Used 2007 BMW X5 Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2007 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Falls apart after 50k Miles!
By alcapitalist

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

There were bugs the first year or two but the dealer would provide a loaner so it was not a problem.
The dealership staff was courteous and helpful.
The problems really started after 50k miles.
I missed a flight when the electrical system went haywire.
Turns out, it did not like syncing with my phone. So no bluetooth phone to car now.
Then around 60k my radiator went out (>$1k to fix).
71k my water pump, solenoid valve, hood shocks (never remember them working) and hood latch replaced ($2,291).
Went out on road full of curves and hills but vehicle won't let you drive it if it thinks something is wrong.
Very dangerous situation resulted.
Had to sit on steep angle side of road.

I paid for and ordered the vehicle in December of 2006 with the features I wanted. It was delivered in Feb 2007. I truly enjoyed my vehicle so long as it was in warranty. Comfortable, great all wheel drive and handling. Excellent performance.

Reliability and not trapping the driver in a dangerous situation. Vehicle will not let you drive more than a few feet when certain error codes occurs. Drive disengaged on curvy 2 lane highway heavily traveled by logging trucks. Gas Mileage on sticker is optimistic. I accepted the radiator as a fluke. German Engineering right? But after this last incident, I am convinced the parts used are not of sufficient quality either by design, or incompetence. My friends who own the Lexus, Infinity and Acura SUV's don't have these problems. And yes, I had all recommended maintenance completed and still do.

Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.”
Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.

We purchased the BMW based on its reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase your product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW – it was covered solely by my savings.

Major Disappointment
By CJ

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After owning a Landcruiser, we were ready for something a bit smaller, with better fuel economy. The X5 is a beautiful car and a dream to drive unless it's in the shop. Between 'check engine' lights and 'computer updates', we will sell this car as soon as it is out of the shop - for the 5th time this year alone. Even if we could afford the price tag of our almost monthly visits to BMW, we cannot afford the unreliability and inconvenience of this vehicle. When the car broke down on a major highway last week, the dealership told us the vehicle was "confused", there was nothing wrong with it and we were good to go. Less than 48 hours later, on another highway, it broke down again.

Beautiful vehicle. Very comfortable seating. Handles well.

Unreliability and BMW's lack of concern with regard to these problems are a great disappointment. I think there are innate flaws with the internal components of this car.

No major complaints
By bla

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased car brand new - expected lots of issues, especially when I was reading reviews - to my surprise -- pretty reliable. Only had to replace battery because of a bad cell, could happen in any car.

Performance, bluetooth, awesome seats,

lots of electronics - not a lot of diagnostic tools - dealership is having difficulties serving these cars

Inshop 4 wks/yr; air conditioning
By UnhappyAZX5 owner

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

1. In shop currently, for acceleration failure (triple hesitation before going when you mash the gas) 2. Air conditioning repairs -- about 8 / 3 years. 3. Moonroof replacement -- dealership claims a child's kick entirely destroyed unit -- mighty fine workmanship, BMW. 4. My last BMW unless they figure out that customer service still pays, and its really more environmentally friendly to be 4X2 when 99.9% of X5 owners never leave the pavement (the 0.1% that do are back at the dealership within hours, no doubt).

Looks. Comfort access.

Quality control -- NONE. Get some. Air conditioning -- fix it. Dealership -- close it.