Used 2009 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Big Machine Worth it !
By Carla

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Never have had a problem, it's a 2009. Last week had to have left front headlight replaced. Been very satisfied with it. Just the other day a friend ask me about it, he's thinking seriously about getting one. Love the steering, the way it hugs the road, the pickup, in fact it all feels like it fits tight, I feel safe!

I've been had!
By Mike

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I was seduced by its good looks and big engine. Our X5 has been a maintenance nightmare. Something very expensive fails on this vehicle about once every 6 months. Out of warranty fixes has cost us about $5000-$6000 per year since owning it. The latest news is it failed to pass smog due to value leaks. My BMW tech told me this is common for this engine. Well, now I have to spend another $6000k ($500 in parts, 45 hours of labor!) to replace the value seals just to get it to pass smog. This is my second and last BMW.

Biggest bucket of worms I've ever owned
By Frugal German

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car with the extended warranty. Started out having to replace the bulbs of the headlights several times. The run flat tires are expensive, no spare. The computer display will display the message that you have a flat and to pull over, or drive for 50 miles if you have run-flats, however the computer will not allow you to exit this screen and switch to navigation. Was on a trip in Canada when I had a flat and had no idea which would be the closest city. Battery drains in a heart beat if you open and close the back hatch several times while packing for a trip. Need a big truck to give you a jump. Had to replace battery twice within the first 5 years. The plastic components like inside driver door handle and steering wheel spokes are crap. The have a thin colored plastic coating on it that bubbles up and peels off. Was told it is the acid in my skin - first car ever that was allergic to me! On 05Aug15 I had the routine maintenance done. The warranty ran out 18Aug15, but I only had 86937 miles on the car. On 20Aug15 I break down on the side of the road with a trunk full of perishable groceries. Had to have it towed to dealership 50 miles away. Electronic water pump and thermostat needed to be replaced $1950. Picked up the car the next week and on the drive home the A/C went out. They picked up the car the next day, and it needed a new compressor at $3,000. Received the car two days later and now the passenger side electric mirror control is messed up. Run, honey, run!

leaky, oily and sealless
By Gene

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife and I are over 70 and do not drive aggressively. The car was never red lined or even close.
The car is fun to drive but very expensive with excessive repairs.
All recommended maintenance, oil changes, brake pads, brake flushing, alignment, etc. were done on or ahead of schedule.
The car has 85,000 miles on it and has had over $14,000 in out of factory warranty repairs.
The dealer labor is $150+ an hour and the dealer parts are 1.3 to 3 times more than the same OEM part when available outside.

The AC leaked during the 50,000 warranty and a connection hose was replaced. Everything else failed and was repaired after 50,000 and by 85,000 miles.

Most failures have been acknowledged by the dealer and on the internet to be a common failures on a BMW V8 engine.

Repairs:
Head light washer nozzle came off and was replaced.
Water tank split at seam and was replaced.
Vacuum pump leaked and was replaced.
Oil seals on front of engine leaked and were replaced.
Front end bushings were worn and were replaced.
Engine valve cover gaskets leaked and were replaced.
Engine Valve seals leaked and were replaced.
Fuel pump leaked vacuum and was replaced.

I recommend you not own this car after 50,000 miles unless you have an extended warranty. Thank goodness i had one.

Quality issues ?
By cwe6279

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car was great the first 3 years I owned it. Year 4, 5 were more troublesome and 5+ downright maddening. Since the Warranty expired, had to replace the following at about $5000-7000 per year average cost:
- IBS sensors and cables (twice)
- Alternator
- batteries/brakes (only normal wear and tear repair I have had to make)
- Catalytic converter

it only has 30k miles on it!

Aside from the issues above, the service I received was really disappointing (but maybe it's just my area). I heard from various sources there was a lot of local turnover and some challenges in the dealer/manufacturer relationship and that was certainly reflected in the service levels I experienced.

was fun to drive when not taking it to the dealership for repair.

Software and user interface is not at all intuitive. Xdrive interface is awful. Quality and Dealer Service I experienced were nowhere near the level of Mercedes.