2007 BMW X5 Consumer Review: Falls apart after 50k Miles!

2007 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

Falls apart after 50k Miles!
By alcapitalist on

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

There were bugs the first year or two but the dealer would provide a loaner so it was not a problem. The dealership staff was courteous and helpful. The problems really started after 50k miles. I missed a flight when the electrical system went haywire. Turns out, it did not like syncing with my phone. So no bluetooth phone to car now. Then around 60k my radiator went out (>$1k to fix). 71k my water pump, solenoid valve, hood shocks (never remember them working) and hood latch replaced ($2,291). Went out on road full of curves and hills but vehicle won't let you drive it if it thinks something is wrong. Very dangerous situation resulted. Had to sit on steep angle side of road.

I paid for and ordered the vehicle in December of 2006 with the features I wanted. It was delivered in Feb 2007. I truly enjoyed my vehicle so long as it was in warranty. Comfortable, great all wheel drive and handling. Excellent performance.

Reliability and not trapping the driver in a dangerous situation. Vehicle will not let you drive more than a few feet when certain error codes occurs. Drive disengaged on curvy 2 lane highway heavily traveled by logging trucks. Gas Mileage on sticker is optimistic. I accepted the radiator as a fluke. German Engineering right? But after this last incident, I am convinced the parts used are not of sufficient quality either by design, or incompetence. My friends who own the Lexus, Infinity and Acura SUV's don't have these problems. And yes, I had all recommended maintenance completed and still do.
By ck1962
on 08/14/15 21:35 PM (PDT)

X5 is made in the US plant so reliability issues has to do more with assembly process and quality control than with the brand itself...