2007 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230 on 09/16/11 11:20 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.” Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.

No major complaints
By bla on 05/13/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased car brand new - expected lots of issues, especially when I was reading reviews - to my surprise -- pretty reliable. Only had to replace battery because of a bad cell, could happen in any car.

Worst SUV in History
By emcman on 03/11/10 20:34 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Run from this SUV. Mine has been in the shop over 2 months. Two dead tow ins and two dead battery caused by electrical flaws. Poor customer support. It is March 12 and last time I drove it was Feb 8th. Been at dealer no end in sight. Now I have to sue them as they accept no responsibility. For $65000 get a good reliable auto. Not this.

Poor Reliability
By emcman on 02/22/10 08:15 AM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Lots of power, great handling and lots of quality issues. In less than 36 months it has been in the shop a good 1.5 months. Two dead batteries caused by flawed electronics, non working air among other things. Completely dead twice so not a trust worthy car for a trip. Also issues take a long time to run down issues so it is out of service for a week or two at a time. This SUV is made in SC and not Germany and is far from reliable. When it dies it dies as everything is electronic. You need a special tool even to get it into neutral.

BMW never again!!
By Alessandra on 01/13/10 14:11 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Bought the car with sport package including 20" wheels. Wished I've known then what I know now. Replace the rims several times($1,100 each or $275 to fix),once 3 were crack at the same time. If I run over a pothole for sure 1 rim will crack. In the city it's hard to avoid potholes when traffic is too close behind. Those rims have run flat tires,so NO spares,NO car until new rims arrive(about10-12 days). Now there is a problem with the battery,it gets "awaken" for no reason,which means battery is dead,so key is stuck,NOTHING works,had the car jumped and running would not get into gear. Pick up car today(1 week),left window was open during rain,left door & seat controls soaked including leather seat

Great Car
By RM on 11/19/09 15:00 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I love my BMW, great car, lots of power, best at taking turns at high speed. I don't know any other SUV like this one out there. I had X5 3.0 before and 4.8 doesn't compare - it is in a different league with the power and the sound of engine. I think its stick shift is the best, iDrive works fine, not sure what others referring to, all need my car to do is play a CD :). Bottom line - great core NOTHING compares, it is made for the driver. I do have side boards and I love them, yes, for short people hard to get out but I am tall and have no problem, it is actually funny when short dudes complain how difficult to get out... Love the car - it was made for me! :)

I'm saying goodbye to BMW after 20 years
By Former BMW Customer on 09/06/09 01:19 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My 2007 X5 has been nothing but a nightmare and the worse vehicle I have ever owned. I've owned many new BMWs (3, 5, and two 7 series) but my X5 is a completely different experience. It is a loser, a huge disappointment in terms of quality control, problems, but the worse part is how BMW has handled the issue - which is VERY poorly. X5 was in for recurring service issues 2+ months in 1st 2 years for a series of false engine warning lights, Ele issues, rear hatch door problems, and cosmoline that drips onto glass/paint. No support from BMW. Had to retain attorney as BMW NA could care less. BMW NA Execs clearly more concerned with their stock options than long term customers. Bye bye BMW!

The best car I've ever owned
By DaTB on 05/10/09 01:36 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I need to preface this by stating that my previous car was a 2002 745i, so I can handle anything gremlins can throw at me. So those individuals complaining about a few service issues are just whiners to me. So let's get to the heart of this. This car is a beast: It growls and snarls with the ferocity of a caged dragon. It throws you back into your seat and gives you butterflies in your stomach yet acts with the utmost refinement when traffics forbids its potency. The way its sport mode flies through its rpm bandwidth is breathtaking. It does everything extraordinarily & nothing mediocre. Its technology is prolific so glitches are par for the course. Drive one; it is truly beauty and the beast.

No start
By no start on 01/08/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Great riding car. Great design. Terrible starting problems. Have had 4 random no start situation. Two in garage, but two out on roads where tow truck was needed. Car has been in shop 8 days with this problem and have not been able to find problem to date. Scary, as you don't know when it will not start. Am getting rid of car now and will buy a Lexus for dependability. I have been a BMW owner for last 20 years. They have over the teched the car. Was told it has over 50 computers in it. Problem is, how many work properly. Do not buy.

BMW X5 vs MB GL450
By John S. on 01/29/08 05:05 AM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

The X5 with the V8 has nice acceleration and a throaty growl. The ride is noticeably harsher than our MB GL450 and neither really exhibits excessive body roll. On worn highways I often try to drive to the side to get a smoother ride. I really regret getting the side aluminum running boards, they make it much more difficult to get in and out. While many reviews say the iDrive is easy to learn, I sure wish BMW would add more dedicated buttons. The GL450 is much easier to use to access the map, radio, etc.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.