Used 2007 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Great Car
By RM

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I love my BMW, great car, lots of power, best at taking turns at high speed. I don't know any other SUV like this one out there. I had X5 3.0 before and 4.8 doesn't compare - it is in a different league with the power and the sound of engine. I think its stick shift is the best, iDrive works fine, not sure what others referring to, all need my car to do is play a CD :). Bottom line - great core NOTHING compares, it is made for the driver. I do have side boards and I love them, yes, for short people hard to get out but I am tall and have no problem, it is actually funny when short dudes complain how difficult to get out... Love the car - it was made for me! :)

So far so Good
By goodgame2009

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I didn't want to pay for the premium price for a new X5 so I got a use one. Pro: Good driving overall, great dealer service. Get used to hear people tell you "nice car or suv". Con: little sluggish with V6, I want a V8 now but of course you will have to pay for it (Gas). Back cam broke and dealer replaced it no charge. But the part only lasts three years for a back up cam? I hope BMW does a better job.

Favorite Features

All the small details, like push button side mirror close, little lite under the door handle, overall layout, just very nicely done.

Suggested Improvements

I know it is a heavy suv but wish V6 can put out more power, I know I know I should get a V8.

BMW never again!!
By Alessandra

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the car with sport package including 20" wheels. Wished I've known then what I know now. Replace the rims several times($1,100 each or $275 to fix),once 3 were crack at the same time. If I run over a pothole for sure 1 rim will crack. In the city it's hard to avoid potholes when traffic is too close behind. Those rims have run flat tires,so NO spares,NO car until new rims arrive(about10-12 days). Now there is a problem with the battery,it gets "awaken" for no reason,which means battery is dead,so key is stuck,NOTHING works,had the car jumped and running would not get into gear. Pick up car today(1 week),left window was open during rain,left door & seat controls soaked including leather seat

Favorite Features

speed,comfort,power.

Suggested Improvements

Clock too small,hard to read. When updating software should update Ipod. Ipod interface not very practical,dashboard needs updating, seats dont go back or up enough,hard for someone with long legs to be comfortable. Control to open garage has very little range compare to old Range Rover & Mercedes

No major complaints
By bla

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased car brand new - expected lots of issues, especially when I was reading reviews - to my surprise -- pretty reliable. Only had to replace battery because of a bad cell, could happen in any car.

Favorite Features

Performance, bluetooth, awesome seats,

Suggested Improvements

lots of electronics - not a lot of diagnostic tools - dealership is having difficulties serving these cars

Major Disappointment
By CJ

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After owning a Landcruiser, we were ready for something a bit smaller, with better fuel economy. The X5 is a beautiful car and a dream to drive unless it's in the shop. Between 'check engine' lights and 'computer updates', we will sell this car as soon as it is out of the shop - for the 5th time this year alone. Even if we could afford the price tag of our almost monthly visits to BMW, we cannot afford the unreliability and inconvenience of this vehicle. When the car broke down on a major highway last week, the dealership told us the vehicle was "confused", there was nothing wrong with it and we were good to go. Less than 48 hours later, on another highway, it broke down again.

Favorite Features

Beautiful vehicle. Very comfortable seating. Handles well.

Suggested Improvements

Unreliability and BMW's lack of concern with regard to these problems are a great disappointment. I think there are innate flaws with the internal components of this car.