2008 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Best one yet

2008 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Best one yet
By OC on

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My 3rd X5 and def the best one yet - have the 4.8 sport, comfort ventilated seats (super comfortable++), upgraded stereo and love it - test drove Cayenne S and Range Rover Sport. Liked them both but they felt smaller inside than my old X5, interior technology packages and the interior of the X5 is much nicer IMO. I was happy with the old x5s but i felt it was time for a change but at the end of the day, the 2 best competitors underwhelmed me. Great driving, handling and comfortable car - can't imagine any other SUV driving better - drives enough like a sports sedan to make me happy and still have plenty of utility. it demands to get pushed and rewards accordingly

The iDrive. I'm a gadget guy and felt it easy to learn (touchscreen would be nice). Smooth as silk transmission, esp in manual, and the roar of the V8 - spectacular! With the sport package and the 20" wheels (gorgeous!) Really rocks. Using the manual stick is like driving a different car - try it!

The iDrive could be faster, feels a little sluggish at times. Gas mileage should be improved. I know its a 5000+ truck with a V8 but would love to have had it with a great, fast and less thirsty engine (turbo v6 diesel, hybrid, et al.) but that's on the next go round.