Used 2006 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 BMW X5 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Unreliable and horrific repair costs.
By Lisa Davis

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I certainly get the fun to drive and German engineering concept. It is. Other than that, the experience has been nothing short of pathetic. I just don't know how BMW can build a car this poorly. Read the blogs because there is so much common ground with what you can expect. Fan clutch, gasket failure, window regulators, taillight failure, door handles, , etc... It just never stops. To make matters worse, BMW built this car for 6 years and never addressed these problems. I will never take this car on a trip for fear that Ill be stranded and stuck paying thousands to get it running. Cant wait to unload it. Bad company and bad car. Don't buy.

Styling.

Engineering without attention to quality is horrendous.

very intriguing sav
By minghi

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased it exactly 15 months ago as a cpo with the 6yr/100k warranty but hardly ever needed it during the 30k i put on it. very few things have gone wrong like a minor rattle from the engine bay turning out to be a/c fan plastic clips and failed driver side window switch after i left it open in rain by mistake (my fault). dealer fixed both, no questions asked. other than that, its been excellent & trouble free and i've taken it on numerous long trips since i owned it. the interior comfort and materials fit & finish is top notch and exterior looks good too. I've the 3.0i which has excellent low end torque (take off) but OK highway torque (you need to step up to the bigger v8s for better)

i've the factory base model, no options other than auto transmission. i really didn't care for options as i need reliability more than anything else (i drove a 07 toyota prius before this and couldn't stand it anymore (boring)- but then it was 100% reliable for the 2yr/60k miles i owned it - i never ever took it to a dealer for anything other than oil changes) and i'm very happy to say that this cpo'd x5 has been super reliable too. I avoided the bigger v8s since i used to have a few bmw 7-ser v8s (2005/2008/2003) and there was always something wrong with the engines in them. Also, if you plan to get any bmw cpo, check the service records & certification report just to make sure they add up

lol, nothing can be improved now since its last year was '06 but i wish it had more trunk space and oh, the stock stereo/speakers sound like crap. maybe germans don't care about listening to music on the way to work but we do. i'll try getting the speakers changed sometime.

BMW X5 Rocks!
By snife77

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and after 3 months of research I bought this used X5 with almost all bells and whistles. Lot of heads turn when you drive around the town. The ride is phenomenal and feel the comfort immediately. Excellent safety features and you can see it immediately when you open the door which is HEAVY with plenty of steel bars inside. Though its a SUV it rides like a car and the performance is awesome and never felt this on any other SUV like ML or Lexus. BMW is a BMW and its King on the road!

Very smooth ride and the way it drives is amazing. It hugs the road nicely and built solid. - xenon lights - panoramic sunroof - heated seats, steering wheel - sun shades - nav system - integrated bluetooth phone - 12 way memory seats - headlight washers - safety - upgraded music system w/ woofer

The genius who designed to put the CD changer behind (and the cassette player is at front, any one uses cassettes any more?) should be fired if not already and BMW should hire a common sense person to put the CD changers at front. nav system could have been more intuitive

The first of many!
By Lauren

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I LOVE IT! It's tight handling and turning radius are superior to even the sports car I previously owned. The ride is smooth and it has plenty of get-up and go! It has just enough space, not too much, not to little and I love the winter package. The heated seats and stearing wheel are amazing. I do not have the in dash navigation, which I prefer as my CD player is in the dash. The in dash display does still have many of the monitoring features, such as the ave gas mpg, distance/time trip settings, etc. Clean lines and great handling! I will always have a BMW!

Panoramic moonroof, heated seats and stearing wheel, safe and sturdy ride

Gas mileage will take some getting used to, but it's better than I expected (ave 19 mpg)

My Baby
By Ben

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the car since new. It comes with Premium, Sport, Rear Climate Packages. It is a 10/05 production. I have enjoyed the premium package with the great leather and the rear shades are great! But the sport package is great when on smooth roads only when on rough roads, it gets a little bumpy. But nonetheless, I do like the self leveling suspension and air shocks that come with that. I have not had to fix anything just regular oil changes all covered under warranty, for the first four years. Now it is out of warranty and had to replace the thermostat. Not too bad knock on wood. But overall I love driving it!

The panoramic sun/moon roof, Leather seats, Rear shades, Clamshell hatch, Xenon headlamps, flashlight in glovebox, On-board computer (though a little outdated), auto climate,and Xdrive I guess everything.

On board computer can be a little more advanced, though the new idrive system is not all that, Navi could be touch screen and voice activated, Needs to have cd changer in front. I guess the newer models took care of some of the improvements though, it now feels like a soccer mom car.