2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 5 Yrs, 50K
By keith on 02/12/14 19:07 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Strangely, agree with most reviews, + and -. But overall, happy I bought it new. Power is plenty. You pay at pump - never beats 14 MPG around town, 19 MPG highway. Sometimes quirky shifts at low speeds, but never when you pay attention or hit the throttle - pure, magnificent pull. Totally trustworthy handling on most pavements of course. Never leans. "Heavier" feel than our '04 4.4i X5 Sport which I prefer - but wife likes '08 better. 20" OEM Dunlops great, but $$$ to replace every 14K. Battery tends to go low; don't leave tailgate up! Worthless rear camera & NAV. Minor oil gasket leaks, but garage floor is clean. Brakes squeal if you break too lightly, but perfect slowing & stopping.

Rocket Ship
By tcpch on 12/13/11 19:24 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a CPO with just 16k on the odometer three months ago, and waited to write this review. Thus far, I fall more in love with it every day. Parked in the driveway, with the 20" wheels, it has beautiful lines and exudes raw power. Not the best in stop and start traffic, but once we hit the Pacific Coast Hwy or a twisty canyon, it attacks the road. So confident driving on the freeway, especially in Sport mode. Kids love the panoramic sunroof, and I always feel safe hauling them in the X5. Not sure what the fuss is with iDrive- I love it. Spend the time to learn and you will be amply rewarded. First BMW, and I'm sold for life (previous cars include MB, Audi, and Land Rover).

A Beauty and a Beast
By tcpch on 08/04/11 06:53 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased a very low mileage CPO. This car is very powerful yet very refined. Works well with two kids around town, but it really shines on the freeway. So smooth, so stable, even over 75 mph with twists and turns... Lower end power not as ideal as I'd hoped (it's a heavy vehicle), but once you get going it's like flying a jet fighter. Technology works great (for 2008 vintage) and iPod integration, bluetooth, and everything else is seamless. Actually love the iDrive- it's intuitive and really lets you customize the car how you want it. Just spend an hour learning it- it's well worth it. Yes, it guzzles gas, but if you buy this vehicle you know what you're getting into.

Extremely poor build quality
By grey on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Extremely poor build quality. it rattles and squeaks, intermittent suspension noises which dealers cannot fix. purchased brand new in 2008 and hardly used. Please stay away from BMW, buy a Toyota spend the rest of the money with your family. Don't make the mistake i made.

Safety defect with BMW X5 4.8i
By Sam Kawa on 03/05/10 02:41 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I am a life long owner & loyal fan of BMW, so it is with regret i publish that my BMW X5 2007/8 4.8i almost cost the lives of my family. This BMW has now done 16,000kms (10,000miles), it has a serious electric defect preventing it from accelerating & on occasion stalls. It has been into BMW 3 times for this problem & it is now strike 3 & out for this BMW. My pregnant wife was driving the car with my 11mth old son, when the BMW failed to accelerate & stalled at a major intersection, almost causing a serious accident. We will not be driving this vehicle again. Please note i am a lover of BMW, the older model X5 i had was perfect, however due to the severity of this incident this review is out.

disappointment
By carol fries on 01/28/10 18:33 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Beginning May 15th 2009 the battery went dead 9 times, always when I needed it most, until Nov 13th & the service dept was no help at all. They actually had the salesman deliver it to us on Saturday night Nov 14th saying it was our problem! It was our 3rd X5 & we'd had with no trouble with the others but I fixed the problem myself by buying a Mercedes GL450. bye bye bmw!

BMW X5 Owner In Southern California
By ocbmwguy on 01/26/10 18:05 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

After 5 BMWs the poor quality of my X5 4.8i will be my last. I've had problems with the fuel gauge, satellite radio, brakes and compared to the previous X5 I owned, the re-design from the original X5 is bulky and not as fun to drive.

Everyone should have one!
By Senor Oso on 05/12/09 11:58 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is a great car, performance with the sport package is exceptional, amazing suspension system. Only drawback is its size, I wish it was 6 inches shorter, oh well.

I'll always own one
By grizzy54 on 04/22/09 20:07 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Since I bought this I've enjoyed it everyday. It rides as tight as my M did but I like the higher sitting. Great performance & handling. I-Drive is easy to use. I don't get all of the complaints? It's very logical & easy to use common sense. I just read that they are launching an M version with a twin Turbo 4.8 V8 for 555 HP & 500 Torq. I'll wait until year 2 to get the bugs out. I love the 4.8 motor, very quick and a nice growl. Handling, brakes are superb. I've owned 4 other BMW's, Acura RL's, Lexus (dumped this in 6 mon.) and I didn't feel the road. It's for folks who want a 'numb' ride. Expensive to maintain. My only gripe is the gas mileage. Hwy I get 20 with a full load and 14 in city.

Not for What it Cost
By Lt Dan on 04/02/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I'll make this blunt. I have had the car over a year now and put 15k miles on it. Overall nice vehicle. Very fast and handles great. Its a BMW and it rides like one. The back up camera is useless at night. Had it in the shop for 3 days to fix it. There is nothing wrong with it, it is junk. Gas mileage is lousy. Run flat tires can not be fixed, at least not by BMW. Get a nail as I did, you're out $280. I agree with one poster who mentioned it does not shift consistently. Sometimes it lurches into gear enough to snap your head back if you stomp on it. Voice controls stink. I had an Acura RL which had a great system (I think it was by Alpine) BMW's will have you yelling at the car. Not intuitive.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.