2008 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Beware of the X5 - Very Disappointed
By mattshahidi on 01/14/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

At first the X5 was great to drive until all the problems started. What we did not know about the X5 is that it has a history of electrical problems. BMW has yet to fix them for 2009. If you are unfortunate to have these the dealers will never be able to fix them. Be aware if you have a fatal or any other warning light it will show up in the computer, so you must tend to it right away to avoid liability. As for contacting BMW assist, forget about it if you have a problem on a weekend. Better yet, just have a second car. Less disappointing that way.

Inspires driving confidence, but flawed.
By AbaundvrM3 on 01/14/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Overall my wife and I love the X5, its classy, rides good, and gets decent mileage. Average 18 mpg in mixed driving, but 40 hp more would help move it better. On the Autobahn the faster you drive the better it runs and it gets the same 17 mpg at 110 as 80 mph! We keep the baby seat in the center, but it lacks the latch anchors so we have to stagger the two side seat anchoring points. Also, my biggest beef with the X5 is the factory running boards. While making it sportier they get in the way getting in/out. My poor wife gets dirty every time she puts the baby seat in. Lastly, the driver's seat always ends up in the wrong spot even w/memory seats, a few flaws that get irritating!

A real driving machine
By mb on 12/13/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have been an Acura/Honda owner for the past 7 cars but the MDX was just too ugly so that forced me to look around. I am so delighted I found the X5. It is a monster in the 4.8. Very classy, clean design inside especially. 3rd row seat is a waste. Literally I have not opened it up yet. The tech on the X5 nav etc is about 90% as good as Acura but the MDX ride does not compare. The 4.8 is a race car and races through fuel to be sure. Even with the 4.8, sport package - pretty much loaded it still does not have power lift gate. That is a little lame.

Disappointed
By kz on 12/07/08 10:15 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my x5, fully loaded, for less than 3 months. I have had it towed 1x and will be taking it in to the dealer again this week because I can't use my bluetooth or BMW assist. I can hear them but they can't hear me. Additionally, I don't think I have the power I should. My last vehicle was a loaded 530i, I expected the same performance and do not get it. Yes, I realize it is a heavier vehicle, but supposedly adjustments have been made for power. I don't have the confidence to pass when immediate acceleration is required because of potential lag. I want to love my car, this is a purchase not a lease. Given the cost of this vehicle I am kicking myself.

2008 BMW X5 SAV
By nyranger74 on 11/19/08 16:29 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the X5 3.0 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love this vehicle. I'm not going to lie and say the V6 is a monster, but it is more than adequate. For the difference in price, I got a fully loaded vehicle. The ride is superb, the seats are very comfortable (active driver seat with sport package and ventilated seats). The sound system is awesome (Premium sound). The iDrive is extremely simple to use and very intuitive. The computer is kind of slow to load, but it is a DVD based system. The Navigation system is very good. The rear camera is awful. During the day the resolution is fair, and at night its atrocious; what are you gonna do. That is my biggest gripe.

So far so good
By Third BMW on 11/14/08 09:30 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love BMWs -- went from a '06 325 and a GMC Acadia (way too many things went wrong) to an X5. Happy so far, although I miss the feeling of "zipping around" that I had in my 325.

Great! As expected.
By Nick9597 on 10/23/08 07:38 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We just leased this 2008 X5 a couple of weeks ago and we are so happy with it! My wife had a 2002 X5 a while back and it was her "dream car". This X5 is 10 times the car the previous X5 was! BMW has certainly hit the mark on this X5. Beautiful design and the quality integrity is unmatched. BMW again has reminded me how great of a company they are. It's also very comforting to know that we are basically 100% percent covered with the BMW Maintenance / Service plan. That is such a nice perk!

4.8 BMW X5
By Melissa on 10/20/08 16:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is our 3rd BMW. A Z3, a 3 Series and now an X5. We are definitely sold on the brand. The comfortable ride of the X5 was a pleasant surprise. The sport package makes the look and the drive.

Very Pleased
By flwink on 10/08/08 14:15 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I've owned the new 4.8 V-8 x5 since February. It has a great ride & with the "Sport" option it really gets up and goes. It is very fast for the size of the vehicle. It handles really well & corners without any over steer. Great ride & the engine is silky smooth. I put on most of the options & can't figure out why so many people complain about the iDrive. If you use a computer you can use the iDrive. I don't have to look & it is easy to navigate. There are a lot of options to set to your liking with the iDrive & I think that may be why people complain. Great vehicle. I'll buy a new one every 4 years or so. One last note that there isn't any maintenance dollars out of my pocket.

BMW X5 - 3.0i
By BMW Lover on 10/07/08 16:54 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Recently purchased a new BMW X5 after test driving Lexus GX, Toyota Highlander and other. BMW by far was the best to drive. The handling is smoothest of any car I have driven and really gives you confidence. The front interior cabin was the largest of all I test drove. The iDrive takes some getting used to but now I love it. I got the 3rd row seat as that is the only model they had thinking it was not a big deal as it would be folded down most of the time, but it also means you have no spare tire and have run-flats. I would suggest negotiating the extended tire warranty in the deal with a third row seat. Gas mileage is ok.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW X5 in NJ is:

$223 per month*