2009 BMW X5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

xDrive35d 3.0L 6-cyl. Turbo Diesel AWD 6-speed Automatic - (26 reviews )
Great SUV
By jledoux on 11/25/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought a off lease 09 X5 D after my wife's new explorer was hit and totaled. After only a few days all i can say is wow! 425 pound ft of torque and 28 mpg on the highway is an incredible combination. The X5 has amazing handling and great brakes. We have owned a fx 35, a xc 90 and a ford explorer and this X5 is by far the best SUV we have owned. This engine is perfect for a 5000 lb truck. It pulls effortlessly and for such a heavy vehicle it has great pick up. If you are looking for the perfect combo of fuel mileage, power, comfort and handling look no further. I highly recommend

Roadside Assistance is a Scam
By bmfan on 02/09/12 16:14 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Called for a jump start and got a street looking guy with a battery pack not enought AMP to start my X5d. Called again and waited one hour. They couldn't find any well equipped tow truck to jump start my car. I finally used my own AAA and a full size truck showed up in 15 minutes. This happened in Downtown LA! Called BMW and they provided no comment.

One year after purching X5
By Rjaio on 09/02/10 16:58 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Since I purchased this vehicle, I have put 9,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage is great. On average city traffic, I got 22.4 mile/gal. No problem so far and the quality is better than what I expected after own Japanese cars for many year. The only thing I don't feel comfortable is the car equipped with run flat tires. How can I drive on the interstate highway in a rural area with a flat tire. I decide to buy a spare tire and also replace the run flat tires with regular ones when the time come.

Marginal Vehicle
By Bonehead on 08/17/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The diesel is sluggish during initial acceleration and does not yield the fuel mileage suggested. Purchased pre-driven '09 BMW Corp vehicle from the dealership that did not disclose appearance and functional issues at the time of sale. The dealer will not cooperatively correct these flaws.

the shop guys call it a truck
By woolly on 03/31/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Love that diesel note at idle. Reminds me of being in Europe. Can't hear it at speed. Surprising punch with dual sequential turbo. Feels best at 80 mph. Gets an honest 26 mpg at that rate. Town is 17/18. Electronics are suspect. Clock won't boot sometimes. Nav screen will not come up on occasion. Had three Nav heads installed on warranty. Probably fixed. Had an alternator go out, took three weeks to get replacement. Dealer made a courtesy payment! With all those gears it is hard for trans to select medium takeoff velocity. Easy is fine and stoop on it and it flies. The middle is hard to attain. I love/distrust this car and will probably trade before warranty expires.

Turbodiesel X5 Tops All Mid Size SUV's
By Bob A on 01/21/10 15:04 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I waited 6 months to write a review of the turbodiesel X5 to make sure that there would be no issues with the engine. There aren't any issues with the diesel - its great! Plenty of power on the low end with good power at speed. The six cylinder gas engine is way underpowered. The V8 has great performance with terrible fuel economy. I am getting between 30 and 32 MPG on the highway and 18 MPG in local driving. Figure that you will average 22 MPG in combined driving.

All that and more! Really!
By Doc on 12/22/09 19:28 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Feels rocket fast because of the low end torque. 0 to 60 is only 0.6 sec. slower then the gas guzzling 4.8 liter gasoline version. I average 22.4 mpg. and I drive it like a sports car. The comfort stability and ride quality still astound me. For the first time I always want to drive... and everyone else asks to. The thing corners like a sports car and feels soooo smooth doing 100mph on the straight. Sound system is superb. You can hear the engine if the sound system is not on but it's not intrusive. I don't have the sport package with the expensive wheels so the visual is an understatement but the highway ride quality is actually a lot better without the fat tires...go figure.

X5 Diesel Pros and Cons, mostly Pro
By NorhternVA on 11/23/09 19:34 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

5,000 mile review: This vehicle is about compromise: V8 performance and SUV comfort with less pollution and up to 30 mpg highway. But there's no mistaking that this is a diesel. You can hear the clatter at low RPM. BMW designed the X5 model with a loud exhaust note, mistakenly thinking that buyers equate noise with performance. Add the diesel's louder, gravelly engine note to the already loud X5 exhaust note and you get a noisy driving experience. It quiets down at highway speeds, but the exhaust noise is constant, intrusive, and can be annoying. In the first 5,000 miles, mpg was 24.5 mixed and 29.5 highway. Not bad for a vehicle that weighs over 2.5 tons and isn't broken in yet. This might be a good choice if you are willing to trade drive-train refinement for the comfort of an SUV that gets great mpg and pollutes less.

Early impressions 100%
By Stimulus on 10/19/09 18:43 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I purchased a dealer demo with 8000 miles. Paid $51K pre-tax, sticker of $63K, Invoice of $57K. Included $4500 eco credit. Dealer extended Warranty to 55,000 miles. I have driven 3000 miles so far and can find nothing to fault. Performance and handling is superb. There is no turbo lag if you use kick-down mode or shift to M1 for quick starts. Hiway accel is gutsy, mind the staties. I-Drive is easy to use, but it helps to practice when you are not driving. The Nav is DVD based but terrific. BMW Assist lets you download locations from Google Maps. Cool. I drive a lot in my job. Mileage averages 21mpg around New England and Boston. 27mpg on a long hiway trip at 75mph to 80mph.

Our first deisel & BMW
By mdezine on 09/09/09 13:46 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 Diesel xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Picked up a demo w/7500mi on it. Loaded with most options. The torque is plentiful, if switched to sport mode, it's even sweeter. Drove 1500+miles in 5 days and had no body aches. Very precise steering and fantastic brakes. The turning headlights and fog lights illuminate the roadway very well. Sound system is also amazing. This SAV is a blast to drive. It's my wife's so don't get to drive it much, but I feel good to have my family travel in this solid vehicle. Good crash ratings. Everyone says that the i-drive is a pain, however everything new in the world of electronics has a learning curve, once you master it, its all intuitive. Patience is a virtue. Lastly we got 27mpg on our road trip.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.