Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2009 BMW X5 Diesel

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )

Great SUV
By jledoux

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought a off lease 09 X5 D after my wife's new explorer was hit and totaled. After only a few days all i can say is wow! 425 pound ft of torque and 28 mpg on the highway is an incredible combination. The X5 has amazing handling and great brakes. We have owned a fx 35, a xc 90 and a ford explorer and this X5 is by far the best SUV we have owned. This engine is perfect for a 5000 lb truck. It pulls effortlessly and for such a heavy vehicle it has great pick up. If you are looking for the perfect combo of fuel mileage, power, comfort and handling look no further. I highly recommend

Favorite Features

Power and Comfort

Roadside Assistance is a Scam
By bmfan

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Called for a jump start and got a street looking guy with a battery pack not enought AMP to start my X5d. Called again and waited one hour. They couldn't find any well equipped tow truck to jump start my car. I finally used my own AAA and a full size truck showed up in 15 minutes. This happened in Downtown LA! Called BMW and they provided no comment.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of Roadside Assistance or give people choice not to have it. It's a false sense of security. If BMW can't deliver good service, why sell it?

One year after purching X5
By Rjaio

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Since I purchased this vehicle, I have put 9,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage is great. On average city traffic, I got 22.4 mile/gal. No problem so far and the quality is better than what I expected after own Japanese cars for many year. The only thing I don't feel comfortable is the car equipped with run flat tires. How can I drive on the interstate highway in a rural area with a flat tire. I decide to buy a spare tire and also replace the run flat tires with regular ones when the time come.

Favorite Features

Great fuel mileage, Quality and design.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the run flat tires.

Marginal Vehicle
By Bonehead

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The diesel is sluggish during initial acceleration and does not yield the fuel mileage suggested. Purchased pre-driven '09 BMW Corp vehicle from the dealership that did not disclose appearance and functional issues at the time of sale. The dealer will not cooperatively correct these flaws.

Favorite Features

Color inside/out is appealing, good acceleration above 20 mph. Good fit and finish of body panels.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth out initial acceleration problems and improve local dealership management.

the shop guys call it a truck
By woolly

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Love that diesel note at idle. Reminds me of being in Europe. Can't hear it at speed. Surprising punch with dual sequential turbo. Feels best at 80 mph. Gets an honest 26 mpg at that rate. Town is 17/18. Electronics are suspect. Clock won't boot sometimes. Nav screen will not come up on occasion. Had three Nav heads installed on warranty. Probably fixed. Had an alternator go out, took three weeks to get replacement. Dealer made a courtesy payment! With all those gears it is hard for trans to select medium takeoff velocity. Easy is fine and stoop on it and it flies. The middle is hard to attain. I love/distrust this car and will probably trade before warranty expires.

Favorite Features

In the winter it is the bun and hand warmers. In the summer it is the HUGE sunroof. Love that diesel. AWD is great, always.

Suggested Improvements

I do not know how the HVAC works. I can run idrive long before I can make air come from where and what temp I want it.