Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Turbodiesel X5 Tops All Mid Size SUV's
By Bob A

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I waited 6 months to write a review of the turbodiesel X5 to make sure that there would be no issues with the engine. There aren't any issues with the diesel - its great! Plenty of power on the low end with good power at speed. The six cylinder gas engine is way underpowered. The V8 has great performance with terrible fuel economy. I am getting between 30 and 32 MPG on the highway and 18 MPG in local driving. Figure that you will average 22 MPG in combined driving.

Favorite Features

After the diesel engine my favorite features are the Heads Up Navigation Display, premium sound system, and the hidden trunk if you do not get the spare tire. The I-Drive is not as bad as the press makes it out to be. With a little practice it is easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

The annoying directional lever should be replaced with a mechanical lever. The electronic shifter control is counterintutive. You need to move the shifter forward for reverse and backward to go into drive. It is very easy to go into the wrong gear after you were driving another vehicle.

All that and more! Really!
By Doc

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Feels rocket fast because of the low end torque. 0 to 60 is only 0.6 sec. slower then the gas guzzling 4.8 liter gasoline version. I average 22.4 mpg. and I drive it like a sports car. The comfort stability and ride quality still astound me. For the first time I always want to drive... and everyone else asks to. The thing corners like a sports car and feels soooo smooth doing 100mph on the straight. Sound system is superb. You can hear the engine if the sound system is not on but it's not intrusive. I don't have the sport package with the expensive wheels so the visual is an understatement but the highway ride quality is actually a lot better without the fat tires...go figure.

Favorite Features

The multi way adjustable seat is pure heaven to me. The ride, the feel, the stability the responsiveness...did I mention the ride? THE DIESEL MILEAGE.

Suggested Improvements

Wouldn't mind nicer wheels without the fat tires. The rear gate automatic lift is temperamental enough to piss me off sometimes.

X5 Diesel Pros and Cons, mostly Pro
By NorhternVA

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

5,000 mile review: This vehicle is about compromise: V8 performance and SUV comfort with less pollution and up to 30 mpg highway. But there's no mistaking that this is a diesel. You can hear the clatter at low RPM. BMW designed the X5 model with a loud exhaust note, mistakenly thinking that buyers equate noise with performance. Add the diesel's louder, gravelly engine note to the already loud X5 exhaust note and you get a noisy driving experience. It quiets down at highway speeds, but the exhaust noise is constant, intrusive, and can be annoying. In the first 5,000 miles, mpg was 24.5 mixed and 29.5 highway. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 2.5 tons and isn't broken in yet. This might be a good choice if you are willing to trade drive-train refinement for the comfort of an SUV that gets great mpg and pollutes less.

Favorite Features

Solid build quality, great performance, comfortable seats, great mpg. The diesel "feels" solid and as fast as the V8. It's an excellent highway cruiser.

Early impressions 100%
By Stimulus

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a dealer demo with 8000 miles. Paid $51K pre-tax, sticker of $63K, Invoice of $57K. Included $4500 eco credit. Dealer extended Warranty to 55,000 miles. I have driven 3000 miles so far and can find nothing to fault. Performance and handling is superb. There is no turbo lag if you use kick-down mode or shift to M1 for quick starts. Hiway accel is gutsy, mind the staties. I-Drive is easy to use, but it helps to practice when you are not driving. The Nav is DVD based but terrific. BMW Assist lets you download locations from Google Maps. Cool. I drive a lot in my job. Mileage averages 21mpg around New England and Boston. 27mpg on a long hiway trip at 75mph to 80mph.

Favorite Features

Engine, brakes, I-Drive, Audio System (pop in a USB stick, IPOD too), full moon roof, seats.

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer a bigger center console, but the split lid is really cool.

Our first deisel & BMW
By mdezine

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked up a demo w/7500mi on it. Loaded with most options. The torque is plentiful, if switched to sport mode, it's even sweeter. Drove 1500+miles in 5 days and had no body aches. Very precise steering and fantastic brakes. The turning headlights and fog lights illuminate the roadway very well. Sound system is also amazing. This SAV is a blast to drive. It's my wife's so don't get to drive it much, but I feel good to have my family travel in this solid vehicle. Good crash ratings. Everyone says that the i-drive is a pain, however everything new in the world of electronics has a learning curve, once you master it, its all intuitive. Patience is a virtue. Lastly we got 27mpg on our road trip.

Favorite Features

Steering, braking, sound system, safety features, real time traffic updates, heads up display, bluetooth, panoramic glass roof, sport mode, 600+mile range w/one tank. 4yr/50000mi maintenance plan, BMW roadside service, BMW SOS plan, heated steering and most of all the torque.

Suggested Improvements

Replace run flats with normal tires. Provide spare tire for 3rd row option.