Used 2008 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews - 34 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Nice looking and fun to drive
By CL

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first BMW. I just broke the 1k break-in period. If you expected a race car-like feel for X5, you will be disappointed. The V6 3.0si is clearly not a M3. Maybe the 4.8 will be better. I picked 3.0 for the slightly better gas mileage. Overall, this is an excellent SUV. Drives better than my Mercedes E320. The transmission picks up swiftly and smoothly. Great brakes. The new space gray color matches well with the style. I don't have the active steering so my wife complains about the heavy steering in parking lots. The worst thing is battery. Since they loaded so many things on the car which consume power, the battery wouldn't last long if you don't drive it for a while.

In addition to what said, blue tooth works very well. Love iDrive. Audio sounds perfect. Very quiet on the road.

Longer battery life. It is ridiculous that the car requires being plugged to a charger (a special order too!) if you plan to take a two week vacation.

2008 BMW X5 3.0
By KP

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV handles the road best, compared to all the SUVs I have ever driven. Remarkable attention to detail, best looking interior immediately caught my attention. When I test drove, its handle on road made me feel like I am driving my convertible. Front and rear heated car seats, USB interface-play music from your flash drive or iPhone/iPod, panoramic moon-roof, just amazing. Comfort Access-never take out your car key from your pocket, I didn’t know I would love it so much. . Real time traffic info and rerouting feature from navigation is just amazing.

6 customizable buttons: I have assigned FM, AM, GPS, IPHONE, Rear Entertainment and WB, I can access them with touch of a button. iDrive – get used to it, you will love it, I am so hooked. PDC/ rear camera-it traces the path for backing and parking. Electronic gear and parking brake - touch of button

Blurry image from rear camera in dark needs improvement. Rear TV not viewable from 3rd row seats, do something about it.

BMW X5
By JC

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first BMW. I have driven 3,000 miles since purchase and have been impressed by build quality and technology. I was drawn to the X5 by its looks, both external and internal, and BMW Ultimate Service. I opted for 3.0 over 4.8 due to significant addtional cost of the V8 and a little better fuel economy. I also own a Mercedes GL450 which I prefer over the X5 if you really need or want a V8 SUV with a useable 3rd row for kids or for towing.

BMW has the edge over Mercedes in technology department. The iDrive with Technology Package is terrific.

Seats... having trouble getting a comfortable postion set. In hindsight, I guess I would spend extra $ to get the Comfort seat option.

Issues. But nothing major !
By imran356

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought one couple of days ago. It's fun to drive and but definitely some minor reliability issue . The electronic glove compartment has a mind of its own. It just wont open and other time works fine! I had to take it back to dealorship to fix left turn signal light . According to the mechanic, left tail light bulb was loose... huh! 50K BMW?? Other then that, beautiful looking car. I prefer it over any other competitor. Engine is smooth and powerful. Love driving it.

Design and ride

Beautiful inside and out, fun to drive
By NewBMWf_fan

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The X5 is an exceptional SUV. We looked at the Acura MDX and you can't really compare the two. If you can afford the additional $15k, go for the X5. We have had it for three months and it has functioned flawlessly. The drive is awesome and the finish in incredible.

Inside finish, the iDrive (once you get use to it) and the drive.

Third row seats are not functional.