Used 2006 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

My Baby
By Ben

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the car since new. It comes with Premium, Sport, Rear Climate Packages. It is a 10/05 production. I have enjoyed the premium package with the great leather and the rear shades are great! But the sport package is great when on smooth roads only when on rough roads, it gets a little bumpy. But nonetheless, I do like the self leveling suspension and air shocks that come with that. I have not had to fix anything just regular oil changes all covered under warranty, for the first four years. Now it is out of warranty and had to replace the thermostat. Not too bad knock on wood. But overall I love driving it!

Favorite Features

The panoramic sun/moon roof, Leather seats, Rear shades, Clamshell hatch, Xenon headlamps, flashlight in glovebox, On-board computer (though a little outdated), auto climate,and Xdrive I guess everything.

Suggested Improvements

On board computer can be a little more advanced, though the new idrive system is not all that, Navi could be touch screen and voice activated, Needs to have cd changer in front. I guess the newer models took care of some of the improvements though, it now feels like a soccer mom car.

BMW 2006 X5
By Jason Hoppa

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Best vehicle that I have ever owned. We now have 2 BMW's. Very reliable and great in any weather.

Favorite Features

x drive and panoramic roof

Suggested Improvements

wheels could be styled better

No regrets so far...
By Ralph Whitsitt

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Got a great deal on an '06 X5 and took the plunge purchasing my first BMW. It's amazing how smooth and quiet the vehicle is at highway speeds compared to the Ford Explorer and Jeep Cherokee I owned previously. Granted, the tires probably have a lot to do with that, but engine and wind noise are way lower too. Love the grunt that the 3.0 inline six delivers--it loves to rev!! I was a little concerned about the gas mileage, but it's been a big improvement over the Explorer, getting 23 or 24 mpg for pure highway driving. Premium unleaded can get a bit expensive when prices are up and synthetic oil drives up the cost of oil changes, but so far I'm dealing with it and loving the way it drives!

Favorite Features

Heated seats and heated steering wheel-- love 'em, love 'em, love 'em!! Materials used seem to be of high quality throughout the vehicle. Drives and rides great!

Suggested Improvements

Cargo capacity is compromised by the shape of the hatch. Lots and lots of brake dust means cleaning the wheels frequently. Large pillars make for large blind spots when driving. Flip down sun visors are kind of cheaply made compared to the rest of the vehicle and don't swing fully to the side.

The best car yet...
By samsam

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Recently purchase CPO with only 28K on it. Absolutely love it. You can't beat BMW CPO - they had the car ready in mint condition, the warranty is excellent, and I still have over 20K left on included maintenance and 0.9% financing (unheard of for CPO!). The X5 handles like a dream and I personally think this model is better looking than the redesign in 2007. The interior is top notch and the power seems way stronger than the HP rating - that speaks to great engineering. No rattles, solid like a tank. I'm actually getting up to 26mpg on highway trips and 18mpg average overall.

Favorite Features

The best thing about this car is that it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it - something I didn't get with my last Acura.

Suggested Improvements

The blower seems to stay on pretty high even when the temp is reached on auto climate control. A lot of brake dust, but not really big deals.

2006 BMW X5 4.4 CPO
By Steve

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This X5 has been great so far. Had 26,500 miles on it fully loaded. Absolutely pristine condition inside and out. Excellent driving on winding roads and certainly plenty of power for the freeways. Gas mileage could be better so still getting used to that. Only design flaw I find is the Navigation unit and its location for glare and the cup holders. Both were rectified in the 2007 but getting this for $35K I consider a good deal versus pricing of new models.

Favorite Features

I like the whole X5 experience. Everything has been good.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of navigation/radio unit, Ipod adapter should have been included and cup holders redesigned.