2008 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews 3

2008 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Did I buy a lemon? Tastes bitter!
By Jimmy on 03/27/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought X5 a year ago tomorrow and will be taking to dealership again. This time a repeat 4x4 and DSC warning. Last time fault blamed on us leaving a battery powered XM radio plugged into the receptacle inside the armrest storage that caused the battery level to drop?! Today same problem while driving on the highway. Can't wait to hear next excuse. Have taken car in at least 5 times for loud noise when taking out of park. In December Parking Brake would not disengage while 700 miles from home. BMW Assist could not tell us how to manually disengage brake but wanted to drag it onto a flatbed. Dealer told us how. Start-Off Assist jerks back on flat ground!! This is normal? Otherwise great car.

Don't buy BMW X5
By 2008 BMW X5 on 02/12/09 16:56 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV handles like truck and rides like truck in regular road. I took it to off road recently, I wish I could return it, it was worst riding than 18 wheelers. (1) In 2 months A/C motor had to be replace. (2) Back up light at night is so bad you can not see the curb (try it). (3) You need to continually give gas to go forward, or it will drastically slow down. (4) Now motor sit adjusting on the drive side makes noise. (5) So on, it is just bad SUV.

So far so good
By Patrick on 02/04/09 10:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great driving. Sun visors are not very useful. Running boards need to have a re design. They are not user friendly. Any rain or snow leaks any time you open doors. Needs a drip rail or something. How did that get through? No trailer receiver available either? Only had one problem with the 3rd row heat not working. Took dealer 5 days to fix. Otherwise very nice.

Schizophrenic Transmission
By Chuck on 01/24/09 09:02 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Transmission shift points unpredictable, hangs in lower gears sometimes, have to upshift manually. Also, run flat tires are awful. Problem with parking brake locking up will not release by electronic control, had to release by manual method in truck compartment. ROYAL PAIN in the rain this morning. Good luck.

Beware of the X5 - Very Disappointed
By mattshahidi on 01/14/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

At first the X5 was great to drive until all the problems started. What we did not know about the X5 is that it has a history of electrical problems. BMW has yet to fix them for 2009. If you are unfortunate to have these the dealers will never be able to fix them. Be aware if you have a fatal or any other warning light it will show up in the computer, so you must tend to it right away to avoid liability. As for contacting BMW assist, forget about it if you have a problem on a weekend. Better yet, just have a second car. Less disappointing that way.

Inspires driving confidence, but flawed.
By AbaundvrM3 on 01/14/09 10:32 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Overall my wife and I love the X5, its classy, rides good, and gets decent mileage. Average 18 mpg in mixed driving, but 40 hp more would help move it better. On the Autobahn the faster you drive the better it runs and it gets the same 17 mpg at 110 as 80 mph! We keep the baby seat in the center, but it lacks the latch anchors so we have to stagger the two side seat anchoring points. Also, my biggest beef with the X5 is the factory running boards. While making it sportier they get in the way getting in/out. My poor wife gets dirty every time she puts the baby seat in. Lastly, the driver's seat always ends up in the wrong spot even w/memory seats, a few flaws that get irritating!

A real driving machine
By mb on 12/13/08 12:41 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have been an Acura/Honda owner for the past 7 cars but the MDX was just too ugly so that forced me to look around. I am so delighted I found the X5. It is a monster in the 4.8. Very classy, clean design inside especially. 3rd row seat is a waste. Literally I have not opened it up yet. The tech on the X5 nav etc is about 90% as good as Acura but the MDX ride does not compare. The 4.8 is a race car and races through fuel to be sure. Even with the 4.8, sport package - pretty much loaded it still does not have power lift gate. That is a little lame.

Disappointed
By kz on 12/07/08 10:15 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I have had my x5, fully loaded, for less than 3 months. I have had it towed 1x and will be taking it in to the dealer again this week because I can't use my bluetooth or BMW assist. I can hear them but they can't hear me. Additionally, I don't think I have the power I should. My last vehicle was a loaded 530i, I expected the same performance and do not get it. Yes, I realize it is a heavier vehicle, but supposedly adjustments have been made for power. I don't have the confidence to pass when immediate acceleration is required because of potential lag. I want to love my car, this is a purchase not a lease. Given the cost of this vehicle I am kicking myself.

2008 BMW X5 SAV
By nyranger74 on 11/19/08 16:29 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased the X5 3.0 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love this vehicle. I'm not going to lie and say the V6 is a monster, but it is more than adequate. For the difference in price, I got a fully loaded vehicle. The ride is superb, the seats are very comfortable (active driver seat with sport package and ventilated seats). The sound system is awesome (Premium sound). The iDrive is extremely simple to use and very intuitive. The computer is kind of slow to load, but it is a DVD based system. The Navigation system is very good. The rear camera is awful. During the day the resolution is fair, and at night its atrocious; what are you gonna do. That is my biggest gripe.

So far so good
By Third BMW on 11/14/08 09:30 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Love BMWs -- went from a '06 325 and a GMC Acadia (way too many things went wrong) to an X5. Happy so far, although I miss the feeling of "zipping around" that I had in my 325.