Used 2006 BMW X5 4.4i SUV Consumer Reviews - 20 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Bought Used
By Kyle Z

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

Love the engine and the exterior/interior looks of the car.

Sound system can use some improvement (I do not have DSP).

2006 BMW X5 4.4 CPO
By Steve

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This X5 has been great so far. Had 26,500 miles on it fully loaded. Absolutely pristine condition inside and out. Excellent driving on winding roads and certainly plenty of power for the freeways. Gas mileage could be better so still getting used to that. Only design flaw I find is the Navigation unit and its location for glare and the cup holders. Both were rectified in the 2007 but getting this for $35K I consider a good deal versus pricing of new models.

I like the whole X5 experience. Everything has been good.

Placement of navigation/radio unit, Ipod adapter should have been included and cup holders redesigned.

2006 X5 4.4
By Rick

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leased the beast for 36mo with 3 months remaining. Prior SUV was the Infiniti FX45...X5 is superior in all aspects. No pops, leaks, squeaks or rattles...not one repair. Still drives like new. A perfect all around SUV that performed very well on our icy mountain roads. Average 18mpg. I hope to buyout this X5 at lease end.

Heated steering wheel, X drive.

2007 model took care of any shortcomings.

Everything BMW does well and poorly
By Pleasanton

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had the following items serviced since I have owned the vehicle - valley pan, panoramic moonroof, and AC headunit. All items were covered under warranty. The interior personal space is extremely generous. The door openings are large and make getting small children in and out of car seats very easy. Rear cargo area is somewhat limited as a result however. I do like the clamshell hatch. Driving this vehicle is so much fun. It handles like a sedan and has plenty of power. It puts a smile on my face every time I get in. The styling is timeless, subtle but distinctive, I love it. The CPO warty, extd service, BMW 2 payments, and 0.9% financing made this a very attractive purchase.

4.4L V8, Handling, Panoramic moonroof, Styling, 19" sport wheels, Exhaust note, Clamshell hatch, BMW service, extended warranty. Driving experience!

Eliminate the tape player w/ Navigation, Move the CD changer up to the front, Eliminate the redundant hot cold dial and dual temperature zone controls. Improve fuel economy (not bad, not great 17mpg).

BMW X5 4.4
By AFGSKY

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Terrific vehicle, just love the way that it grips the road. The seating position and all of the gauges, and instruments are perfectly located.

The comfort seats perfectly contour to your personal settings and are really supportive on a long drive.