2007 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Reliability Problems All Around
By mcclsha on 02/14/14 20:52 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Absolutely love my X5. However, I cannot hold myself to loving something that costs me $1,500 every time it goes into the shop. From having the VANOS solenoids replaced, the alternator, the oil reservoir, and the water pump. The transmission seems to be going out and my panoramic sunroof no longer works. I purchased last year used for $27k. Words of advise, if you purchase and X5, buy the warranty, and get rid of it when the warranty expires. I'm thinking of moving into a Range Rover Sport.

Very Disappointed - Definitely not worth the money
By mobettuh on 02/25/13 08:29 AM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I purchased a used 2007 BMW X5 less than 1 year ago. This is my FIRST luxury vehicle & I've always heard GREAT reviews about BMW. Within my first year of ownership, I have spent numerous hours in the BMW Service Department having MAJOR repairs done to this vehicle. They have replaced the transmission, the radiator, solenoid valve twice, latch on 3rd seat broke off completely, brake fluid flush, and I'm heading back into the service department this week bcuz the CEL is on again for the 3rd time in 7 weeks. I'm extremely disappointed & would not recommend this vehicle (or any BMW) for purchase. Not the QUALITY that I thought I was getting for my money.

Junk! Never again BMW. Just lost another customer
By jas74 on 07/15/12 06:48 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

BMW used to be the signature of performance and reliability. Today at BMW it is all about profits, gone are the days where you could drive your bimmer 100k with no problems. This is our second X5 in two years, as we thought our first was just a one off lemon. Let me warn you! If you own one of these trucks be prepared to fix it. I don't mean when it hits 100k. I mean 50, 60k! This last experience sent us over the edge as telescoping wheel motors failed and the tail lamp malfunction was reported on the computer and BMW said $150.00 to replace just the light and over a grand for the steering wheel motors Whatever I said and traded it in. Do yourself a favor a buy a Infiniti or Lexus!

Falls apart after 50k Miles!
By alcapitalist on 02/05/12 12:14 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

There were bugs the first year or two but the dealer would provide a loaner so it was not a problem. The dealership staff was courteous and helpful. The problems really started after 50k miles. I missed a flight when the electrical system went haywire. Turns out, it did not like syncing with my phone. So no bluetooth phone to car now. Then around 60k my radiator went out (>$1k to fix). 71k my water pump, solenoid valve, hood shocks (never remember them working) and hood latch replaced ($2,291). Went out on road full of curves and hills but vehicle won't let you drive it if it thinks something is wrong. Very dangerous situation resulted. Had to sit on steep angle side of road.

Total Electrical Meltdown, 2007 BMW X5
By james230 on 09/16/11 11:20 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

On 13 July, 2011, with only 56,201 miles, our BMW X5 suffered what an independent BMW auto repair shop later diagnosed as a “total electrical meltdown involving almost all powertrain components and data bus system.” Symptoms upon startup that morning included a Level Control System malfunction light, a Transmission malfunction warning, a Parking Brake malfunction warning, a Passenger Restraint malfunction warning, an All-Wheel Drive, DSC, ABS, and Emergency ABV malfunction warning, as well as rapid windshield wiper movement and an intermittent engine start button.

Major Disappointment
By CJ on 06/14/10 11:30 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

After owning a Landcruiser, we were ready for something a bit smaller, with better fuel economy. The X5 is a beautiful car and a dream to drive unless it's in the shop. Between 'check engine' lights and 'computer updates', we will sell this car as soon as it is out of the shop - for the 5th time this year alone. Even if we could afford the price tag of our almost monthly visits to BMW, we cannot afford the unreliability and inconvenience of this vehicle. When the car broke down on a major highway last week, the dealership told us the vehicle was "confused", there was nothing wrong with it and we were good to go. Less than 48 hours later, on another highway, it broke down again.

No major complaints
By bla on 05/13/10 20:44 PM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased car brand new - expected lots of issues, especially when I was reading reviews - to my surprise -- pretty reliable. Only had to replace battery because of a bad cell, could happen in any car.

Inshop 4 wks/yr; air conditioning
By UnhappyAZX5 owner on 04/20/10 06:56 AM (PDT)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

1. In shop currently, for acceleration failure (triple hesitation before going when you mash the gas) 2. Air conditioning repairs -- about 8 / 3 years. 3. Moonroof replacement -- dealership claims a child's kick entirely destroyed unit -- mighty fine workmanship, BMW. 4. My last BMW unless they figure out that customer service still pays, and its really more environmentally friendly to be 4X2 when 99.9% of X5 owners never leave the pavement (the 0.1% that do are back at the dealership within hours, no doubt).

Worst SUV in History
By emcman on 03/11/10 20:34 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

Run from this SUV. Mine has been in the shop over 2 months. Two dead tow ins and two dead battery caused by electrical flaws. Poor customer support. It is March 12 and last time I drove it was Feb 8th. Been at dealer no end in sight. Now I have to sue them as they accept no responsibility. For $65000 get a good reliable auto. Not this.

battery problem
By oddles on 03/10/10 13:26 PM (PST)

2007 BMW X5 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2007 x5, ever since we purchase this vehicle, we had problems with the engine lights which the dealership told us is the battery problem, it has took them several times to fix the part for the battery but still having problem with battery draining either low or high. Since having the vehicle for less than 2 years, we must have gone to BMW for service no less than 10 times for problem such as peeling leather, broken front venting knobs, falling door panels, unworkable menu buttons and more. Will never buy another BMW vehicle in my life ever again

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.