Used 2008 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BEST CAR EVER OWNED
By mvorules

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I bought this car in 2012 with about 60,000 miles on it from the BMW certified preowned dealership. I now have about 93,000 miles on the car. I have had two problems with it. The first was, something attached to the bottom of the car became loose and made a slight rattling. Took that in, was about a $300 repair. I then had the coolant holder crack and that was about a $300 repair as well. Other than that, that's it. LOVE this car!

My favorite about this car, is the big sunroof, I love it. Sounds really stupid but the style of the gear shifter makes the car look and feel 100% more classy. The iDrive system is also one of my favorites as it is easy to use, and fun to be able to scroll through and find problems the car is having, traffic etc

Worst Car I have owned
By coolking

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had X5 for about 1.10 years now put at about 30K miles(Normal family use mostly on Highway). First I have to say this is a drivers car. Fun stops right about here. Already I have spend $6000 on it. $3000 for random repair and $3000 for regular service at a BMW shop. Cost to own does not even have gallons and gallons of Gas I have put in it yet. City MPG about 12/13 mpg and about 18/19 mpg on highway. A combine score of 15/16 mpg. So doing the math cost to own this car is 7481.25 + $6000 = $13481.25 (lol). Mistake of my life I have to say. I have heard that they have made this better in 2014, I guess I will never know :)....

Driving dynamics

Make this car reliable and efficient

water pump fail
By beemerx5

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

very roomy and comfortable