Used 2006 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2006 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Unreliable and horrific repair costs.
By Lisa Davis

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I certainly get the fun to drive and German engineering concept. It is. Other than that, the experience has been nothing short of pathetic. I just don't know how BMW can build a car this poorly. Read the blogs because there is so much common ground with what you can expect. Fan clutch, gasket failure, window regulators, taillight failure, door handles, , etc... It just never stops. To make matters worse, BMW built this car for 6 years and never addressed these problems. I will never take this car on a trip for fear that Ill be stranded and stuck paying thousands to get it running. Cant wait to unload it. Bad company and bad car. Don't buy.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering without attention to quality is horrendous.

BMW lover no more
By 2cents2

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 328is which was a truly great car. This led me to believe that buying a used 2006 X5 4.4i with very low mileage was a safe bet. Wrong. We have owned it for 18 months - and had non-stop troubles - expense - and time wasted at the shop. The latest - It has taken BMW 8 months and 5 trips to the dealer to determine what is causing the coolant leak we have. We still aren't 100% sure - but now they think the heads will need to be replaced - or perhaps the entire engine. $25K wasted on this vehicle. I'll never buy BMW again. The ultimate driving machine - for driving to the shop.

Favorite Features

ride is great for an suv

Suggested Improvements

Maybe BMW should get a Japanese company to design their engines for them.

[non-permissible content removed]
By natethegreat2

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, when it works. It's beautiful, sounds great, fast, has a ton of features, but if its over 100k miles prepare to repair, paying all along the way. Since I've bought this mean machine, I've had to fix it, not once, not twice, not thrice, but EVERY week since I bought it (I've had it six months.) Every week, like German clockwork (if the clocks were designed to break) I've had to build and rebuild this car. Head gasket, exterior door handle, side lights, interior door handle, head lights, cv joints, alternator bracket gasket (didn't even know there was such a thing) window regulator, just so many things one thing right after another. Don't buy one without a warranty

Favorite Features

Exhaust rumble. By far.

Suggested Improvements

Don't let the german engineers lay awake at night, thinking up new ways to make repairs on this car a nightmare. everything is insanely hard to get to, you have to let mechanics do it.

very intriguing sav
By minghi

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased it exactly 15 months ago as a cpo with the 6yr/100k warranty but hardly ever needed it during the 30k i put on it. very few things have gone wrong like a minor rattle from the engine bay turning out to be a/c fan plastic clips and failed driver side window switch after i left it open in rain by mistake (my fault). dealer fixed both, no questions asked. other than that, its been excellent & trouble free and i've taken it on numerous long trips since i owned it. the interior comfort and materials fit & finish is top notch and exterior looks good too. I've the 3.0i which has excellent low end torque (take off) but OK highway torque (you need to step up to the bigger v8s for better)

Favorite Features

i've the factory base model, no options other than auto transmission. i really didn't care for options as i need reliability more than anything else (i drove a 07 toyota prius before this and couldn't stand it anymore (boring)- but then it was 100% reliable for the 2yr/60k miles i owned it - i never ever took it to a dealer for anything other than oil changes) and i'm very happy to say that this cpo'd x5 has been super reliable too. I avoided the bigger v8s since i used to have a few bmw 7-ser v8s (2005/2008/2003) and there was always something wrong with the engines in them. Also, if you plan to get any bmw cpo, check the service records & certification report just to make sure they add up

Suggested Improvements

lol, nothing can be improved now since its last year was '06 but i wish it had more trunk space and oh, the stock stereo/speakers sound like crap. maybe germans don't care about listening to music on the way to work but we do. i'll try getting the speakers changed sometime.

Bought Used
By Kyle Z

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

Favorite Features

Love the engine and the exterior/interior looks of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system can use some improvement (I do not have DSP).