2009 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
First BMW X5 purhcase...
By adam11b on 11/14/13 09:54 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

When you look past the iDrive and price, what a vehicle. Nothing this big I have ever driven handles as well as the X5. The interior is timeless and the exterior is just enough the combo of aggressiveness/luxury. I have the 4.8i with the big v8. Talk about ballsy, this thing gets up and goes, however I do not drive it hard as I am concerned for the price of gas. I will say that if you are genuinely considering buying one, you must have the money for maintenance (regardless of warranty or not) someone financially unstable should not even think of buying this SUV. The oil changes, tires WILL bite your wallet at some point. I have not found the rattling for rear gate, its bothering me..bad.

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps on 09/28/13 18:59 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

Disappointed
By cruzian on 03/16/12 18:48 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Wish it were more reliable
By Brian B on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has been driving for almost 2 years. I am trying to decide whether we want to buy from lease. We have had multiple problems with this car. We have had a continuous small surge from the start position. Additionally we had a leak in the sun roof that went into the dash. They had to replace the dash )leather) and all electronics. Problem is fixed but it always lurks in my mind. My wife really likes the car. Power is good. Drives good. We paid extra for the leather dash and upgraded leather seating. Do not get this car without the vented (cooled) seats. I have found it to be extremely hot on the bottom:)

My Best Buy
By Gladstone Bimmer on 05/21/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have recently driven a Mercedes C280, a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus R320, but my BMW X5 is the best vehicle of the lot. I love the way it looks inside and outside and I have learned to love the way it drives. The I-Drive was a little difficult to learn, but once mastered is a great way to control the many different features. I'm 67 years old and learning to drive all over again!

Love the X5!
By mikehell on 10/29/09 15:55 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just traded a 2008 Lexus LS460 sedan for my first SUV. I love it so far! Loaded with sport package, nav, comfort access, 20 inch wheels, you name it. I have owned 2 BMW 5 series a few years back and frankly missed the German engineering... especially when compared to Lexus's poor engineering. Sorry Lexus fans, but they just are not BMW's. I actually look forward to getting up in the mornings just to drive my X5... that is how much i love it! Let alone, the service and BMW assist is included for 4 years/50 K miles... that definitely helps with the ownership costs of a luxury SUV.

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali on 10/19/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.

Exceeded Expectations
By Senoroso on 10/07/09 19:05 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Car is very nice, great build quality, great mileage on the road, looks good, passengers and bystanders both seem to like it. Driving comfort is impressive, 400 miles in the seat is nothing.

Mixed Thoughts
By PhillyDude on 09/10/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car drives and handles great. From a pure driving perspective, it is probably the best SUV I have ever had. However, it has some serious flaws in the interior. The navigation system is terrible and almost impossible to use. The all in one computer system for using most features in the car is also not easy to use. Something simple like changing the air from your head to your feet takes way too many steps to do. The car just feels over engineered. Also, don't believe the maintenance is included sales pitch. I just got my 10,000 mile done and all it covered was an oil change and not rotating and balancing the tires.

Great for long drives
By FLBMWDriver on 09/06/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just picked up my brand new X5 last month and I am very impressed with it so far. I drive 100+ miles per day so a comfortable ride is very important to me. I had my X5 built and I chose the ventilated seat package which was well worth it. The seats adjust in so many ways and the massage feature for the driver is great! My black sapphire X5 turns heads when its clean and the interior is impressive with the brushed aluminum trim giving it a sporty look. The driving position is great and the car is pretty quiet at 70-80mph on the highway. Also, the premium sound system upgrade sounds great and I also like the iPod interface. I would highly recommend this SUV.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.