2007 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW X5 exceeds SUV expectations
By david on 08/26/07 13:28 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Drives and handles superbly in comparison to the Mercedes ML350 and Lexus GX470. More features like run flat tires, xenon headlamps, etc., are standard equipment but on the others they are options; nicer looking and zero cost maintenance warranty, the kind of warranty you used to be able to get with a Mercedes.

4th one is not a charm!
By bill jones on 08/20/07 10:40 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 4th BMW X5 and the first one I am not in love with. The interior is noisy. The transmission does not seem as responsive as previous models. The sport seats are not comfortable. The iDrive is very buggy. Has been in the shop several times already. My previous X5s never saw the shop once except for an oil change. Will try to sell this one. Kind of disappointed since for the last 10 years every car I have owned has been a BMW.

Poorly made - plastic and cheap
By ericld on 08/19/07 09:28 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This new BMW X5 is a shocker. The SUV/SAV is so cheaply made on the interior that it buzzes and rattles over all roads. My 12-year old insisted that the back seats felt like sitting in the plastic bleachers at a school ball game. I like BMW and I'm shocked that this car ever left the test facility. It's all engine and suspension, and performs well, but the build quality is cheap. The leather seating surfaces are hard and felt like vinyl.

Practical Fun
By emc on 07/30/07 12:38 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Other than fuel economy that comes from a 350 hp V8 in a 5,000 pound SAV the X5 4.8 is a blast to drive. The iDrive was not hard for me to pick up. I really like the sleek gearshift with it's two shift programs plus manual. The SAV is tight as a drum and no issues to report.

Nice SUV
By Pdx BMW on 07/14/07 13:15 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Very nice SUV - we've had other BMWs but this is the first with iDrive and I agree, iDrive stinks. In spite of the iDrive this is the only SUV I have ever driven that is actually fun to drive. (We've had a few Denalis and Tahoes.) It drives like a BMW. Overall, it's a good car, fun to drive, I'd buy another.

Fun Ride
By JDL on 06/19/07 20:48 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

The navigation unit pales in comparison to that of Honda/Acura. The X5 is nimble, unmatched in its ability to handle quick turns. The acceleration is very good, considering the low gear takeoff. I found the steptronic transmission feature allows for smooth quick acceleration in M3 to M6. The transmission seems to work a little harder in M6 than in D6. I have 5100 miles on mine in 3 months. I really enjoy driving this SAV. The third row seat is only for kids under 5ft and under 120 ibs.

Not so great
By kays on 06/03/07 07:11 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd X5, and was, I thought, a no brainer to purchase. Wrong! Part of my disappointment may come from the fact that my previous X5s were 4.0s This car feels underpowered and slow in many situations. The seats are very different from my old X5. I have yet to find a comfortable setting; have driven 10,000 miles so far. The X5 has changed its size slightly, but enough that it is difficult for a short person to enter. My runflat got a flat at 5,000 and they would not fix it, only replace it for $400+. Car has had some computer glitches; got towed away DEAD at 3,000; dealership never could figure it out. The info screen goes dead sometimes for no reason. Not a great BMW.

Buyer Beware
By bmw on 05/17/07 19:19 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This car has issues. Please be aware that i-drive software is buggy and still a work in process. Many of the features do not work. Stupid stuff like tilt steering, brightness on display, push buttons for radio stations. Biggest issue with this vehicle is the problems many are having with the transmission. High revving and thump upon slow down. Car will spend much time in the shop.

Tranny Problems Anyone?
By Texaninpdx on 05/14/07 14:34 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I too had issues with the transmission not wanting to shift. Luckily I was near my home. Nonetheless, I took it in and a computer reset was done - haven't had the issue since. Otherwise, traded an 07 Escalade for this beauty. I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for sporty driving as well as utility.

BMW Designed This One Exactly Right!
By Greg on 05/09/07 09:16 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my new X5 supports my previous statements about BMW being the best ownership I've ever had. This X5 does everything right. The computer controlled transmission operates exactly the same as if I was making the decisions myself. The X5 drives amazingly like the Porsche 911 I recently owned, probably because of the Sports Package and 20" wheels that I insisted on having. This SAV is as close to perfect as any of my previous vehicles.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.