Used 2007 BMW X5 3.0si SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2007 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Worst vehicle we have ever owned
By craigwarden

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I am a fairly affluent 55 year old. I have owned many vehicles in my time. From domestics to imports, this is the absolute worst vehicle I have ever owned. Currently running about $2500 to $3500.00 per month in repairs. The dealer loves me. Now it has been sitting in our garage with a brake fluid leak of some sort and is unwilling to turn over at all. Every light on the dash is flashing. What a piece of Garbage. Never again will I own one, EVER!

Favorite Features

The Moon Roof and the additional seating in the rear.

Suggested Improvements

Too many needed to list

Reliability Problems All Around
By mcclsha

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Absolutely love my X5. However, I cannot hold myself to loving something that costs me $1,500 every time it goes into the shop. From having the VANOS solenoids replaced, the alternator, the oil reservoir, and the water pump. The transmission seems to be going out and my panoramic sunroof no longer works. I purchased last year used for $27k. Words of advise, if you purchase and X5, buy the warranty, and get rid of it when the warranty expires. I'm thinking of moving into a Range Rover Sport.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, comfort, heated steering wheel, heated seats, push button start.

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to boost the reliability and overall qualify of the vehicle. It is a luxury piece of junk.

Very Disappointed - Definitely not worth the money
By mobettuh

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a used 2007 BMW X5 less than 1 year ago. This is my FIRST luxury vehicle & I've always heard GREAT reviews about BMW. Within my first year of ownership, I have spent numerous hours in the BMW Service Department having MAJOR repairs done to this vehicle. They have replaced the transmission, the radiator, solenoid valve twice, latch on 3rd seat broke off completely, brake fluid flush, and I'm heading back into the service department this week bcuz the CEL is on again for the 3rd time in 7 weeks. I'm extremely disappointed & would not recommend this vehicle (or any BMW) for purchase. Not the QUALITY that I thought I was getting for my money.

Favorite Features

My favorite feature is that it's "cute" on the outside. BMW service department staff is very nice, but I see them much too often for me to be driving what is supposed to be one of the most reliable and luxurious vehicles on the market.

Suggested Improvements

Quality is not living up to the BMW Brand

Junk! Never again BMW. Just lost another customer
By jas74

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

BMW used to be the signature of performance and reliability. Today at BMW it is all about profits, gone are the days where you could drive your bimmer 100k with no problems. This is our second X5 in two years, as we thought our first was just a one off lemon. Let me warn you! If you own one of these trucks be prepared to fix it. I don't mean when it hits 100k. I mean 50, 60k! This last experience sent us over the edge as telescoping wheel motors failed and the tail lamp malfunction was reported on the computer and BMW said $150.00 to replace just the light and over a grand for the steering wheel motors Whatever I said and traded it in. Do yourself a favor a buy a Infiniti or Lexus!

Favorite Features

Handling and style

Suggested Improvements

Reliability for minor parts to last longer. BMW is losing mid-high end customers due to poor quality parts and lack of addressing issues.

Falls apart after 50k Miles!
By alcapitalist

2007 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

There were bugs the first year or two but the dealer would provide a loaner so it was not a problem. The dealership staff was courteous and helpful. The problems really started after 50k miles. I missed a flight when the electrical system went haywire. Turns out, it did not like syncing with my phone. So no bluetooth phone to car now. Then around 60k my radiator went out (>$1k to fix). 71k my water pump, solenoid valve, hood shocks (never remember them working) and hood latch replaced ($2,291). Went out on road full of curves and hills but vehicle won't let you drive it if it thinks something is wrong. Very dangerous situation resulted. Had to sit on steep angle side of road.

Favorite Features

I paid for and ordered the vehicle in December of 2006 with the features I wanted. It was delivered in Feb 2007. I truly enjoyed my vehicle so long as it was in warranty. Comfortable, great all wheel drive and handling. Excellent performance.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and not trapping the driver in a dangerous situation. Vehicle will not let you drive more than a few feet when certain error codes occurs. Drive disengaged on curvy 2 lane highway heavily traveled by logging trucks. Gas Mileage on sticker is optimistic. I accepted the radiator as a fluke. German Engineering right? But after this last incident, I am convinced the parts used are not of sufficient quality either by design, or incompetence. My friends who own the Lexus, Infinity and Acura SUV's don't have these problems. And yes, I had all recommended maintenance completed and still do.