Used 2008 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

water pump fail
By beemerx5

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

Rocket Ship
By tcpch

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a CPO with just 16k on the odometer three months ago, and waited to write this review. Thus far, I fall more in love with it every day. Parked in the driveway, with the 20" wheels, it has beautiful lines and exudes raw power. Not the best in stop and start traffic, but once we hit the Pacific Coast Hwy or a twisty canyon, it attacks the road. So confident driving on the freeway, especially in Sport mode. Kids love the panoramic sunroof, and I always feel safe hauling them in the X5. Not sure what the fuss is with iDrive- I love it. Spend the time to learn and you will be amply rewarded. First BMW, and I'm sold for life (previous cars include MB, Audi, and Land Rover).

Favorite Features

My favorite thing: the awesome growl when you hit start! Panoramic sunroof, iDrive, sport mode. Paid a bit more for the BMW warranty- a must have. Service is so seamless and pleasant, and I don't care what they do because it's covered and the car is returned sparkly clean with a smile... Seats are comfortable, and love the super-solid steering wheel that gives confident control at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

The backup camera is an embarrassment (especially at night) but I drove a 2012 5.0 X5 and it was greatly improved. Nav is clunky, but gets the job done.

A Beauty and a Beast
By tcpch

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased a very low mileage CPO. This car is very powerful yet very refined. Works well with two kids around town, but it really shines on the freeway. So smooth, so stable, even over 75 mph with twists and turns... Lower end power not as ideal as I'd hoped (it's a heavy vehicle), but once you get going it's like flying a jet fighter. Technology works great (for 2008 vintage) and iPod integration, bluetooth, and everything else is seamless. Actually love the iDrive- it's intuitive and really lets you customize the car how you want it. Just spend an hour learning it- it's well worth it. Yes, it guzzles gas, but if you buy this vehicle you know what you're getting into.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, panoramic moon roof (kids can't get enough), style, iDrive, feel safe and secure at any speed or any road type. BMW extended warranty means I pay zero for service for another 2.5 years!

Suggested Improvements

Rear camera awful but has been improved on new models, nav is clunky compared to our previous 2001 Acura.

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

Favorite Features

very roomy and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

transmission needs inprovement.