Used 2006 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Wish i can return it!
By arcellie

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

It's my first BMW, i was excited at first to drive it but when it reached its 38,000 miles it gave me a lot of trouble, engine wouldn't start at all. Dealer changed the alternator and battery. Every time I drive this car I'm nervous because it might cause trouble again. NO DOUBT it happened again today after 5 months with 43,000 miles, the car stop at the road during winter time while I'm driving, unable to start it, tried multiple times, battery is totally dead and it has to be towed again in the dealership. This is my only car and I used it for work, I'm totally upset about its inconvenience! I wish I can return this car to BMW, it's a lemon car!

Leather seats

Better alternator, battery and computer for the engine. I hope this car will have a recall.

Awesome "SAV"
By Bob Wallace

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I love every bit of it, now I know why BMW is called the Ultimate Driving Machine. The styling is pure BMW. The ride is smooth as silk, the seats are comfortable, and the overall quality is outstanding. My only dislike is the CD changer located in the rear due to the optional navigation system. Something prospective buyers need to keep in mind, the X5 is not a soft, plush luxury SUV, it is a sporty SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle), that means a stiffer/sportier ride. I think the 3.0 acceleration is pretty good, but if you want faster acceleration, opt for the 4.4 or 4.8. Also, the X5 is a mid- size SAV, if you want lots of cargo space opt for a larger vehicle.

The heated leather seats & steering wheel, the panoramic moon roof, the bluetooth, the smooth shifting and the split tailgate. I'm also impressed with the fuel economy for a vehicle this heavy, I'm getting 20-23 mpg.

Automatic annual updates for the navigation system. Premium sound as a standard vs. optional. In-dash CD changer w/ nav. system.

Not too bad, but would not buy again
By Rob

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I decided to write my review after owning the vehicle for 2 years. It is a lease, and we are due to turn it in in 5 days. So here goes. First, my likes. This is my 3rd BMW, and of all the BMWs I've owned, I have to say this one has been the most reliable. We have had virtually no issues at all with the car, unlike my last BMWs. The only real problem we have had with the car in the 2 years, is that the driver's side exterior mirror glass is tarnishing badly, and needs to get replaced. Things I don't like. Let me tell you, if you have kids, do NOT buy this car. It is way too small and short wheelbased for a comfortable family car. Rides too stiff and seats too hard.

Good reliability. COLD A/C system. Sports car handling.

Rear seat room is a joke. Too small for a family with small kids. Cargo space is a joke, need more. Make seats more comfortable. Like a rock on long drives. Give it more standard features. For 50k, it is stripped. Rides too firm for a comfy cruise.

My Best Friend Car
By HorseMobile

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely LOVE this car. It is my third BMW ('94 318 sedan; '04 325ci convertible preceded it). This is the best vehicle I've had and made me know I must always drive a BMW. It gets 23 mpg on the highway, loads my Labrador in the back seat and all of my horse equipment for foxhunting (saddle, bridle, horse blankets, riding gear, etc.) AND it pulls my extremely large Thoroughbred/Clydesdale cross in a 2 horse trailer. This is a 6 cylinder engine we're talking about. Then it cleans up and is the handsomest car in the group and extremely prideworthy to either arrive at a cocktail party or to my job as a lawyer in the city. The car is the best. May it live forever! I LOVE IT!

Interior design is tight, beautiful leather seats, typical BMW feel - sporty and total first class.

Better Bluetooth and XM radio. The paint job should be better. Gee, it really was hard to think this up.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By V

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We LOVE this car! When we first bought it, I was creating errands and reasons to drive! Two years later, I still get excited every time I get into it! Our teenagers and toddler are all comfortable in the backseat as well! We've packed and moved things one would hardly believe! It even tows our 26 foot sailboat! This is a purchase we'll never regret other than we'd like the optional 7 seats. A trade in may be in the near future! A repeat buy is a sure way to define exceptional quality and experiences!

We love the handling and overall smooth ride. The seats are comfortable and we all have plenty of room - even on long trips.

I want the 7 seats but honestly wouldn't use it that often other than when company is in town. Having the option is appealing to us. The only other thing that I want on the car is a compass! Why isn't there a compass? :- )