Used 2006 BMW X5 4.8is Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Pleasure to drive
By suzy

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW and my favorite. (also have a 318 and 540)This SAV handles like a dream, the rumble of the awesome 4.8 L is amazing to hear. And talk about fast, my 540 is fast it has a 4.4, but this thing is neck breaking quick! The tires on this thing are monsters, very intense looking, the interior is roomy and very comfy and well appointed, I just love this vehicle! I like the clam shell hatch, it is more functional then I thought it would be. The radio is fantastic, I find the on board computer/navigation easy to use, don't know why some people complain they must not be very smart! I have the LeMans blue, it is beautiful! If you want speed, beauty, comfort, and great handling, buy one!

Engine roar! It rides surprisingly smooth for an all sport car. The beige on black interior is beautiful and very comfy seats! The LeMans blue is eye catching, everyone compliments it. Pano roof is so cool, cup holders are awesome compared to my 540. Headlights are GREAT!

None so far, gas mileage stinks but if you are worried about that buy a prius. Headroom in rear is a little low for tall people, but the reclining rear seats help a little with that, and they are electric so its cool!

Muscle Car SUV
By Greens

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My X5 4.8is truly combines luxury and sport. This car sounds like a Porsche 911 on the outside and like a Bentley on the inside. I don't need it for commuting so it gets to sleep in the garage most of the week. But when it is time to play, it is rested and ready. It hugs you and the road nicely. Although I have loved the X5 look for years, I never thought the 3.0 had enough kick so 355 hp was the perfect remedy. I'm not using it off- road but it will tow some toys. With 4 years and 45k miles I went ahead and purchased a 60 month 60k mile (additional)B-2-B warranty for $3k as I have heard that some of the regular repairs can get costly.

Look and feel. Big wheels and low profile tires 20". Rumbles when you start it up and punch it. Back seats recline - all seats heated. Huge moonroof. Handles great. 24 gallon gas tank - ave. 18 MPG around town. Blue tooth. Heavy doors makes it feel safe like a Panzer. Great crash test ratings.

Move the CD changer from the cargo area. Get rid of the cassette 'tape' player option.

2006 BMW X5
By fikas

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

A perfect car! Awesome. If you need a big sports car, you will never find a better one than this 4.8is. Its acceleration is shocking, brakes, steering and everything. Don't hesitate to get one.

Panoramic sun roof, heated seats and retracable cargo floor.

Bluetooth phone really need to be replaced. Logic 7 would have been better than the dsp.

Repeat Customer
By redrocket

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW and this absolutely the best so far. There was no question as to what car to purchase when we wanted a new vehicle. As an added bonus, BMW has improved this model with better mileage, better handling and a few interior changes such as the huge sun/moonroof, (my last one was identical but 4.6is). I enjoy driving this car because it is so safe, solid, comfortable and responsive. I like the SAV aspect because I can fold the back seats to accommodate my bicycle or opt to put a rack on the rear. I would recommend this car to everyone.

The body style, I love it! I like wheels and safe solid handling. I love the heated leather seats and steering wheel too!

Blue tooth phone capability needs improvement, works ok with cingular razor but could be better. Navigation system could be easier to use. AC in rear could be more efficient for back seat passengers. An iPod plug in dash or glove box would be great, I was disappointed when I did not find that.

X5, The Other Side Of SUV`s
By Diego

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I love driving, and I mean driving, searching for the limits of my car in a twisty road that I have to take to go to work everyday, but I have never driven something like my brand new BMW X5is. It is powerful enough to climb any place I want, and it can go offroad with style too, but that`s not what this car is about. This thing is just perfect for those who seek true sports car performance and need a little more room in the rear seat plus go offroad some times.

Power.... lots of it. Handling - awesome for a vehicle this size. Braking power - ridiculously powerful braking system.

I would like to see more agressive exterior styling