2008 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Rocket Ship

2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Review

Rocket Ship
By tcpch on

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a CPO with just 16k on the odometer three months ago, and waited to write this review. Thus far, I fall more in love with it every day. Parked in the driveway, with the 20" wheels, it has beautiful lines and exudes raw power. Not the best in stop and start traffic, but once we hit the Pacific Coast Hwy or a twisty canyon, it attacks the road. So confident driving on the freeway, especially in Sport mode. Kids love the panoramic sunroof, and I always feel safe hauling them in the X5. Not sure what the fuss is with iDrive- I love it. Spend the time to learn and you will be amply rewarded. First BMW, and I'm sold for life (previous cars include MB, Audi, and Land Rover).

My favorite thing: the awesome growl when you hit start! Panoramic sunroof, iDrive, sport mode. Paid a bit more for the BMW warranty- a must have. Service is so seamless and pleasant, and I don't care what they do because it's covered and the car is returned sparkly clean with a smile... Seats are comfortable, and love the super-solid steering wheel that gives confident control at any speed.

The backup camera is an embarrassment (especially at night) but I drove a 2012 5.0 X5 and it was greatly improved. Nav is clunky, but gets the job done.