Used 2008 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Issues. But nothing major !
By imran356

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought one couple of days ago. It's fun to drive and but definitely some minor reliability issue . The electronic glove compartment has a mind of its own. It just wont open and other time works fine! I had to take it back to dealorship to fix left turn signal light . According to the mechanic, left tail light bulb was loose... huh! 50K BMW?? Other then that, beautiful looking car. I prefer it over any other competitor. Engine is smooth and powerful. Love driving it.

Design and ride

Beautiful inside and out, fun to drive
By NewBMWf_fan

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The X5 is an exceptional SUV. We looked at the Acura MDX and you can't really compare the two. If you can afford the additional $15k, go for the X5. We have had it for three months and it has functioned flawlessly. The drive is awesome and the finish in incredible.

Inside finish, the iDrive (once you get use to it) and the drive.

Third row seats are not functional.

Disappointing
By unhappy Jess

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Start with my X5 has only 3500 miles in it, at 2000 miles engine light came, per mechanic something wrong with catalytic converter, failed fan just recently while traveling in freeway a small rock or pebble hit my front panel creating a quarter sized hole, side panel just behind headlight is made with composite or some kind of plastic.

Replace those panels with some kind of sheet metal

Ultimate Driving SUV
By tpcc55

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This X5 3.0 is simply the best handling SUV among all the ones I have owned and test-driven. I picked 3.0 over 4.8 because (a) to save $8-9K, (b) 3.0 engine felt smoother in lower gears and is adequate for our purpose, and (c) for a SUV, handling is more important than performance; we'll save the performance for our sedan.

iDrive - once you get used to it - makes the most sense. Don't need to reach for rows of buttons and dials while you drive. Practical everything is under your command without moving your hand away from a single control. If you can learn to use a Wii Nunchuk, you can learn to use the iDrive.

The ride maybe a bit firm for some. The price a bit stiff as well.

Simply Awesome
By Basman

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I haven't even had the vehicle a week and this is our first BMW. I wouldn't have considered BMW but my wife really wanted to check them out. After taking it around the block I was hooked, I was impressed by the attention to detail and the feel of the vehicle. I am sure there will be more Bimmers in the garage.

The iDrive is what sets this apart from any vehicle I've driven. There is a lot to it and I regularly go through the owners manual to see how to do things. Oh BTW, when you turn it on, it returns the favor.

1) Backup camera as a standard feature. 2) Better manual explaining the I-drive, it could even be a Power Point slide show. 3) A touch screen for the navigation system. 4) The voice recognition system misunderstands a lot of commands especially when there is any background noise.

• SUV