2006 BMW X5 3.0i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Bmw X5 - Consumer Reviews

2006 X5 Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Sort Reviews by

Unreliable and horrific repair costs.
By Lisa Davis

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I certainly get the fun to drive and German engineering concept. It is. Other than that, the experience has been nothing short of pathetic. I just don't know how BMW can build a car this poorly. Read the blogs because there is so much common ground with what you can expect. Fan clutch, gasket failure, window regulators, taillight failure, door handles, , etc... It just never stops. To make matters worse, BMW built this car for 6 years and never addressed these problems. I will never take this car on a trip for fear that Ill be stranded and stuck paying thousands to get it running. Cant wait to unload it. Bad company and bad car. Don't buy.

Favorite Features

Styling.

Suggested Improvements

Engineering without attention to quality is horrendous.

BMW lover no more
By 2cents2

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I owned a 328is which was a truly great car. This led me to believe that buying a used 2006 X5 4.4i with very low mileage was a safe bet. Wrong. We have owned it for 18 months - and had non-stop troubles - expense - and time wasted at the shop. The latest - It has taken BMW 8 months and 5 trips to the dealer to determine what is causing the coolant leak we have. We still aren't 100% sure - but now they think the heads will need to be replaced - or perhaps the entire engine. $25K wasted on this vehicle. I'll never buy BMW again. The ultimate driving machine - for driving to the shop.

Favorite Features

ride is great for an suv

Suggested Improvements

Maybe BMW should get a Japanese company to design their engines for them.

[non-permissible content removed]
By natethegreat2

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This car is amazing, when it works. It's beautiful, sounds great, fast, has a ton of features, but if its over 100k miles prepare to repair, paying all along the way. Since I've bought this mean machine, I've had to fix it, not once, not twice, not thrice, but EVERY week since I bought it (I've had it six months.) Every week, like German clockwork (if the clocks were designed to break) I've had to build and rebuild this car. Head gasket, exterior door handle, side lights, interior door handle, head lights, cv joints, alternator bracket gasket (didn't even know there was such a thing) window regulator, just so many things one thing right after another. Don't buy one without a warranty

Favorite Features

Exhaust rumble. By far.

Suggested Improvements

Don't let the german engineers lay awake at night, thinking up new ways to make repairs on this car a nightmare. everything is insanely hard to get to, you have to let mechanics do it.

very intriguing sav
By minghi

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased it exactly 15 months ago as a cpo with the 6yr/100k warranty but hardly ever needed it during the 30k i put on it. very few things have gone wrong like a minor rattle from the engine bay turning out to be a/c fan plastic clips and failed driver side window switch after i left it open in rain by mistake (my fault). dealer fixed both, no questions asked. other than that, its been excellent & trouble free and i've taken it on numerous long trips since i owned it. the interior comfort and materials fit & finish is top notch and exterior looks good too. I've the 3.0i which has excellent low end torque (take off) but OK highway torque (you need to step up to the bigger v8s for better)

Favorite Features

i've the factory base model, no options other than auto transmission. i really didn't care for options as i need reliability more than anything else (i drove a 07 toyota prius before this and couldn't stand it anymore (boring)- but then it was 100% reliable for the 2yr/60k miles i owned it - i never ever took it to a dealer for anything other than oil changes) and i'm very happy to say that this cpo'd x5 has been super reliable too. I avoided the bigger v8s since i used to have a few bmw 7-ser v8s (2005/2008/2003) and there was always something wrong with the engines in them. Also, if you plan to get any bmw cpo, check the service records & certification report just to make sure they add up

Suggested Improvements

lol, nothing can be improved now since its last year was '06 but i wish it had more trunk space and oh, the stock stereo/speakers sound like crap. maybe germans don't care about listening to music on the way to work but we do. i'll try getting the speakers changed sometime.

Bought Used
By Kyle Z

2006 BMW X5 4.4i 4dr SUV AWD (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is my second BMW and my first second hand car. I was worried about the reliability of the X5 but it's been two years, 44,000 km and the car has been solid. I love the V8 in this bad boy. I just want anyone that may be second guessing about the reliability of the X5 to just go out and get it! No disappointments! I get great mileage on the car, around 600-650 km a tank. I drive about 65% HWY and 35% city.

Favorite Features

Love the engine and the exterior/interior looks of the car.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system can use some improvement (I do not have DSP).

BMW X5 Rocks!
By snife77

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and after 3 months of research I bought this used X5 with almost all bells and whistles. Lot of heads turn when you drive around the town. The ride is phenomenal and feel the comfort immediately. Excellent safety features and you can see it immediately when you open the door which is HEAVY with plenty of steel bars inside. Though its a SUV it rides like a car and the performance is awesome and never felt this on any other SUV like ML or Lexus. BMW is a BMW and its King on the road!

Favorite Features

Very smooth ride and the way it drives is amazing. It hugs the road nicely and built solid. - xenon lights - panoramic sunroof - heated seats, steering wheel - sun shades - nav system - integrated bluetooth phone - 12 way memory seats - headlight washers - safety - upgraded music system w/ woofer

Suggested Improvements

The genius who designed to put the CD changer behind (and the cassette player is at front, any one uses cassettes any more?) should be fired if not already and BMW should hire a common sense person to put the CD changers at front. nav system could have been more intuitive

Pleasure to drive
By suzy

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

This is my 3rd BMW and my favorite. (also have a 318 and 540)This SAV handles like a dream, the rumble of the awesome 4.8 L is amazing to hear. And talk about fast, my 540 is fast it has a 4.4, but this thing is neck breaking quick! The tires on this thing are monsters, very intense looking, the interior is roomy and very comfy and well appointed, I just love this vehicle! I like the clam shell hatch, it is more functional then I thought it would be. The radio is fantastic, I find the on board computer/navigation easy to use, don't know why some people complain they must not be very smart! I have the LeMans blue, it is beautiful! If you want speed, beauty, comfort, and great handling, buy one!

Favorite Features

Engine roar! It rides surprisingly smooth for an all sport car. The beige on black interior is beautiful and very comfy seats! The LeMans blue is eye catching, everyone compliments it. Pano roof is so cool, cup holders are awesome compared to my 540. Headlights are GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

None so far, gas mileage stinks but if you are worried about that buy a prius. Headroom in rear is a little low for tall people, but the reclining rear seats help a little with that, and they are electric so its cool!

Muscle Car SUV
By Greens

2006 BMW X5 4.8is 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

My X5 4.8is truly combines luxury and sport. This car sounds like a Porsche 911 on the outside and like a Bentley on the inside. I don't need it for commuting so it gets to sleep in the garage most of the week. But when it is time to play, it is rested and ready. It hugs you and the road nicely. Although I have loved the X5 look for years, I never thought the 3.0 had enough kick so 355 hp was the perfect remedy. I'm not using it off- road but it will tow some toys. With 4 years and 45k miles I went ahead and purchased a 60 month 60k mile (additional)B-2-B warranty for $3k as I have heard that some of the regular repairs can get costly.

Favorite Features

Look and feel. Big wheels and low profile tires 20". Rumbles when you start it up and punch it. Back seats recline - all seats heated. Huge moonroof. Handles great. 24 gallon gas tank - ave. 18 MPG around town. Blue tooth. Heavy doors makes it feel safe like a Panzer. Great crash test ratings.

Suggested Improvements

Move the CD changer from the cargo area. Get rid of the cassette 'tape' player option.

The first of many!
By Lauren

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW and I LOVE IT! It's tight handling and turning radius are superior to even the sports car I previously owned. The ride is smooth and it has plenty of get-up and go! It has just enough space, not too much, not to little and I love the winter package. The heated seats and stearing wheel are amazing. I do not have the in dash navigation, which I prefer as my CD player is in the dash. The in dash display does still have many of the monitoring features, such as the ave gas mpg, distance/time trip settings, etc. Clean lines and great handling! I will always have a BMW!

Favorite Features

Panoramic moonroof, heated seats and stearing wheel, safe and sturdy ride

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage will take some getting used to, but it's better than I expected (ave 19 mpg)

My Baby
By Ben

2006 BMW X5 3.0i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the car since new. It comes with Premium, Sport, Rear Climate Packages. It is a 10/05 production. I have enjoyed the premium package with the great leather and the rear shades are great! But the sport package is great when on smooth roads only when on rough roads, it gets a little bumpy. But nonetheless, I do like the self leveling suspension and air shocks that come with that. I have not had to fix anything just regular oil changes all covered under warranty, for the first four years. Now it is out of warranty and had to replace the thermostat. Not too bad knock on wood. But overall I love driving it!

Favorite Features

The panoramic sun/moon roof, Leather seats, Rear shades, Clamshell hatch, Xenon headlamps, flashlight in glovebox, On-board computer (though a little outdated), auto climate,and Xdrive I guess everything.

Suggested Improvements

On board computer can be a little more advanced, though the new idrive system is not all that, Navi could be touch screen and voice activated, Needs to have cd changer in front. I guess the newer models took care of some of the improvements though, it now feels like a soccer mom car.