2006 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
BMW lover no more
By 2cents2 on 01/17/14 19:48 PM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 328is which was a truly great car. This led me to believe that buying a used 2006 X5 4.4i with very low mileage was a safe bet. Wrong. We have owned it for 18 months - and had non-stop troubles - expense - and time wasted at the shop. The latest - It has taken BMW 8 months and 5 trips to the dealer to determine what is causing the coolant leak we have. We still aren't 100% sure - but now they think the heads will need to be replaced - or perhaps the entire engine. $25K wasted on this vehicle. I'll never buy BMW again. The ultimate driving machine - for driving to the shop.

[non-permissible content removed]
By natethegreat2 on 05/27/13 21:22 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, when it works. It's beautiful, sounds great, fast, has a ton of features, but if its over 100k miles prepare to repair, paying all along the way. Since I've bought this mean machine, I've had to fix it, not once, not twice, not thrice, but EVERY week since I bought it (I've had it six months.) Every week, like German clockwork (if the clocks were designed to break) I've had to build and rebuild this car. Head gasket, exterior door handle, side lights, interior door handle, head lights, cv joints, alternator bracket gasket (didn't even know there was such a thing) window regulator, just so many things one thing right after another. Don't buy one without a warranty

very intriguing sav
By minghi on 02/12/11 05:54 AM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased it exactly 15 months ago as a cpo with the 6yr/100k warranty but hardly ever needed it during the 30k i put on it. very few things have gone wrong like a minor rattle from the engine bay turning out to be a/c fan plastic clips and failed driver side window switch after i left it open in rain by mistake (my fault). dealer fixed both, no questions asked. other than that, its been excellent & trouble free and i've taken it on numerous long trips since i owned it. the interior comfort and materials fit & finish is top notch and exterior looks good too. I've the 3.0i which has excellent low end torque (take off) but OK highway torque (you need to step up to the bigger v8s for better)

Bought Used
By Kyle Z on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

BMW X5 Rocks!
By snife77 on 10/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and after 3 months of research I bought this used X5 with almost all bells and whistles. Lot of heads turn when you drive around the town. The ride is phenomenal and feel the comfort immediately. Excellent safety features and you can see it immediately when you open the door which is HEAVY with plenty of steel bars inside. Though its a SUV it rides like a car and the performance is awesome and never felt this on any other SUV like ML or Lexus. BMW is a BMW and its King on the road!

Pleasure to drive
By suzy on 06/30/10 20:31 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW and my favorite. (also have a 318 and 540)This SAV handles like a dream, the rumble of the awesome 4.8 L is amazing to hear. And talk about fast, my 540 is fast it has a 4.4, but this thing is neck breaking quick! The tires on this thing are monsters, very intense looking, the interior is roomy and very comfy and well appointed, I just love this vehicle! I like the clam shell hatch, it is more functional then I thought it would be. The radio is fantastic, I find the on board computer/navigation easy to use, don't know why some people complain they must not be very smart! I have the LeMans blue, it is beautiful! If you want speed, beauty, comfort, and great handling, buy one!

Muscle Car SUV
By Greens on 06/23/10 14:36 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My X5 4.8is truly combines luxury and sport. This car sounds like a Porsche 911 on the outside and like a Bentley on the inside. I don't need it for commuting so it gets to sleep in the garage most of the week. But when it is time to play, it is rested and ready. It hugs you and the road nicely. Although I have loved the X5 look for years, I never thought the 3.0 had enough kick so 355 hp was the perfect remedy. I'm not using it off- road but it will tow some toys. With 4 years and 45k miles I went ahead and purchased a 60 month 60k mile (additional)B-2-B warranty for $3k as I have heard that some of the regular repairs can get costly.

The first of many!
By Lauren on 04/22/10 15:46 PM (PDT)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I LOVE IT! It's tight handling and turning radius are superior to even the sports car I previously owned. The ride is smooth and it has plenty of get-up and go! It has just enough space, not too much, not to little and I love the winter package. The heated seats and stearing wheel are amazing. I do not have the in dash navigation, which I prefer as my CD player is in the dash. The in dash display does still have many of the monitoring features, such as the ave gas mpg, distance/time trip settings, etc. Clean lines and great handling! I will always have a BMW!

My Baby
By Ben on 12/18/09 07:50 AM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the car since new. It comes with Premium, Sport, Rear Climate Packages. It is a 10/05 production. I have enjoyed the premium package with the great leather and the rear shades are great! But the sport package is great when on smooth roads only when on rough roads, it gets a little bumpy. But nonetheless, I do like the self leveling suspension and air shocks that come with that. I have not had to fix anything just regular oil changes all covered under warranty, for the first four years. Now it is out of warranty and had to replace the thermostat. Not too bad knock on wood. But overall I love driving it!

BMW 2006 X5
By Jason Hoppa on 11/24/09 08:28 AM (PST)

2006 BMW X5 SUV 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Best vehicle that I have ever owned. We now have 2 BMW's. Very reliable and great in any weather.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.