Used 2007 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Road Warrior
By Doug Johnson

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is the Ultimate Driving Machine in so many respects. I bought this car new in 2007 and still drive it today. It is a fine vehicle and enjoy driving from Southeast Louisiana to the Florida Gulf Coast. It is a dream to drive. The only negative elements thus far is that the touch coating on the steering wheel and on the console bubbled and pealed off. The dealership and BMW should have replaced it in my opinion. Just outside of the extended warranty the all wheel drive
on the right front failed. Fortunately I had purchased a second extended warranty from The Good Sams Club and after my deductable of $500.00 they paid out $1762.00. This was a major job for a failed gasket. Should not have happened at 115,000.00 miles in my opinion. The tailgate fold down plastic piece broke.
poor design with plastic rather than metal. Plastic doesn't hold up in southern heat.
All factors considered the best car that I have ever owned, hands down!

Huge dissapointment!
By Junbug1970

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this 07 truck used with 89k miles from a local Lexus dealer. It came with 3 months/3k miles warranty. I thought great! It made me confident that it would be a reliable car if the dealership warranty a used vehicles. First off, i love the way this car looks. I considered it cosmetically flawless for an 07 truck. Shines like a pretty penny. It came with 3rd row seats and 2nd row entertainment dvd center. I've owned 3 bmw sedans in the past and loved it. In the first 3 months I've noticed few things. Power steering was a bit heavy. 3rd row seat is extremely tight with leg room, but at least we have it. No spare tire with 3rd row option which was expected, but they dont even have a jack? Once the 3 months passed, the problems begins. It has been continuing issues after issues that never ends. I've owned this truck for a year now and put on less than 5k miles on it and it's time to get rid of it before it becomes more of a money pit. Something about the yaw control that makes the vehicle jerk during take off from a dead stop when the car is still cold in the first 30 mins of driving it. Passenger AC/heater vent motor grinds inside the dash when turning or making a right turn. Now the passenger climate control only blows warm air even when the AC is in full blast but the driver side blows cold. Air suspension deflates over night and you can hear the pump running when you first open the door to inflate it and level the rear of the car. Now it deflates after it sat for about 2-3 hours. Driver passenger LED tail light went out. No way to fix it, but replace the whole tail light assembly. Dvd navigations takes a long time to load and it gets really warm. Rear camera clarity is soo poor that at night it was unuseable. It started leaking oil. Came to find out, the head gasket needed to be replaced. While replacing the head gasket the brittle breather hose needed to be replace because it was guarantee to be broken when you have to take this hose out to remove the head gasket. It never ran the same since then. Rough idles when its cold for about 30 seconds then it was fine. Now the water pump is out and recommeded to replace the thermostat while its being fix. The water pump is plastic electric design and the thermostat is also enclosed in plastic housing assembly. And the location of the water pump and thermostat is impossible to get to that you have to remove the wheels and wheel well to give a little more room to get to it. $560 for the water pump, $170 for the thermostat, 3 magnesium mounting bolts that needed to be replaced and cannot be reused. And 3.5 hours of labor at $175/hour. Right stage two brake light keeps coming on, ive replaced all the bulbs and still comes on intermittently. Lastly, the truck goes to neutral from drive position when you just started moving from a complete stop in the middle of the street while the engine is still running. You cannot just throw it back into drive, you need to press the brake pedal, turn it off and restart the car to put it back in drive. It happened 3 to 4 times so far when my wife was driving it and was afraid that she would get rear ended cus other drivers doesn't know that your car just stopped in neutral position. HUGE SAFETY ISSUE! Called BMW and ofcourse you know the answer to this. This is the first time they are hearing about it when hundreds of others online experiencing the same problems with this safety issue. No oil dip stick. Computer monitors shows how much oil you have. No engine temp gauge unless you unlock certain computer codes to display it on your cluster gauge. Time to get rid of it before something else major needs fixing. Heres the good. Great looking truck! Easy do it your self oil change and filter. No issues with little problems all has been big jobs. Every features works with no issues like heated seats, power windows, mirrors and locks, sunroof and etc. So sad to get rid this beautiful truck, but i can't afford for the unknown with this much major problems with only less than 5k miles in a year.

Real lemon
By JH

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Every 3 months I had some major repair on my 2007 X5. I am getting rid of it as soon as possible. Be prepared for exhorbitant repair costs. However I will say that when it is on the road it does handle well.

Worst nightmare!!
By Bmw

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a 07 BMW X5 40i for 22k. On the first week of purchased, problems started. And, every week after until ever 3 months. I now have this vehicle for a year and have spent 12k out of pocket trying to fixed it. That's does not include additional 6k that's warranty paid. And just found out it has another problem which cost 4k to fixed. This car has cost me nothing but, pain and stress! I have not driven this vehicle for 2months without not going into the shop. I literally cry dealing with this piece of cabbage. I would advice ppl to stay away form
It. I no long need this car, because it's nothing but problems and still has to pay the bank monthly. Am stuck with a hefty loan and the car is of know use to me.

Worst vehicle we have ever owned
By craigwarden

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am a fairly affluent 55 year old. I have owned many vehicles in my time. From domestics to imports, this is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. Currently running about $2500 to $3500.00 per month in repairs. The dealer loves me. Now it has been sitting in our garage with a brake fluid leak of some sort and is unwilling to turn over at all. Every light on the dash is flashing. What a piece of Garbage. Never again will I own one, EVER!

The Moon Roof and the additional seating in the rear.

Too many needed to list