive is very frustrating and the navigation system is poor compared to the older Mercedes system, and can't begin to compete with a $200 Garmin. There is no setting to automatically fold the power mirrors when locking the vehicle, and the front parking sensors are not full time - when pulling into my garage I must stop and push a button that also turns on the rear camera to check on the front. Amazingly, BMW does not include floor mats as standard equipment and they must be purchased separately from the dealer.

Even better than I first thought
By I Offset on 06/17/09 22:39 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

A brief update on my initial (3/1/09) review of my X5 diesel: Now at 5,025 total miles. Average mpg now 21.1 - even though average speed is only 28.5 mph (most of my driving is urban, much of that on the very hilly streets of San Francisco). Most impressive of all - not one single thing has needed repair or even minor adjusting. This is a first for me. Over the years I've been fortunate to have only had brand new cars, never used. One VW, one Lexus, five Mercedes, two Range Rovers, and one Toyota. Loved them all in one way or another, but all had needed overnight stays in the shop at least twice or more at this point in their lives. A BMW, made in SC, tops them all - amazing.

X5 Turbo Diesel (no 3rd row seating)
By Andrew on 06/15/09 07:03 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Had a 3.0 X5. Test drove Audi, Lexus, Acura, BMW gas, and fell for performance of X5 diesel. After 7,000 miles I am actually trading it in for MB ML350 diesel. BMW just not as comfortable. Seats not as supportive. Engine can be too loud. Satellite radio comes & goes. Passenger seat grinds/clicks when moved. Steering wheel squeaks when moved. Rt side speakers go dead on iPod integration. Need to roll the window up/down a few times to get speakers back. Steering wheel does not telescope long enough for 6-1 height. Engine performance is incredible. Second seat leg room is great. Cargo space is great. Just want more refinement. Maybe I am getting old.

3rd X5 - X5 35d Best SUV & Great MPG
By Jim on 04/30/09 09:09 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

This is my 3rd X5, my X5 35d has less features than my last one... I wanted the 35d and didn't want to order. I get 20 mpg in town, going long distance 35mpg. Great torque, better going uphill than gas engine. Better blue-tooth than previous years, have to let computer system boot...gives chance for car to warm up. Get Rear- Climate package...didn't get like past X5s...should have been patient and waited. My wife will be getting one when her 335 lease is up. 2 SUV family...best value and drive in its class. Must get running boards to finish off the look.

BMW 35d
By eddiebrannon on 03/17/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought the 35d last week it is a great car, fun to drive and the interior is elegant yet contemporary. The I drive with noted improvements, is still cumbersome and I have to duck my head to get into the vehicle. The windshield is swept a bit too far back creating an entry obstacle. However I still highly recommend this vehicle as it is state of the art and well worth the price! Driving is a pleasure, the turbo diesel is responsive and zippy! Ride is all you would expect from a car of this caliber. Cup holders are positioned well and there are plenty of auxiliary electronics ports. My wife doesn't care for the engine vibration at idle. The passenger climate controls are great.

X5 diesel review
By louis on 03/04/09 17:49 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The SUV while a little noisy outside is extremely quiet inside and comfortable with excellent power and very good fuel mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 BMW X5 Diesel in NJ is:

$249 per month*