2008 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Love the X5, hate the running

2008 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Love the X5, hate the running boards
By JH on

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

After years of traveling to Europe on business and having Mercs and BMWs as rental cars I finally bought one for my daily drive. I absolutely love my X5. I test drove the 4.8 and 3.0 and came to the conclusion the 4.8 was well worth the loss in gas mileage. At 5'7 getting in and out is a bit difficult, the vehicle is exactly the wrong height for me, and the running boards get in the way more than they help. The power and performance is fantastic, this vehicle corners better than my Acura TL. The throttle response can be a little quirky at times. Having the CD changer in the glove box takes up room and is a clunky location. The plastic on the fold down tail gate scratches too easily.

Love the iDrive, and the bluetooth functionality, the X5 downloads my address book to make it available through the iDrive. Fantastically smooth and powerful V8. Love the Nappa leather over the standard Nevada leather. Diving position and visibility can't be beat.

I wish it better integrated with my iPod, it would be nice to search the iPod by alphabet the way I can with my phone book. Ditch the running boards, they look good but aren't functional. Living in TX I also wish the sunroof glass was more heat reflective.