Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230 on
2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)
On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.” Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.
Suggested Improvements
We purchased the BMW based on its reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase your product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW – it was covered solely by my savings.
By fade2blk
on 12/30/11 13:07 PM (PST)

Has anyone out there had any luck with asking BMW to recall the factory alternator? TKs...

By hwhite_nj
on 10/29/11 09:50 AM (PDT)

I had the same exact thing happen to my 07' X5 with 30k miles, but 30 days outside of the warranty window, the dealer stated that I need an 180 amp alternator, they suggest all the power gadgets on this vehicle drains the power. What was your faulty part. When this car is running, it is great in terms of performance, but it seems there is never a low cost repair cost with these. Wife drives a $24k Caravan with 125k miles and still going... It did contact BMW and they are looking into covering this...this is my 3rd BMW overall and in the past they have come through...after a few phone calls though.

By fade2blk
on 12/30/11 13:05 PM (PST)

Wow! I have a 2007 X5 4.8 and the wholesale dealer I purchased it from said, quote "why don't you grab a Benz, as these Krout wagons shut down after 50,000 miles" end quote. Well, let's just say that was the best advise I have never taken. All of the items james230 listed above happened to me, not only once but twice. The fist time my wife was driving and the electronics started going crazy and it stopped in the middle of the freeway. BMW replaced the battery???? $1,250.00 The 2nd time I was driving from Whistler on the Sea to Sky and it started flashing parking break, passanger restraint, ABS and all wheel drive malfunction. It completly shut down on the freeway with my entire family. It happend so fast, it did not give us enough time to pull off the road. Stuck again! So this time they are telling me it is the Alternator (1,600.00). WOW! No more Krout wagons for this guy. It runs great when it's running, but when it's down.....boy does it cost you dearly! It will surley go on the trading blocks....