Used 2006 BMW X5 4.4i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

BMW lover no more
By 2cents2

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 328is which was a truly great car. This led me to believe that buying a used 2006 X5 4.4i with very low mileage was a safe bet. Wrong. We have owned it for 18 months - and had non-stop troubles - expense - and time wasted at the shop. The latest - It has taken BMW 8 months and 5 trips to the dealer to determine what is causing the coolant leak we have. We still aren't 100% sure - but now they think the heads will need to be replaced - or perhaps the entire engine. $25K wasted on this vehicle. I'll never buy BMW again. The ultimate driving machine - for driving to the shop.

Favorite Features

ride is great for an suv

Suggested Improvements

Maybe BMW should get a Japanese company to design their engines for them.

[non-permissible content removed]
By natethegreat2

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, when it works. It's beautiful, sounds great, fast, has a ton of features, but if its over 100k miles prepare to repair, paying all along the way. Since I've bought this mean machine, I've had to fix it, not once, not twice, not thrice, but EVERY week since I bought it (I've had it six months.) Every week, like German clockwork (if the clocks were designed to break) I've had to build and rebuild this car. Head gasket, exterior door handle, side lights, interior door handle, head lights, cv joints, alternator bracket gasket (didn't even know there was such a thing) window regulator, just so many things one thing right after another. Don't buy one without a warranty

Favorite Features

Exhaust rumble. By far.

Suggested Improvements

Don't let the german engineers lay awake at night, thinking up new ways to make repairs on this car a nightmare. everything is insanely hard to get to, you have to let mechanics do it.

Bought Used
By Kyle Z

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

Favorite Features

Love the engine and the exterior/interior looks of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system can use some improvement (I do not have DSP).

2006 BMW X5 4.4 CPO
By Steve

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This X5 has been great so far. Had 26,500 miles on it fully loaded. Absolutely pristine condition inside and out. Excellent driving on winding roads and certainly plenty of power for the freeways. Gas mileage could be better so still getting used to that. Only design flaw I find is the Navigation unit and its location for glare and the cup holders. Both were rectified in the 2007 but getting this for $35K I consider a good deal versus pricing of new models.

Favorite Features

I like the whole X5 experience. Everything has been good.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of navigation/radio unit, Ipod adapter should have been included and cup holders redesigned.

2006 X5 4.4
By Rick

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Leased the beast for 36mo with 3 months remaining. Prior SUV was the Infiniti FX45...X5 is superior in all aspects. No pops, leaks, squeaks or rattles...not one repair. Still drives like new. A perfect all around SUV that performed very well on our icy mountain roads. Average 18mpg. I hope to buyout this X5 at lease end.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel, X drive.

Suggested Improvements

2007 model took care of any shortcomings.