2008 BMW X5 3.0si Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak
By john arata, jr

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased this vehicle with 40,000 miles on her and now its leaking oil. I am being told it is the "Dreaded Alternator Bracket Oil Leak" about 8 to 10 hours in labor to fix a $3 gasket. This is 1 of several problems. $1000 plus dollar repair.... really??? BMW 4.8L V8 has obvious problems and no recall. BMW needS to stand up for their mistakes and make them right. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT BUY A BMW!!!!!

Worst Car I have owned
By coolking

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have had X5 for about 1.10 years now put at about 30K miles(Normal family use mostly on Highway). First I have to say this is a drivers car. Fun stops right about here. Already I have spend $6000 on it. $3000 for random repair and $3000 for regular service at a BMW shop. Cost to own does not even have gallons and gallons of Gas I have put in it yet. City MPG about 12/13 mpg and about 18/19 mpg on highway. A combine score of 15/16 mpg. So doing the math cost to own this car is 7481.25 + $6000 = $13481.25 (lol). Mistake of my life I have to say. I have heard that they have made this better in 2014, I guess I will never know :)....

Favorite Features

Driving dynamics

Suggested Improvements

Make this car reliable and efficient

Love the X5 but lots of serious issues
By pjchawaii

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

So I've had 4 BMWs in the past 5-6 years and overall really love the brand. Unfortunately the purchase of my X5 has tarnished my otherwise positive view of build quality. Generally I lease vehicles, but this I chose to purchase with the idea of keeping it for 6-8 years figuring I could justify the $80,000 price if amortized over those years. The X5 has a lot of complex things about it so I wasn't foolish to think it would be a low maintenance vehicle - but didn't expect : at 39K miles - New A/C ($3500) - New rear struts ($2000), & now - a new TRANSMISSION! $10,000. Seriously, at 40K miles this is a disgrace. . My pampered X5 has sadly failed me. Summary : Extended Warranty.

Favorite Features

Size, ride quality, look & feel, handling

Suggested Improvements

Some fit and finish issues. Tail gate (power) rattled badly from the first year of ownership until now, despite repeated attempts to correct. Rubberized / textured interior parts have bubbled and peeled in a car that's been garaged most of its life. Too complex for smaller dealerships that don't know the car intimately to successfully work on without creating further issues.

Great performance and reliability
By jhersey

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased my 2008 4.8 X5 new. I now have 75k miles and have not had any major issues. This car has been a joy to drive and very reliable. I had one issue with the adaptive headlights, but that was covered under warranty. I did not purchase an extended warranty and very happy with that decision as it would have been a waste of money. Consumer reports rates this vehicle low for reliability and my experience says they got this one wrong. Glad I did not trust their analysis.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is the handling of the vehicle. Super handling in the turns. Acceleration and braking are exceptional. I really appreciate the 7 passenger seating capacity. Note that the third row is only suitable for children 5 - 12, but it works for our family and is one of the primary reasons I purchased and kept the vehicle. I wanted a sports car that had seating capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Only improvement I'd suggest is providing an iPhone interface for controlling the NAV and iDrive features. The iDrive interface is clumsy.

2008 BMW 4.8i X5 Sport Pkg at 5 Yrs, 50K
By keith

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Strangely, agree with most reviews, + and -. But overall, happy I bought it new. Power is plenty. You pay at pump - never beats 14 MPG around town, 19 MPG highway. Sometimes quirky shifts at low speeds, but never when you pay attention or hit the throttle - pure, magnificent pull. Totally trustworthy handling on most pavements of course. Never leans. "Heavier" feel than our '04 4.4i X5 Sport which I prefer - but wife likes '08 better. 20" OEM Dunlops great, but $$$ to replace every 14K. Battery tends to go low; don't leave tailgate up! Worthless rear camera & NAV. Minor oil gasket leaks, but garage floor is clean. Brakes squeal if you break too lightly, but perfect slowing & stopping.

Favorite Features

Trusted power and agility. Never found myself in a situation that had anything to do with the car. Maneuvers almost like a small sports car. Slight understeer just right. High enough seating to see around/over anything but truly huge SUVs and trucks (unfortunately we have a lot of those in AZ). Quiet. Comfortable. With 2nd row seats down, I can throw my road bicycle in without taking the front wheel off or leaving tire smudge on back of front seats. With 2nd row up, can actually handle all our luggage to A/P - that's saying something. Very high day to day utility!

Suggested Improvements

BMW should never bother with 3rd row seating! It will never compete with our Suburban for hauling people and stuff, nor should it try! And X5's have notoriously soft rears, which you will find out if you so much as touch anything with it at any reverse speed, no matter how slow. Some minor things persist even in the new X5's - like hard to set fan speed without actually looking down while driving (hey BMW, put the fan speed on the big knob and temp on the tiny buttons!). Finally BMW, isn't there some design thing you can do to help keep black grit off the tailgate? It gets filthy one day after a wash, both the '08 and '04. Lastly, I agree that the running boards are more pain than gain.

water pump fail
By beemerx5

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

We bought an '08 X5 6 cyl in Oct/2011 w/ a little over 48k miles, had it serviced while still under warranty, cracked air-intake boot replaced, faulty left mirror adj switch replaced, oil-gasket leak repaired & new brake pads & sensors replaced on all 4 - all warranty work. Then in Jan/2012 the elec water pump failed causing eng over-heat & the car automatically forced my wife to slow down. This, in itself to me, is quite dangerous, depending on what sort of traffic one might be in when this occurs. At the time, the car had just past 50k miles by 200 miles. We still got a free tow (under warranty) & BMW did pay for the water pump part, but not the pricy labor involved. This is our 1st BMW.

WHAT DID BMW DO TO THE QUALITY 00000000
By marc1959

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

WOW "" I had a 2005 X5 That was the best car I ever owned But when I bought into this piece of plastic crap very poor qualiyt all the way around what did they to' what was a mastered car. I can't wait to trade back to an 05 06 no power poor sound system And a flawed I drive I have a 6 cy but the car thinks it's a v12 very poor on gas I will cost me 15 K loss But I will be back to an 05 06 . and if you have an 05 06 hang on to it my last one had over 140K And ran like new when I made my fatal mistake $ 38K Mistake

Rocket Ship
By tcpch

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased a CPO with just 16k on the odometer three months ago, and waited to write this review. Thus far, I fall more in love with it every day. Parked in the driveway, with the 20" wheels, it has beautiful lines and exudes raw power. Not the best in stop and start traffic, but once we hit the Pacific Coast Hwy or a twisty canyon, it attacks the road. So confident driving on the freeway, especially in Sport mode. Kids love the panoramic sunroof, and I always feel safe hauling them in the X5. Not sure what the fuss is with iDrive- I love it. Spend the time to learn and you will be amply rewarded. First BMW, and I'm sold for life (previous cars include MB, Audi, and Land Rover).

Favorite Features

My favorite thing: the awesome growl when you hit start! Panoramic sunroof, iDrive, sport mode. Paid a bit more for the BMW warranty- a must have. Service is so seamless and pleasant, and I don't care what they do because it's covered and the car is returned sparkly clean with a smile... Seats are comfortable, and love the super-solid steering wheel that gives confident control at any speed.

Suggested Improvements

The backup camera is an embarrassment (especially at night) but I drove a 2012 5.0 X5 and it was greatly improved. Nav is clunky, but gets the job done.

A Beauty and a Beast
By tcpch

2008 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Just purchased a very low mileage CPO. This car is very powerful yet very refined. Works well with two kids around town, but it really shines on the freeway. So smooth, so stable, even over 75 mph with twists and turns... Lower end power not as ideal as I'd hoped (it's a heavy vehicle), but once you get going it's like flying a jet fighter. Technology works great (for 2008 vintage) and iPod integration, bluetooth, and everything else is seamless. Actually love the iDrive- it's intuitive and really lets you customize the car how you want it. Just spend an hour learning it- it's well worth it. Yes, it guzzles gas, but if you buy this vehicle you know what you're getting into.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, panoramic moon roof (kids can't get enough), style, iDrive, feel safe and secure at any speed or any road type. BMW extended warranty means I pay zero for service for another 2.5 years!

Suggested Improvements

Rear camera awful but has been improved on new models, nav is clunky compared to our previous 2001 Acura.

2008 BMWX5 Transmission
By markie73

2008 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The BMW X5 transmission does not work and BMW America is aware of the situation and will not correct the problem..I love BMW but the service received from BMW I will never driver another one or recommend it to anyone for that matter.

Favorite Features

very roomy and comfortable

Suggested Improvements

transmission needs inprovement.