2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Turbodiesel X5 Tops All Mid Size SUV's
By Bob A on 01/21/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I waited 6 months to write a review of the turbodiesel X5 to make sure that there would be no issues with the engine. There aren't any issues with the diesel - its great! Plenty of power on the low end with good power at speed. The six cylinder gas engine is way underpowered. The V8 has great performance with terrible fuel economy. I am getting between 30 and 32 MPG on the highway and 18 MPG in local driving. Figure that you will average 22 MPG in combined driving.

All that and more! Really!
By Doc on 12/22/09 19:28 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Feels rocket fast because of the low end torque. 0 to 60 is only 0.6 sec. slower then the gas guzzling 4.8 liter gasoline version. I average 22.4 mpg. and I drive it like a sports car. The comfort stability and ride quality still astound me. For the first time I always want to drive... and everyone else asks to. The thing corners like a sports car and feels soooo smooth doing 100mph on the straight. Sound system is superb. You can hear the engine if the sound system is not on but it's not intrusive. I don't have the sport package with the expensive wheels so the visual is an understatement but the highway ride quality is actually a lot better without the fat tires...go figure.

X5 Diesel Pros and Cons, mostly Pro
By NorhternVA on 11/23/09 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

5,000 mile review: This vehicle is about compromise: V8 performance and SUV comfort with less pollution and up to 30 mpg highway. But there's no mistaking that this is a diesel. You can hear the clatter at low RPM. BMW designed the X5 model with a loud exhaust note, mistakenly thinking that buyers equate noise with performance. Add the diesel's louder, gravelly engine note to the already loud X5 exhaust note and you get a noisy driving experience. It quiets down at highway speeds, but the exhaust noise is constant, intrusive, and can be annoying. In the first 5,000 miles, mpg was 24.5 mixed and 29.5 highway. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 2.5 tons and isn't broken in yet. This might be a good choice if you are willing to trade drive-train refinement for the comfort of an SUV that gets great mpg and pollutes less.

Love the X5!
By mikehell on 10/29/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded a 2008 Lexus LS460 sedan for my first SUV. I love it so far! Loaded with sport package, nav, comfort access, 20 inch wheels, you name it. I have owned 2 BMW 5 series a few years back and frankly missed the German engineering... especially when compared to Lexus's poor engineering. Sorry Lexus fans, but they just are not BMW's. I actually look forward to getting up in the mornings just to drive my X5... that is how much i love it! Let alone, the service and BMW assist is included for 4 years/50 K miles... that definitely helps with the ownership costs of a luxury SUV.

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali on 10/19/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.

Early impressions 100%
By Stimulus on 10/19/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a dealer demo with 8000 miles. Paid $51K pre-tax, sticker of $63K, Invoice of $57K. Included $4500 eco credit. Dealer extended Warranty to 55,000 miles. I have driven 3000 miles so far and can find nothing to fault. Performance and handling is superb. There is no turbo lag if you use kick-down mode or shift to M1 for quick starts. Hiway accel is gutsy, mind the staties. I-Drive is easy to use, but it helps to practice when you are not driving. The Nav is DVD based but terrific. BMW Assist lets you download locations from Google Maps. Cool. I drive a lot in my job. Mileage averages 21mpg around New England and Boston. 27mpg on a long hiway trip at 75mph to 80mph.

Exceeded Expectations
By Senoroso on 10/07/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Car is very nice, great build quality, great mileage on the road, looks good, passengers and bystanders both seem to like it. Driving comfort is impressive, 400 miles in the seat is nothing.

Mixed Thoughts
By PhillyDude on 09/10/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car drives and handles great. From a pure driving perspective, it is probably the best SUV I have ever had. However, it has some serious flaws in the interior. The navigation system is terrible and almost impossible to use. The all in one computer system for using most features in the car is also not easy to use. Something simple like changing the air from your head to your feet takes way too many steps to do. The car just feels over engineered. Also, don't believe the maintenance is included sales pitch. I just got my 10,000 mile done and all it covered was an oil change and not rotating and balancing the tires.

Our first deisel & BMW
By mdezine on 09/09/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked up a demo w/7500mi on it. Loaded with most options. The torque is plentiful, if switched to sport mode, it's even sweeter. Drove 1500+miles in 5 days and had no body aches. Very precise steering and fantastic brakes. The turning headlights and fog lights illuminate the roadway very well. Sound system is also amazing. This SAV is a blast to drive. It's my wife's so don't get to drive it much, but I feel good to have my family travel in this solid vehicle. Good crash ratings. Everyone says that the i-drive is a pain, however everything new in the world of electronics has a learning curve, once you master it, its all intuitive. Patience is a virtue. Lastly we got 27mpg on our road trip.

Great for long drives
By FLBMWDriver on 09/06/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just picked up my brand new X5 last month and I am very impressed with it so far. I drive 100+ miles per day so a comfortable ride is very important to me. I had my X5 built and I chose the ventilated seat package which was well worth it. The seats adjust in so many ways and the massage feature for the driver is great! My black sapphire X5 turns heads when its clean and the interior is impressive with the brushed aluminum trim giving it a sporty look. The driving position is great and the car is pretty quiet at 70-80mph on the highway. Also, the premium sound system upgrade sounds great and I also like the iPod interface. I would highly recommend this SUV.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 BMW X5 in WA is:

$169 per month*