Used 2008 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

water pump fail
By beemerx5

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

Favorite Features

very roomy and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

transmission needs inprovement.

Second Thoughts
By Maurice Brubaker

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

When I purchased this X5 it was great. Since then I have had 3 GPS systems replaced, the AC replaced. Best of all it has left we stranded twice. Could not even open the lift gate or glove box to get roadside assistance number. For a car of this price the quality is terrible. If I wanted this reliability I would of purchased a Chrysler. Kia makes better cars than this. The worst part is that I have had many BMW's. From a M5 to a 7-Series to a 3-Series. This is the first BMW that I have had a problem with.

Favorite Features

The seats are very comfortable considering I paid an extra $1,000. for them.

Suggested Improvements

Better Quality. The AC needs to work better. Very hard to keep the car cool unlike my ML63.

Slow response transmission
By PT

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Vehicle has great styling and the comfort seats are very supportive. This is my 3rd X5. The biggest complaint is the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this problem with a little improvement although very short lived.The transmission is always in too high of a gear at slow speeds. Trying to accelerate, the transmission will not downshift without flooring the accelerator pedal which results in a rough downshift after a time delay .My previous X5s had a very responsive transmissions. I have driven the 3 and 5 series vehicles and their transmissions are nothing short of excellent. This is very frustrating and I will not be purchasing another X5.

Favorite Features

comfort seats. styling,adaptive headlights

Suggested Improvements

transmission. Controls make simple functions very complicated and unintuitive. Instrument panel needs updating.