2006 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
Awesome "SAV"
By Bob Wallace on 01/11/09 19:21 PM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I love every bit of it, now I know why BMW is called the Ultimate Driving Machine. The styling is pure BMW. The ride is smooth as silk, the seats are comfortable, and the overall quality is outstanding. My only dislike is the CD changer located in the rear due to the optional navigation system. Something prospective buyers need to keep in mind, the X5 is not a soft, plush luxury SUV, it is a sporty SAV (Sport Activity Vehicle), that means a stiffer/sportier ride. I think the 3.0 acceleration is pretty good, but if you want faster acceleration, opt for the 4.4 or 4.8. Also, the X5 is a mid- size SAV, if you want lots of cargo space opt for a larger vehicle.

Not too bad, but would not buy again
By Rob on 07/17/08 11:26 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Well, I decided to write my review after owning the vehicle for 2 years. It is a lease, and we are due to turn it in in 5 days. So here goes. First, my likes. This is my 3rd BMW, and of all the BMWs I've owned, I have to say this one has been the most reliable. We have had virtually no issues at all with the car, unlike my last BMWs. The only real problem we have had with the car in the 2 years, is that the driver's side exterior mirror glass is tarnishing badly, and needs to get replaced. Things I don't like. Let me tell you, if you have kids, do NOT buy this car. It is way too small and short wheelbased for a comfortable family car. Rides too stiff and seats too hard.

My Best Friend Car
By HorseMobile on 06/23/08 18:44 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I absolutely LOVE this car. It is my third BMW ('94 318 sedan; '04 325ci convertible preceded it). This is the best vehicle I've had and made me know I must always drive a BMW. It gets 23 mpg on the highway, loads my Labrador in the back seat and all of my horse equipment for foxhunting (saddle, bridle, horse blankets, riding gear, etc.) AND it pulls my extremely large Thoroughbred/Clydesdale cross in a 2 horse trailer. This is a 6 cylinder engine we're talking about. Then it cleans up and is the handsomest car in the group and extremely prideworthy to either arrive at a cocktail party or to my job as a lawyer in the city. The car is the best. May it live forever! I LOVE IT!

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By V on 12/28/07 08:35 AM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We LOVE this car! When we first bought it, I was creating errands and reasons to drive! Two years later, I still get excited every time I get into it! Our teenagers and toddler are all comfortable in the backseat as well! We've packed and moved things one would hardly believe! It even tows our 26 foot sailboat! This is a purchase we'll never regret other than we'd like the optional 7 seats. A trade in may be in the near future! A repeat buy is a sure way to define exceptional quality and experiences!

Great Overall, But...
By SusanLW on 09/19/07 10:21 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our 3rd BMW; we've owned the 325i and 525i as well. This car handles beautifully and I feel very safe in it. It is a joy to drive and is extremely comfortable, especially on long trips. That being said, BMW really dropped the ball on the interior design. What kind of car only offers a cassette player in-dash with a navigation system? The only way I could get a CD system was to put it in the cargo area - doesn't work for me at all. Also, the radio doesn't seem to pick up our area's signals too well, no matter what the settings are. The nav system is not great, BMW gave me an outdated CD at time of purchase - having problems getting replacement. Probably won't buy this one again.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By MelissaC398 on 04/22/07 09:29 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I really like this vehicle. It handles well, comfortable ride, great sound system, and lots of extra goodies. Fuel efficiency is not the best 14.8 around town but considering the V6, it's not bad. The only thing is the narrowness of the front windshield. Creates a blindspot when going around curves. Also, the back window does not open at all. MINOR items considering the overall performance, handling, and satisfaction of this ride!!

A joy to own
By Leon Biren on 12/22/06 21:49 PM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is our second X5 (2003) which we loved and kept in the family. The 2006 is even better with tighter steering, an improved rear gate and a navigation system.

Still The Ultimate Driving Machine
By auctioneer on 10/17/06 11:12 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Even though this vehicle is an SUV, it is still a great driving and great handling vehicle. Like all German made cars, this one is no different, over-engineered in every aspect mechanically. That being said however, some driver conveniences are overlooked in the process. Many cabin and driver functions are overly complex. The panoramic moon roof is awesome, but it does not close automatically when you turn off the ignition. The windshield washer always washes the headlights as well. Many controls are hard to find while driving, which causes you to take your eyes off the road. Brake dust is a BMW trait, and the wheels are very hard to keep clean. It's still a BMW and gets lots of oohs and ahhs

Nice ride
By LuckyLady on 10/12/06 07:07 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Overall, this is a great SUV.

3rd row seat coming
By Doug on 08/17/06 18:16 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

We just bought a 2006 X5. Looked at others in this class. One of the most important reasons we decided on the BMW was the missing 3rd row seat. They are virtually inaccesible in the other SUVs we looked at. I know people want this 3rd. seat, but be realistic, they are worthless for humans older than 6. If BMW had this seat, we would have gotten an Audi A6.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.