2005 BMW X5 Consumer Review: This is the best- handling SUV

2005 BMW X5 - Consumer Review

3.0i 4dr SUV (3.0L 6-cyl. AWD 6-speed Manual)

This is the best- handling SUV
By RAW on

2005 BMW X5 3.0i AWD 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Still driving this 2005 in 2010, and intend on keeping it. This is the best- handling SUV - perfect size, balance, pick-up. I like it better than the 2006 model, which is wider and feels less nimble. If the seats are too hard for you, buy a Buick. They are just right for a sporty drive. And personally, I love the sound and feel of the heavy 'clunk' of the doors. Heavy they are, safe they are, also. Yet the X5 4.4i never makes you think you're driving a tank (hello Range Rover!). I've never driven any other SUV that had the handling characteristic of this X5. BMW got that one just right.

Power reserve, you can always kick it up a notch and zip past a slow poke if necessary. Solid drive feel, great seats, ample room (6'3), panorama sunroof, flat folding rear seats, adaptive headlights, great build quality & interior fit & finish. Still tight after 5 years. Bluetooth phone.

iPod adapter can't be integrated into onboard stereo (can't control iPod through steering wheel controls).
By kona358
on 03/20/11 20:57 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW X5 4.4l My experience is similar to this comment above. Awesome power and torque for quick passing. Great build quality; beautiful wood work; great brakes, handles like a dream. panoramic sunroof leaked initially after a severe rainstorm with sunroof open; never since, once dried out; beautiful seats and leather. instruments great but non intuitive GPS. This car was built for me on special order and I have no complaints but only 31,000 miles in 6 years. I had an i-pod adapter installed but it works poorly. CD changer is just fine as is and the stereo is first rate. I don't have negative comments except my wife doesn't like it. She calls it the Bulldog. It's a drivers car. Guess I'll just keep it.