Used 2006 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

terrible never buy.
By bruce

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I recently bought this car. Engine service soon light make me crazy. Spend more than 3000$
Still light on.
crazy maintenance cost. Never recommend.

Only paid $4500 for it
By The educated consumer

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Purchased my 06 X5 5 months ago from an online seller for $4500 (one of those car lot dealers would've tried to charge me $8000) it came with 160,000 miles. Didn't want to buy a new BMW but wanted the BMW experience and this was the perfect vehicle for me. Recently spent $1150 on front end work and now the car drives even smoother. Next up is the valve cover that needs to be replaced....read a few recent reviews before purchasing my 06 X5 and the one thing I kept reading is the ridiculously HIGH prices ppl paid for 9, 10, 11 even 12 year old X5's and when the SUV needed repairs they had no more money left due to the insane price they originally paid for their X5. My advice DO NOT over pay for any used luxury vehicle and find a BMW mechanic shop that does good work for a reasonable price.

AN INEXPENSIVE WAY TO LUXURY AND FUN!!!!
By Robert

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my BMW X5 6 speed with 94K miles on her. She's a 9 out of 10. The truck has every possible option. Navigation is simple to use, the heated seats keep my back relaxed, the tight steering is awesome, the gear box is smooth and easy, and the truck rides like a dream. I also purchased a 4 year and/ or additional 60k mile bumper to bumper warranty that covers everything, including the clutch. This is hands down the best SUV I have ever owned, and will look for another one real soon to store away for future use, which I will use, once I drive the doors off this baby I'm in now.............If you want an incredibly fun SUV to drive; a 2004, 2005, or 2006 BMW X5 is your truck. But a manual transmission is the ONLY way to go. They're hard to find; but once you do your research and acquire one, you will not look back. And 20 miles per gallon doesn't hurt either. HAPPY HUNTING!!!

Where i went wrong
By Larry

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a 06 Bmw x5 6months ago within the first two weeks i knew where i went wrong BOUGHT A BMW
Here's the thing about it
Yes it runs rides and handles awesome but that doesn't make up for the lemon it is
Within the first two weeks the mirrors started going crazy then the rear wiper wouldn't stop honestly it ran until it stripped the splines the headliner started falling and when i push nearly any button on the dash as soon as i lift my finger the buttons fly off at me then the driver window fell next the passenger fell followed by the right rear im like lmao $13k just thrown away not to mention burning a quart of oil every 1k miles
As far as traveling yeah i trust it but im worried about the electrical system but who knows what part Will [non-permissible content removed] next
By the way FOR SELL $8K
My loss your gain

Beware the 4.4i N62 engine- known issues
By Adam

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The N62 (X5 4.4) is notorious for a valve stem deal issue which is a $4000 repair. For more evidence search "X5 white smoke cloud." This happens around 130000 miles, which I just reached. Avoid this model at all costs, and stick with the 6 cylinder which is a much more reliable vehicle. Such a shame and a waste of money in my case. The car is awesome with the exception of this fatal flaw.