Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Biggest bucket of worms I've ever owned
By Frugal German

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought the car with the extended warranty. Started out having to replace the bulbs of the headlights several times. The run flat tires are expensive, no spare. The computer display will display the message that you have a flat and to pull over, or drive for 50 miles if you have run-flats, however the computer will not allow you to exit this screen and switch to navigation. Was on a trip in Canada when I had a flat and had no idea which would be the closest city. Battery drains in a heart beat if you open and close the back hatch several times while packing for a trip. Need a big truck to give you a jump. Had to replace battery twice within the first 5 years. The plastic components like inside driver door handle and steering wheel spokes are crap. The have a thin colored plastic coating on it that bubbles up and peels off. Was told it is the acid in my skin - first car ever that was allergic to me! On 05Aug15 I had the routine maintenance done. The warranty ran out 18Aug15, but I only had 86937 miles on the car. On 20Aug15 I break down on the side of the road with a trunk full of perishable groceries. Had to have it towed to dealership 50 miles away. Electronic water pump and thermostat needed to be replaced $1950. Picked up the car the next week and on the drive home the A/C went out. They picked up the car the next day, and it needed a new compressor at $3,000. Received the car two days later and now the passenger side electric mirror control is messed up. Run, honey, run!

Quality issues ?
By cwe6279

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car was great the first 3 years I owned it. Year 4, 5 were more troublesome and 5+ downright maddening. Since the Warranty expired, had to replace the following at about $5000-7000 per year average cost: - IBS sensors and cables (twice) - Alternator - batteries/brakes (only normal wear and tear repair I have had to make) - Catalytic converter it only has 30k miles on it! Aside from the issues above, the service I received was really disappointing (but maybe it's just my area). I heard from various sources there was a lot of local turnover and some challenges in the dealer/manufacturer relationship and that was certainly reflected in the service levels I experienced.

was fun to drive when not taking it to the dealership for repair.

Software and user interface is not at all intuitive. Xdrive interface is awful. Quality and Dealer Service I experienced were nowhere near the level of Mercedes.

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

performance , well balanced engine , build quality

I DRIVE made more user friendly

Disappointed
By cruzian

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.