2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
water pump fail
By beemerx5 on 01/11/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959 on 12/14/11 21:13 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73 on 03/10/11 10:02 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

Second Thoughts
By Maurice Brubaker on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

When I purchased this X5 it was great. Since then I have had 3 GPS systems replaced, the AC replaced. Best of all it has left we stranded twice. Could not even open the lift gate or glove box to get roadside assistance number. For a car of this price the quality is terrible. If I wanted this reliability I would of purchased a Chrysler. Kia makes better cars than this. The worst part is that I have had many BMW's. From a M5 to a 7-Series to a 3-Series. This is the first BMW that I have had a problem with.

Slow response transmission
By PT on 05/08/10 19:50 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Vehicle has great styling and the comfort seats are very supportive. This is my 3rd X5. The biggest complaint is the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this problem with a little improvement although very short lived.The transmission is always in too high of a gear at slow speeds. Trying to accelerate, the transmission will not downshift without flooring the accelerator pedal which results in a rough downshift after a time delay .My previous X5s had a very responsive transmissions. I have driven the 3 and 5 series vehicles and their transmissions are nothing short of excellent. This is very frustrating and I will not be purchasing another X5.

Avoid this vehicle
By City Engineer on 04/13/09 07:34 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought brand new, June, 2008. Two months later the motor on the A/C blower failed. Three months after that the fuel pump failed and left me stranded on a busy highway. Six months later the transmission failed while on a family vacation. BMW highway assistance is worthless. You get put on hold for 5-15 minutes (if they answer at all) then are told they can send a tow truck within 1 1/2 hours. Overall a disappointing experience for an expensive vehicle.

Did I buy a lemon? Tastes bitter!
By Jimmy on 03/27/09 18:52 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought X5 a year ago tomorrow and will be taking to dealership again. This time a repeat 4x4 and DSC warning. Last time fault blamed on us leaving a battery powered XM radio plugged into the receptacle inside the armrest storage that caused the battery level to drop?! Today same problem while driving on the highway. Can't wait to hear next excuse. Have taken car in at least 5 times for loud noise when taking out of park. In December Parking Brake would not disengage while 700 miles from home. BMW Assist could not tell us how to manually disengage brake but wanted to drag it onto a flatbed. Dealer told us how. Start-Off Assist jerks back on flat ground!! This is normal? Otherwise great car.

Don't buy BMW X5
By 2008 BMW X5 on 02/12/09 16:56 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This SUV handles like truck and rides like truck in regular road. I took it to off road recently, I wish I could return it, it was worst riding than 18 wheelers. (1) In 2 months A/C motor had to be replace. (2) Back up light at night is so bad you can not see the curb (try it). (3) You need to continually give gas to go forward, or it will drastically slow down. (4) Now motor sit adjusting on the drive side makes noise. (5) So on, it is just bad SUV.

So far so good
By Patrick on 02/04/09 10:44 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Great driving. Sun visors are not very useful. Running boards need to have a re design. They are not user friendly. Any rain or snow leaks any time you open doors. Needs a drip rail or something. How did that get through? No trailer receiver available either? Only had one problem with the 3rd row heat not working. Took dealer 5 days to fix. Otherwise very nice.

Beware of the X5 - Very Disappointed
By mattshahidi on 01/14/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

At first the X5 was great to drive until all the problems started. What we did not know about the X5 is that it has a history of electrical problems. BMW has yet to fix them for 2009. If you are unfortunate to have these the dealers will never be able to fix them. Be aware if you have a fatal or any other warning light it will show up in the computer, so you must tend to it right away to avoid liability. As for contacting BMW assist, forget about it if you have a problem on a weekend. Better yet, just have a second car. Less disappointing that way.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.