Used 2007 BMW X5 4.8i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.” Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.

We purchased the BMW based on its reputation for quality, and we paid much more for this vehicle than we would have for something like a Honda Odyssey or a Toyota Sienna. We were willing to pay more with the understanding that, during my long and frequent absences in the service of our country, my wife and family would have a reliable and safe vehicle. I feel this decision to purchase your product was a mistake, and one I never intend to repeat. The vehicle was only 6,000 miles outside of the 50,000 mile warranty, and yet none of the $1,781.31 invoice was covered by BMW – it was covered solely by my savings.

No major complaints
By bla

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased car brand new - expected lots of issues, especially when I was reading reviews - to my surprise -- pretty reliable. Only had to replace battery because of a bad cell, could happen in any car.

Performance, bluetooth, awesome seats,

lots of electronics - not a lot of diagnostic tools - dealership is having difficulties serving these cars

Worst SUV in History
By emcman

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Run from this SUV. Mine has been in the shop over 2 months. Two dead tow ins and two dead battery caused by electrical flaws. Poor customer support. It is March 12 and last time I drove it was Feb 8th. Been at dealer no end in sight. Now I have to sue them as they accept no responsibility. For $65000 get a good reliable auto. Not this.

Who knows it will not run long enough to find out.

At least as reliable as a Yugo please

Poor Reliability
By emcman

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Lots of power, great handling and lots of quality issues. In less than 36 months it has been in the shop a good 1.5 months. Two dead batteries caused by flawed electronics, non working air among other things. Completely dead twice so not a trust worthy car for a trip. Also issues take a long time to run down issues so it is out of service for a week or two at a time. This SUV is made in SC and not Germany and is far from reliable. When it dies it dies as everything is electronic. You need a special tool even to get it into neutral.

Power and handling

Reliable it is not.

BMW never again!!
By Alessandra

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the car with sport package including 20" wheels. Wished I've known then what I know now. Replace the rims several times($1,100 each or $275 to fix),once 3 were crack at the same time. If I run over a pothole for sure 1 rim will crack. In the city it's hard to avoid potholes when traffic is too close behind. Those rims have run flat tires,so NO spares,NO car until new rims arrive(about10-12 days). Now there is a problem with the battery,it gets "awaken" for no reason,which means battery is dead,so key is stuck,NOTHING works,had the car jumped and running would not get into gear. Pick up car today(1 week),left window was open during rain,left door & seat controls soaked including leather seat

speed,comfort,power.

Clock too small,hard to read. When updating software should update Ipod. Ipod interface not very practical,dashboard needs updating, seats dont go back or up enough,hard for someone with long legs to be comfortable. Control to open garage has very little range compare to old Range Rover & Mercedes