Used 2008 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

disappointment
By carol fries

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Beginning May 15th 2009 the battery went dead 9 times, always when I needed it most, until Nov 13th & the service dept was no help at all. They actually had the salesman deliver it to us on Saturday night Nov 14th saying it was our problem! It was our 3rd X5 & we'd had with no trouble with the others but I fixed the problem myself by buying a Mercedes GL450. bye bye bmw!

BMW X5 Owner In Southern California
By ocbmwguy

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

After 5 BMWs the poor quality of my X5 4.8i will be my last. I've had problems with the fuel gauge, satellite radio, brakes and compared to the previous X5 I owned, the re-design from the original X5 is bulky and not as fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Looks (Sapphire Black with tan interior) and cargo room.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation is slow to calculate route, satellite radio is useless because it constantly drops signal in the same areas my Mercedes Benz has no problem with. Overall quality of car seems low. Biggest nuisance is the squeaky breaks that BMW says "are normal".

Everyone should have one!
By Senor Oso

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great car, performance with the sport package is exceptional, amazing suspension system. Only drawback is its size, I wish it was 6 inches shorter, oh well.

Favorite Features

Sport transmission and suspension along with 20 inch wheels is amazing.

Suggested Improvements

The x5 is a little big and the x3 is a little small, oh well, the x5 is a treat.

I'll always own one
By grizzy54

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Since I bought this I've enjoyed it everyday. It rides as tight as my M did but I like the higher sitting. Great performance & handling. I-Drive is easy to use. I don't get all of the complaints? It's very logical & easy to use common sense. I just read that they are launching an M version with a twin Turbo 4.8 V8 for 555 HP & 500 Torq. I'll wait until year 2 to get the bugs out. I love the 4.8 motor, very quick and a nice growl. Handling, brakes are superb. I've owned 4 other BMW's, Acura RL's, Lexus (dumped this in 6 mon.) and I didn't feel the road. It's for folks who want a 'numb' ride. Expensive to maintain. My only gripe is the gas mileage. Hwy I get 20 with a full load and 14 in city.

Favorite Features

Brakes dry automatically when it rains. Also holds on a hill for 2 seconds when you take your foot off the brake. Comfortable seats, great acceleration & braking. Super handling I put on the 20 inch wheels which have great looks. Lots of thumbs up! Best vehicle I've ever owned including Acura, Lexus.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. Other than that I have had 0 problems in the first 13 months of ownership.

Avoid this vehicle
By City Engineer

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought brand new, June, 2008. Two months later the motor on the A/C blower failed. Three months after that the fuel pump failed and left me stranded on a busy highway. Six months later the transmission failed while on a family vacation. BMW highway assistance is worthless. You get put on hold for 5-15 minutes (if they answer at all) then are told they can send a tow truck within 1 1/2 hours. Overall a disappointing experience for an expensive vehicle.

Favorite Features

Rear view camera

Suggested Improvements

Improve quality. Heating controls impossibly complicated.