2006 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW lover no more
By 2cents2 on 01/17/14 19:48 PM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 328is which was a truly great car. This led me to believe that buying a used 2006 X5 4.4i with very low mileage was a safe bet. Wrong. We have owned it for 18 months - and had non-stop troubles - expense - and time wasted at the shop. The latest - It has taken BMW 8 months and 5 trips to the dealer to determine what is causing the coolant leak we have. We still aren't 100% sure - but now they think the heads will need to be replaced - or perhaps the entire engine. $25K wasted on this vehicle. I'll never buy BMW again. The ultimate driving machine - for driving to the shop.

[non-permissible content removed]
By natethegreat2 on 05/27/13 21:22 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, when it works. It's beautiful, sounds great, fast, has a ton of features, but if its over 100k miles prepare to repair, paying all along the way. Since I've bought this mean machine, I've had to fix it, not once, not twice, not thrice, but EVERY week since I bought it (I've had it six months.) Every week, like German clockwork (if the clocks were designed to break) I've had to build and rebuild this car. Head gasket, exterior door handle, side lights, interior door handle, head lights, cv joints, alternator bracket gasket (didn't even know there was such a thing) window regulator, just so many things one thing right after another. Don't buy one without a warranty

Bought Used
By Kyle Z on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

2006 BMW X5 4.4 CPO
By Steve on 07/29/09 20:25 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This X5 has been great so far. Had 26,500 miles on it fully loaded. Absolutely pristine condition inside and out. Excellent driving on winding roads and certainly plenty of power for the freeways. Gas mileage could be better so still getting used to that. Only design flaw I find is the Navigation unit and its location for glare and the cup holders. Both were rectified in the 2007 but getting this for $35K I consider a good deal versus pricing of new models.

2006 X5 4.4
By Rick on 07/13/09 17:55 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leased the beast for 36mo with 3 months remaining. Prior SUV was the Infiniti FX45...X5 is superior in all aspects. No pops, leaks, squeaks or rattles...not one repair. Still drives like new. A perfect all around SUV that performed very well on our icy mountain roads. Average 18mpg. I hope to buyout this X5 at lease end.

Everything BMW does well and poorly
By Pleasanton on 05/25/09 23:41 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I have had the following items serviced since I have owned the vehicle - valley pan, panoramic moonroof, and AC headunit. All items were covered under warranty. The interior personal space is extremely generous. The door openings are large and make getting small children in and out of car seats very easy. Rear cargo area is somewhat limited as a result however. I do like the clamshell hatch. Driving this vehicle is so much fun. It handles like a sedan and has plenty of power. It puts a smile on my face every time I get in. The styling is timeless, subtle but distinctive, I love it. The CPO warty, extd service, BMW 2 payments, and 0.9% financing made this a very attractive purchase.

BMW X5 4.4
By AFGSKY on 12/12/06 09:16 AM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Terrific vehicle, just love the way that it grips the road. The seating position and all of the gauges, and instruments are perfectly located.

On cloud nine!
By Maggie on 10/06/06 13:59 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

After 6 months of research, I finally decided on the 4.4 X5. I am soo happy with my decision. I really feel the X5 is the top. I was driving a 2004 Grand Cherokee, and it can not even compare, except for I can no longer go 4- wheeling on the beach. On the highway it handles just like the 530 and is quicker.

I love my new X5!
By Jim on 08/28/06 12:20 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I love the looks of the body shape, love the sporty wheels available, love the navigation system, and love the power of the 4.4 liter engine. Whatta beast! When you say MOVE, it MOVES!

Is this really a BMW
By Jack Bruce on 05/31/06 10:42 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This 06 X-5 was a replacement for a "Lemon" 05 of exact color, type and equipment,I think they just swapped plates on the vehicle. The 05 had a bad transmission and sunroof both of which were finally replaced after five months of disgusting arguments. The 06 still had the same problems, those being transmission that didn't know what gear it wanted to be in and a sunroof that leaked and would not close as it was designed to. I have owned seven BMWs and generally thought they were some of the best cars built, this was also my third X-5, but definitely my last. I could go on and on with the problems but there is not enough room in this review. Stay away from this vehicle it is not worth it.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.