Used 2008 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
By Harrison

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I recently bought an X5 a few months ago with 90k miles. I have put about 12k miles on it sence I've owned it. everything seems to be working just fine, I took it for an oil change 2 months after I bought it and they said it had a slight oil leak from the main seal, they said it was nothing to be too concerned with but to keep my eye on it. this is the only problem I have ran into and from what I hear all bmw's have this problem or one similar. I honestly love my x5, I've never driven an suv that puts the power down and handles like a sports car. The ride quality is really nice, almost like floating on a cloud. The interior is nice, spacious and simple, everything is at your finger tips. Cargo space isn't bad, a little smaller than a Tahoe's. The valvetronic exhaust sounds really good when put into sport mode. The 20" sport rims and tires are a MUST, 20/275 in the front and 20/315 in the rear, really makes the X5 look mean and drive like a beast, Overall I would recommend this vehicle to someone, just get the vehicle checked out before you buy it.

BEST CAR EVER OWNED
By mvorules

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I bought this car in 2012 with about 60,000 miles on it from the BMW certified preowned dealership. I now have about 93,000 miles on the car. I have had two problems with it. The first was, something attached to the bottom of the car became loose and made a slight rattling. Took that in, was about a $300 repair. I then had the coolant holder crack and that was about a $300 repair as well. Other than that, that's it. LOVE this car!

My favorite about this car, is the big sunroof, I love it. Sounds really stupid but the style of the gear shifter makes the car look and feel 100% more classy. The iDrive system is also one of my favorites as it is easy to use, and fun to be able to scroll through and find problems the car is having, traffic etc

Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak
By john arata, jr

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased this vehicle with 40,000 miles on her and now its leaking oil. I am being told it is the "Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak" about 8 to 10 hours in labor to fix a $3 gasket. This is 1 of several problems. $1000 plus dollar repair.... really??? BMW 4.8L V8 has obvious problems and no recall. BMW needS to stand up for their mistakes and make them right. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A BMW!!!!!

Worst Car I have owned
By coolking

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had X5 for about 1.10 years now put at about 30K miles(Normal family use mostly on Highway). First I have to say this is a drivers car. Fun stops right about here. Already I have spend $6000 on it. $3000 for random repair and $3000 for regular service at a BMW shop. Cost to own does not even have gallons and gallons of Gas I have put in it yet. City MPG about 12/13 mpg and about 18/19 mpg on highway. A combine score of 15/16 mpg. So doing the math cost to own this car is 7481.25 + $6000 = $13481.25 (lol). Mistake of my life I have to say. I have heard that they have made this better in 2014, I guess I will never know :)....

Driving dynamics

Make this car reliable and efficient

Love the X5 but lots of serious issues
By pjchawaii

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had 4 BMWs in the past 5-6 years and overall really love the brand. Unfortunately the purchase of my X5 has tarnished my otherwise positive view of build quality. Generally I lease vehicles, but this I chose to purchase with the idea of keeping it for 6-8 years figuring I could justify the $80,000 price if amortized over those years. The X5 has a lot of complex things about it so I wasn't foolish to think it would be a low maintenance vehicle - but didn't expect : at 39K miles - New A/C ($3500) - New rear struts ($2000), & now - a new TRANSMISSION! $10,000. Seriously, at 40K miles this is a disgrace. . My pampered X5 has sadly failed me. Summary : Extended Warranty.

Size, ride quality, look & feel, handling

Some fit and finish issues. Tail gate (power) rattled badly from the first year of ownership until now, despite repeated attempts to correct. Rubberized / textured interior parts have bubbled and peeled in a car that's been garaged most of its life. Too complex for smaller dealerships that don't know the car intimately to successfully work on without creating further issues.

• SUV