2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Great performance and reliability
By jhersey on 06/02/14 00:19 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2008 4.8 X5 new. I now have 75k miles and have not had any major issues. This car has been a joy to drive and very reliable. I had one issue with the adaptive headlights, but that was covered under warranty. I did not purchase an extended warranty and very happy with that decision as it would have been a waste of money. Consumer reports rates this vehicle low for reliability and my experience says they got this one wrong. Glad I did not trust their analysis.

2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 5 Yrs, 50K
By keith on 02/12/14 19:07 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Strangely, agree with most reviews, + and -. But overall, happy I bought it new. Power is plenty. You pay at pump - never beats 14 MPG around town, 19 MPG highway. Sometimes quirky shifts at low speeds, but never when you pay attention or hit the throttle - pure, magnificent pull. Totally trustworthy handling on most pavements of course. Never leans. "Heavier" feel than our '04 4.4i X5 Sport which I prefer - but wife likes '08 better. 20" OEM Dunlops great, but $$$ to replace every 14K. Battery tends to go low; don't leave tailgate up! Worthless rear camera & NAV. Minor oil gasket leaks, but garage floor is clean. Brakes squeal if you break too lightly, but perfect slowing & stopping.

water pump fail
By beemerx5 on 01/11/12 09:38 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959 on 12/14/11 21:13 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

Rocket Ship
By tcpch on 12/13/11 19:24 PM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a CPO with just 16k on the odometer three months ago, and waited to write this review. Thus far, I fall more in love with it every day. Parked in the driveway, with the 20" wheels, it has beautiful lines and exudes raw power. Not the best in stop and start traffic, but once we hit the Pacific Coast Hwy or a twisty canyon, it attacks the road. So confident driving on the freeway, especially in Sport mode. Kids love the panoramic sunroof, and I always feel safe hauling them in the X5. Not sure what the fuss is with iDrive- I love it. Spend the time to learn and you will be amply rewarded. First BMW, and I'm sold for life (previous cars include MB, Audi, and Land Rover).

A Beauty and a Beast
By tcpch on 08/04/11 06:53 AM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased a very low mileage CPO. This car is very powerful yet very refined. Works well with two kids around town, but it really shines on the freeway. So smooth, so stable, even over 75 mph with twists and turns... Lower end power not as ideal as I'd hoped (it's a heavy vehicle), but once you get going it's like flying a jet fighter. Technology works great (for 2008 vintage) and iPod integration, bluetooth, and everything else is seamless. Actually love the iDrive- it's intuitive and really lets you customize the car how you want it. Just spend an hour learning it- it's well worth it. Yes, it guzzles gas, but if you buy this vehicle you know what you're getting into.

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73 on 03/10/11 10:02 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

Second Thoughts
By Maurice Brubaker on 11/17/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

When I purchased this X5 it was great. Since then I have had 3 GPS systems replaced, the AC replaced. Best of all it has left we stranded twice. Could not even open the lift gate or glove box to get roadside assistance number. For a car of this price the quality is terrible. If I wanted this reliability I would of purchased a Chrysler. Kia makes better cars than this. The worst part is that I have had many BMW's. From a M5 to a 7-Series to a 3-Series. This is the first BMW that I have had a problem with.

Extremely poor build quality
By grey on 11/09/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Extremely poor build quality. it rattles and squeaks, intermittent suspension noises which dealers cannot fix. purchased brand new in 2008 and hardly used. Please stay away from BMW, buy a Toyota spend the rest of the money with your family. Don't make the mistake i made.

Slow response transmission
By PT on 05/08/10 19:50 PM (PDT)

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The Vehicle has great styling and the comfort seats are very supportive. This is my 3rd X5. The biggest complaint is the transmission. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times for this problem with a little improvement although very short lived.The transmission is always in too high of a gear at slow speeds. Trying to accelerate, the transmission will not downshift without flooring the accelerator pedal which results in a rough downshift after a time delay .My previous X5s had a very responsive transmissions. I have driven the 3 and 5 series vehicles and their transmissions are nothing short of excellent. This is very frustrating and I will not be purchasing another X5.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.