Used 2008 BMW X5 4.8i SUV Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
By Harrison

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I recently bought an X5 a few months ago with 90k miles. I have put about 12k miles on it sence I've owned it. everything seems to be working just fine, I took it for an oil change 2 months after I bought it and they said it had a slight oil leak from the main seal, they said it was nothing to be too concerned with but to keep my eye on it. this is the only problem I have ran into and from what I hear all bmw's have this problem or one similar. I honestly love my x5, I've never driven an suv that puts the power down and handles like a sports car. The ride quality is really nice, almost like floating on a cloud. The interior is nice, spacious and simple, everything is at your finger tips. Cargo space isn't bad, a little smaller than a Tahoe's. The valvetronic exhaust sounds really good when put into sport mode. The 20" sport rims and tires are a MUST, 20/275 in the front and 20/315 in the rear, really makes the X5 look mean and drive like a beast, Overall I would recommend this vehicle to someone, just get the vehicle checked out before you buy it.

Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak
By john arata, jr

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased this vehicle with 40,000 miles on her and now its leaking oil. I am being told it is the "Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak" about 8 to 10 hours in labor to fix a $3 gasket. This is 1 of several problems. $1000 plus dollar repair.... really??? BMW 4.8L V8 has obvious problems and no recall. BMW needS to stand up for their mistakes and make them right. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A BMW!!!!!

Love the X5 but lots of serious issues
By pjchawaii

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had 4 BMWs in the past 5-6 years and overall really love the brand. Unfortunately the purchase of my X5 has tarnished my otherwise positive view of build quality.

Generally I lease vehicles, but this I chose to purchase with the idea of keeping it for 6-8 years figuring I could justify the $80,000 price if amortized over those years.

The X5 has a lot of complex things about it so I wasn't foolish to think it would be a low maintenance vehicle - but didn't expect : at 39K miles - New A/C ($3500) - New rear struts ($2000), & now - a new TRANSMISSION! $10,000. Seriously, at 40K miles this is a disgrace. . My pampered X5 has sadly failed me. Summary : Extended Warranty.

Size, ride quality, look & feel, handling

Some fit and finish issues. Tail gate (power) rattled badly from the first year of ownership until now, despite repeated attempts to correct. Rubberized / textured interior parts have bubbled and peeled in a car that's been garaged most of its life. Too complex for smaller dealerships that don't know the car intimately to successfully work on without creating further issues.

Great performance and reliability
By jhersey

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2008 4.8 X5 new.
I now have 75k miles and have not had any major issues.
This car has been a joy to drive and very reliable.

I had one issue with the adaptive headlights, but that was covered under warranty.
I did not purchase an extended warranty and very happy with that decision as it would have been a waste of money.

Consumer reports rates this vehicle low for reliability and my experience says they got this one wrong.
Glad I did not trust their analysis.

My favorite feature is the handling of the vehicle. Super handling in the turns. Acceleration and braking are exceptional. I really appreciate the 7 passenger seating capacity. Note that the third row is only suitable for children 5 - 12, but it works for our family and is one of the primary reasons I purchased and kept the vehicle. I wanted a sports car that had seating capacity.

Only improvement I'd suggest is providing an iPhone interface for controlling the NAV and iDrive features. The iDrive interface is clumsy.

2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 5 Yrs, 50K
By keith

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Strangely, agree with most reviews, + and -.
But overall, happy I bought it new.
Power is plenty. You pay at pump - never beats 14 MPG around town, 19 MPG highway.
Sometimes quirky shifts at low speeds, but never when you pay attention or hit the throttle - pure, magnificent pull. Totally trustworthy handling on most pavements of course.
Never leans.
"Heavier" feel than our '04 4.4i X5 Sport which I prefer - but wife likes '08 better. 20" OEM Dunlops great, but $$$ to replace every 14K.
Battery tends to go low; don't leave tailgate up! Worthless rear camera & NAV.
Minor oil gasket leaks, but garage floor is clean. Brakes squeal if you break too lightly, but perfect slowing & stopping.

Trusted power and agility. Never found myself in a situation that had anything to do with the car. Maneuvers almost like a small sports car. Slight understeer just right. High enough seating to see around/over anything but truly huge SUVs and trucks (unfortunately we have a lot of those in AZ). Quiet. Comfortable. With 2nd row seats down, I can throw my road bicycle in without taking the front wheel off or leaving tire smudge on back of front seats. With 2nd row up, can actually handle all our luggage to A/P - that's saying something. Very high day to day utility!

BMW should never bother with 3rd row seating! It will never compete with our Suburban for hauling people and stuff, nor should it try! And X5's have notoriously soft rears, which you will find out if you so much as touch anything with it at any reverse speed, no matter how slow. Some minor things persist even in the new X5's - like hard to set fan speed without actually looking down while driving (hey BMW, put the fan speed on the big knob and temp on the tiny buttons!). Finally BMW, isn't there some design thing you can do to help keep black grit off the tailgate? It gets filthy one day after a wash, both the '08 and '04. Lastly, I agree that the running boards are more pain than gain.