2008 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Not for What it Cost

2008 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Not for What it Cost
By Lt Dan on

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I'll make this blunt. I have had the car over a year now and put 15k miles on it. Overall nice vehicle. Very fast and handles great. Its a BMW and it rides like one. The back up camera is useless at night. Had it in the shop for 3 days to fix it. There is nothing wrong with it, it is junk. Gas mileage is lousy. Run flat tires can not be fixed, at least not by BMW. Get a nail as I did, you're out $280. I agree with one poster who mentioned it does not shift consistently. Sometimes it lurches into gear enough to snap your head back if you stomp on it. Voice controls stink. I had an Acura RL which had a great system (I think it was by Alpine) BMW's will have you yelling at the car. Not intuitive.

None of the features are WOW! For $65K I would like some wow factor. Maybe if this is your first high end vehicle you might think its great. Average at best IMHO.

Voice commands are very frustrating and border on useless. It needs to be way more intuitive. IDRIVE replace it. Rear view camera needs FLIR technology. My wife's Chrysler Aspen has it but a BMW does not. Computer boot up when using bluetooth and a Blackberry VERY SLOW. Needs an outlet in the back.