2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
disappointment
By carol fries on 01/28/10 18:33 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Beginning May 15th 2009 the battery went dead 9 times, always when I needed it most, until Nov 13th & the service dept was no help at all. They actually had the salesman deliver it to us on Saturday night Nov 14th saying it was our problem! It was our 3rd X5 & we'd had with no trouble with the others but I fixed the problem myself by buying a Mercedes GL450. bye bye bmw!

BMW X5 Owner In Southern California
By ocbmwguy on 01/26/10 18:05 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

After 5 BMWs the poor quality of my X5 4.8i will be my last. I've had problems with the fuel gauge, satellite radio, brakes and compared to the previous X5 I owned, the re-design from the original X5 is bulky and not as fun to drive.

Everyone should have one!
By Senor Oso on 05/12/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great car, performance with the sport package is exceptional, amazing suspension system. Only drawback is its size, I wish it was 6 inches shorter, oh well.

I'll always own one
By grizzy54 on 04/22/09 20:07 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Since I bought this I've enjoyed it everyday. It rides as tight as my M did but I like the higher sitting. Great performance & handling. I-Drive is easy to use. I don't get all of the complaints? It's very logical & easy to use common sense. I just read that they are launching an M version with a twin Turbo 4.8 V8 for 555 HP & 500 Torq. I'll wait until year 2 to get the bugs out. I love the 4.8 motor, very quick and a nice growl. Handling, brakes are superb. I've owned 4 other BMW's, Acura RL's, Lexus (dumped this in 6 mon.) and I didn't feel the road. It's for folks who want a 'numb' ride. Expensive to maintain. My only gripe is the gas mileage. Hwy I get 20 with a full load and 14 in city.

Avoid this vehicle
By City Engineer on 04/13/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought brand new, June, 2008. Two months later the motor on the A/C blower failed. Three months after that the fuel pump failed and left me stranded on a busy highway. Six months later the transmission failed while on a family vacation. BMW highway assistance is worthless. You get put on hold for 5-15 minutes (if they answer at all) then are told they can send a tow truck within 1 1/2 hours. Overall a disappointing experience for an expensive vehicle.

Not for What it Cost
By Lt Dan on 04/02/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I'll make this blunt. I have had the car over a year now and put 15k miles on it. Overall nice vehicle. Very fast and handles great. Its a BMW and it rides like one. The back up camera is useless at night. Had it in the shop for 3 days to fix it. There is nothing wrong with it, it is junk. Gas mileage is lousy. Run flat tires can not be fixed, at least not by BMW. Get a nail as I did, you're out $280. I agree with one poster who mentioned it does not shift consistently. Sometimes it lurches into gear enough to snap your head back if you stomp on it. Voice controls stink. I had an Acura RL which had a great system (I think it was by Alpine) BMW's will have you yelling at the car. Not intuitive.

Did I buy a lemon? Tastes bitter!
By Jimmy on 03/27/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought X5 a year ago tomorrow and will be taking to dealership again. This time a repeat 4x4 and DSC warning. Last time fault blamed on us leaving a battery powered XM radio plugged into the receptacle inside the armrest storage that caused the battery level to drop?! Today same problem while driving on the highway. Can't wait to hear next excuse. Have taken car in at least 5 times for loud noise when taking out of park. In December Parking Brake would not disengage while 700 miles from home. BMW Assist could not tell us how to manually disengage brake but wanted to drag it onto a flatbed. Dealer told us how. Start-Off Assist jerks back on flat ground!! This is normal? Otherwise great car.

Don't buy BMW X5
By 2008 BMW X5 on 02/12/09 16:56 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV handles like truck and rides like truck in regular road. I took it to off road recently, I wish I could return it, it was worst riding than 18 wheelers. (1) In 2 months A/C motor had to be replace. (2) Back up light at night is so bad you can not see the curb (try it). (3) You need to continually give gas to go forward, or it will drastically slow down. (4) Now motor sit adjusting on the drive side makes noise. (5) So on, it is just bad SUV.

So far so good
By Patrick on 02/04/09 10:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great driving. Sun visors are not very useful. Running boards need to have a re design. They are not user friendly. Any rain or snow leaks any time you open doors. Needs a drip rail or something. How did that get through? No trailer receiver available either? Only had one problem with the 3rd row heat not working. Took dealer 5 days to fix. Otherwise very nice.

Schizophrenic Transmission
By Chuck on 01/24/09 09:02 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Transmission shift points unpredictable, hangs in lower gears sometimes, have to upshift manually. Also, run flat tires are awful. Problem with parking brake locking up will not release by electronic control, had to release by manual method in truck compartment. ROYAL PAIN in the rain this morning. Good luck.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 BMW X5 Suv in NJ is:

$223 per month*