2009 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
First BMW X5 purhcase...
By adam11b on 11/14/13 09:54 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

When you look past the iDrive and price, what a vehicle. Nothing this big I have ever driven handles as well as the X5. The interior is timeless and the exterior is just enough the combo of aggressiveness/luxury. I have the 4.8i with the big v8. Talk about ballsy, this thing gets up and goes, however I do not drive it hard as I am concerned for the price of gas. I will say that if you are genuinely considering buying one, you must have the money for maintenance (regardless of warranty or not) someone financially unstable should not even think of buying this SUV. The oil changes, tires WILL bite your wallet at some point. I have not found the rattling for rear gate, its bothering me..bad.

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps on 09/28/13 18:59 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

Great SUV
By jledoux on 11/25/12 13:55 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

I bought a off lease 09 X5 D after my wife's new explorer was hit and totaled. After only a few days all i can say is wow! 425 pound ft of torque and 28 mpg on the highway is an incredible combination. The X5 has amazing handling and great brakes. We have owned a fx 35, a xc 90 and a ford explorer and this X5 is by far the best SUV we have owned. This engine is perfect for a 5000 lb truck. It pulls effortlessly and for such a heavy vehicle it has great pick up. If you are looking for the perfect combo of fuel mileage, power, comfort and handling look no further. I highly recommend

Disappointed
By cruzian on 03/16/12 18:48 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Roadside Assistance is a Scam
By bmfan on 02/09/12 16:14 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Called for a jump start and got a street looking guy with a battery pack not enought AMP to start my X5d. Called again and waited one hour. They couldn't find any well equipped tow truck to jump start my car. I finally used my own AAA and a full size truck showed up in 15 minutes. This happened in Downtown LA! Called BMW and they provided no comment.

Wish it were more reliable
By Brian B on 09/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My wife has been driving for almost 2 years. I am trying to decide whether we want to buy from lease. We have had multiple problems with this car. We have had a continuous small surge from the start position. Additionally we had a leak in the sun roof that went into the dash. They had to replace the dash )leather) and all electronics. Problem is fixed but it always lurks in my mind. My wife really likes the car. Power is good. Drives good. We paid extra for the leather dash and upgraded leather seating. Do not get this car without the vented (cooled) seats. I have found it to be extremely hot on the bottom:)

One year after purching X5
By Rjaio on 09/02/10 16:58 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Since I purchased this vehicle, I have put 9,000 miles on it. The fuel mileage is great. On average city traffic, I got 22.4 mile/gal. No problem so far and the quality is better than what I expected after own Japanese cars for many year. The only thing I don't feel comfortable is the car equipped with run flat tires. How can I drive on the interstate highway in a rural area with a flat tire. I decide to buy a spare tire and also replace the run flat tires with regular ones when the time come.

Marginal Vehicle
By Bonehead on 08/17/10 13:18 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

The diesel is sluggish during initial acceleration and does not yield the fuel mileage suggested. Purchased pre-driven '09 BMW Corp vehicle from the dealership that did not disclose appearance and functional issues at the time of sale. The dealer will not cooperatively correct these flaws.

My Best Buy
By Gladstone Bimmer on 05/21/10 09:47 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive48i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have recently driven a Mercedes C280, a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus R320, but my BMW X5 is the best vehicle of the lot. I love the way it looks inside and outside and I have learned to love the way it drives. The I-Drive was a little difficult to learn, but once mastered is a great way to control the many different features. I'm 67 years old and learning to drive all over again!

the shop guys call it a truck
By woolly on 03/31/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 xDrive35d 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 6A)

Love that diesel note at idle. Reminds me of being in Europe. Can't hear it at speed. Surprising punch with dual sequential turbo. Feels best at 80 mph. Gets an honest 26 mpg at that rate. Town is 17/18. Electronics are suspect. Clock won't boot sometimes. Nav screen will not come up on occasion. Had three Nav heads installed on warranty. Probably fixed. Had an alternator go out, took three weeks to get replacement. Dealer made a courtesy payment! With all those gears it is hard for trans to select medium takeoff velocity. Easy is fine and stoop on it and it flies. The middle is hard to attain. I love/distrust this car and will probably trade before warranty expires.

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 BMW X5 in WA is:

$169 per month*